“Our whole stay was a real treat.”

The William Cecil at Stamford
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Stamford
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I highly recommend a stay at The Cecil to anyone planning a trip to Stamford and or Burghley house. Everything about our stay was a real treat which was exactly what I had been hoping for. I took advantage of the Burghley deal offered by the hotel. This included a two for one offer to visit Burghley house, room, dinner and breakfast at the hotel. I made the reservation from abroad and requested that the ticket for two for one entrance be sent ahead to my mother as we wanted to visit Burghley house the day of our stay and it happens to be closed on a Friday. This was done without question or a hitch as promised. Parking was easy and the hotel's location very convenient to all that Stamford has to offer. We were able to walk from the hotel into the town center and there is also access to Burghley house.
We were immediately made to feel welcome on arrival with a friendly greeting at the front desk and were fortunate enough to have our booking upgraded. We were walked to our room by the receptionist which was something of a surprise, but a nice touch.The room we stayed in was beautiful, very spacious with a lovely bathroom and best of all its own wonderful walled garden. The bed was extremely comfortable, though in need of better quality pillows.
Dinner prices were I must say a little steep and the amount allocated to those on the offer only just allowed for two courses. The portions seemed a little small, but were beautifully presented and turned out to be delicious, really well prepared and deceptively filling. Our waiter and waitress were really attentive and did everything they could to make our dining experience a good one. After dinner we ordered drinks from the bar and drank them in the lovely conservatory, another treat.
Breakfast in the morning was again of a very high quality and delicious. Our waiter was the same one who had served us at dinner, but he showed no signs of fatigue and buzzed happily about the room making sure everyone felt welcomed and had everything they needed.
We would happily have stayed another night and would have liked more time to enjoy the outdoor seating area adjacent to the restaurant for lunch which looked lovely.
Everything at this hotel was done to a very high standard and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I am already researching the other hotels in this chain for a future trip and if in the Stamford area, would certainly stay at the Cecil again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
D_Bish0p, Operations Manager at The William Cecil at Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you for your fantastic review. It is wonderful to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. I do hope you have the opportunity to visit one of our other Hillbrooke properties and return to see us again in the future.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

This is a very comfortable hotel. It is located close to Burghley, not far from the centre of the lovely town of Stamford. Although the landings in the older parts of the building are a little cramped, the rooms are large and very well furnished. Beds are comfortable and the bathrooms large. I really enjoyed a short stay here with good food and great service. Definitely worth a visit - for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at The William Cecil and that you took the time to appreciate the thoughtful renovation of the building. I do hope you return to us again soon.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed here on business after much deliberation - I definitely made the right choice. Lovely hotel in a fantastic location with great service. Loved the quirkiness of the hotel and I was upgraded to a larger room which was a nice surprise. Staff couldn't have been more welcoming and friendly which I feel is so important when you are traveling alone. Highly recommend and will definitely be back when I'm next in the area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
D_Bish0p, Operations Manager at The William Cecil at Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to read that you felt so welcome; we are very proud of our staff and the atmosphere they strive to create at The William Cecil. I do hope you return to us soon.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I decided to stay here rather than central Peterborough whilst working there. Great location, so easy to drive into Peterborough. All hotel staff were welcoming and couldn't do enough to help, service I'm restaurant was superb. my room was very clean and comfortable, quality toiletries and good selection of tea, coffee etc, but was a bit on the small side. I'd definitely recommend this hotel and look forward to staying again, but would request a larger room next time. I booked very late and got the last remaining room.

• Stayed: April 2013
D_Bish0p, Operations Manager at The William Cecil at Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review. It is fantastic to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of your stay including the amenities in your room. I do hope you return to us soon.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Have just returned from the William Cecil,a gift to us on a BuyaGift voucher. Could not fault any aspect of our stay. The young staff were brilliant, being courteous,attentive and friendly. Loved the Georgian feel of the building and general ambience. Our room was very well appointed,with well stocked and top quality beverage making bits, including cafetiere and nice biscuits. Appreciated the convenient location and ample parking facilities. We got two for one admission to Burleigh House through tie in with hotel which was very welcome. Must mention the restaurant where we enjoyed beautifully prepared and presented food.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
D_Bish0p, Operations Manager at The William Cecil at Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you took advantage of the 2 for 1 offer to see Burghley House; it really is a must see when in Stamford.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just arrived home from a fantastic weekend at this brilliant hotel which we booked as part of buy a gift. From start to finish we thoroughly enjoyed every moment. We were given an early check in of 1.30pm free of charge, on arrival we were greeted by a very friendly receptionist who personally showed us to our room which was no 10, "culpepper tanner". Wow what a lovely bright spacious room and bathroom which were very clean. The refreshment tray was very good with a great selection of hand made biscuits, tea pigs, hot chocolate and cafetiere coffee along with mineral water and best of all sloe gin which was fantastic! The bathroom was huge and had the best shower we have ever had in a hotel and was "mould free" which is great as too many hotels these days fail on this, we also had complimentary toiletries which smelt amazing along with even an emery board. We stayed for 2 nights B & B and the food was fantastic, the continental breakfast selection was plentiful and hot food was made to order which was great as it was piping hot when it came to the table, the choice from the menu was also better than the usual hotel menu with a varied choice which even included fresh salmon and scrambled eggs. The service was a little slow on sunday but more than made up for it on monday as their were fewer guests in the restaurant. The service from reception to the cleaning staff was second to none throughout our stay and they even turned down our bed, put the radiators on and also replenished any thing that we had used. This was a wonderful break thanks to the commitment from the staff and we will definitely be returning, we have stayed in lots of hotels but this is at the top of our list. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda M

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the hotel. We spent a lot of time deciding what products to place in our rooms and I must confess to enjoying the sloe gin very much as well; thank you Godminster! I do hope you return to one of our Hillbrooke properties very soon.

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

This was actually my third choice of hotel to stay in in Stamford as my first two preferences were fully booked. However, following a wonderful stay here I couldn't recommend it higher and I'm thankful that the other two hotels were fully booked.
The staff were very friendly and helpful. The bed was incredibly comfortable (we stayed in the Lady Betty room). The shower was powerful and spotlessly clean.
We ate in the restaurant in the evening and my mother said the fish and chips she ordered were the best she's ever tasted.
Another great benefit of staying here is the very large and free carpark.
A perfect place to stay for visiting the town or Burley House.

• Stayed: April 2013
D_Bish0p, Operations Manager at The William Cecil at Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and hope this means we are now your first choice in Stamford. The chef was very pleased to read that your mother thought the Grainstore Brewery beer battered fish & chips were the best she had ever tasted. I do hope that you return to us soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
The George Of Stamford
Barnsdale Hall Hotel
Barnsdale Hall Hotel
#2 of 2 in Barnsdale
Barnsdale Lodge Hotel and Restaurant

Been to The William Cecil at Stamford? Share your experiences!