“A Lovely Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Stamford
Suffolk, United Kingdom
“A Lovely Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

I am not easily pleased when it comes to hotels but I have to say that I have absolutely no complaints about the William Cecil. I had a very spacious comfortable room on the ground floor at the back with of course an en suite bathroom with bath and shower but, to my surprise, an en suite garden as well! Never had that before. It was lovely especially as the weather was so fantastic. The bed was huge and very comfortable. The food in the restaurant was excellent for dinner and breakfast. But what really makes this hotel, in addition to its delightful quirkiness, is the staff all of whom are friendly, efficient and helpful. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble. To give just one example: for medical reasons I cannot have puddings although I did not disclose this but simply commented that I would have had a fresh fruit salad had it been on the menu but it wasn't. Within minutes a fresh fruit salad was brought to me at the table. I was absolutely delighted. The staff are clearly well trained and, I suspect, hand-picked. This must come from the top. I stayed here for three days with two friends. We had a marvellous time and we have decided to go again next year. Recommended without any hesitation.

Room Tip: I gather the rooms overlooking the road can be noisy so perhaps it's best to ask for a room away...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lawrence N
PaulBrn, Manager at The William Cecil at Stamford, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Thank you for your excellent review. We're delighted that you got to experience all aspects of the hotel. We're proud as punch that you've decided to return to us again next year. Maybe you could dine at our little sister, the Bull and Swan next time you're with us...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

I only stayed one night but had a really great stay. The hotel is in walking distance of both Stamford and Burghley House (a lovely walk through the grounds). My room was commodious and comfortable and there were quirky and interesting pictures and objects all around. The service was excellent with lots of choice for breakfast. I hope to return to Stamford and stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
We too hope you return soon! It was a real pleasure to host you whilst in Stamford. The whole team are very grateful for your kind comments.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

My hubby and I spent 2 nights at the William Cecil celebrating our anniversary and had a really fantastic time. The staff couldn’t have been more welcoming and helpful - they even went as far as giving us a courtesy call prior to our late arrival to offer cold plates of food to be sent to our room in case we arrived after the restaurant closed, and put an anniversary card in our room! Our room was lovely - extremely comfortable, the bed enormous and the shower luxuriously powerful! Breakfast was delicious with tons on offer. The only things lacking (which I would expect from a ‘deluxe’ room at such a quality hotel) were hotel slippers and bath robes but these are minor points in what was otherwise a perfect stay.

Room Tip: St Martins is a busy street (I used to live on it!) so pick a room at the back if you're a light...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We were so pleased to hear that you were spending your anniversary with us so I'm delighted you had such a pleasant stay. I'm afraid we're not really a slippers kind of place, but we do provide lovely fluffy bathrobes in all our luxury rooms.
Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

The William Cecil is ideally situated within walking distance of Stamford town centre. The delightful staff certainly lived up to the aims of the Group to which the hotel belongs to provide quality customer service. Nothing was too much trouble for them. We stayed for just two nights and were sorry our stay was so short. The hotel building is centuries old and has much charm with long uneven corridors and many interesting artefacts. Our room was comfortable with clear attention to detail. We ate in the restaurant each evening and the food was top quality. However, the highlight for me was breakfast. I have not seen such an extensive and interesting breakfast menu. Brilliant.

Room Tip: The hotel is located on a main road into Stamford and unless traffic noise does not trouble you a ro...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your very kind review. It's a real pleasure to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay. I will make sure I pass on your lovely comments to our team.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at the William Cecil. Everything was perfect from the booking procedure, the welcome when we arrived and the upgraded room which we paid for was really comfortable, spacious and well maintained. We also had the benefit of French windows which opened onto a lovely garden which was like our own private space.
The hotel was recommended to us by our friends who we were visiting in the area. There is another more expensive hotel in Stamford but this really had everything we wanted and it would be difficult to find something better.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely review. We're really glad you enjoyed your stay and pleased as punch to hear that we were recommended by your friends who live locally. We hope you'll choose to stay with us again, next time you're in Stamford.
Lincolnshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

I am writing this review on behalf of my parents because they aren't online but really wanted me to put something on here about their stay - they recently enjoyed a night's bnb at the wonderful William Cecil with their labrador, Freddie.
All three had a fantastic time and Freddie was warmly welcomed by all the staff he met and made to feel very at home - he doesn't visit hotels a lot (in fact I think this is the first time, at 11 years old!) so my parents were unsure how relaxed he would be, but they needn't have worried - he was totally at ease from the minute he set paw in the place and settled down so quickly.
This hotel could not be better for a dog-friendly stay - dog beds are available (although my parents took his along), your dog can sit with you in the conservatory for dinner (which my parents THOROUGHLY enjoyed) and there is even a doggy menu! My parents had glorious weather and enjoyed sitting on the large patio in the sun with Freddie, playing with him on the lawns near the marquee and walking him in the evening in Burghley Park (you can access it via the hotel gardens and there is loads of space for stick-throwing etc). The next day they walked him from the hotel to see the old Wothorpe Towers up the road - beautiful!
Although there are so many things to love about this hotel, including the beautiful building itself, grounds and high standard of interior design, the most impressive thing is the quality of staff. You simply cannot fault them - they are always smiling, helpful and very friendly to dogs and humans alike! A big claws up!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
PaulBrn, Manager at The William Cecil at Stamford, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Thank you for your magnificent review. It was an absolute pleasure looking after Freddie and his parents. Now that Freddie is a seasoned traveller we all hope he'll return to the William Cecil very soon!
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

We stayed one night in this beautiful hotel. Receptionist very friendly when we arrived and showed us to our room. She offered several times to help with our luggage. The hotel is immaculately presented. Our room, (number 3) on the ground floor was beautiful, with lots of little extra touches. The ensuite was large, with a roll top bath.

Dinner was delicious, lots of choice, well cooked and vegetarian choices too. Staff very friendly and helpful.

Breakfast in the conservatory next morning was lovely. I saw that the previous reviewer bemoaned the lack of eggs benedict, but they were definitely on the menu yesterday, together with haddock, kippers, full English; egg and soldiers, sausage or bacon sandwiches and other egg dishes that I can't remember. There was the buffet with fruit and continental breakfast too, so definitely a huge choice.

Wished we could have stayed longer and will definitely return, as well as visiting the sister hotels.

1 Thank Mandy A
PaulBrn, Manager at The William Cecil at Stamford, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you for your great review. I'm pleased breakfast was such a triumph for you as we try hard to ensure it's a very memorable experience for all our guests.

We hope to see you soon, whether it be back at the William Cecil or at one of our lovely sister properties.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
The George Of Stamford
Hambleton Hall
Hambleton Hall
#1 of 1 in Hambleton
Barnsdale Lodge Hotel and Restaurant

Been to The William Cecil at Stamford? Share your experiences!