“Lovely nights stay”

The William Cecil at Stamford
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Stamford
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Had a great evening and a good nights sleep. Lovely comfortable room. Beautiful bathroom.
Food in the restaurant was very good.
The only problem was the fan from the kitchen. However it did stop so by the time we'd eaten and gone back to our room it had gone off.
All in all good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
D_Bish0p, Operations Manager at The William Cecil at Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

We are very appreciative of you taking the time to review The William Cecil. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and meal with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to us in the near future.

There are newer reviews for The William Cecil at Stamford

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed here for two nights through a deal on secret escapes, I think we paid £90 for a chic double and I wouldn't have wanted to pay full price for the room we had, as I have had a lot nicer rooms at around this price. The room was above the kitchen fan which made a really load sound till around 10pm and then came on early in the morning for cooking breakfast, which woke us up! We did mention it at reception but were just told it went off at10pm there was no offer to move us. There was also peeling paint and wall paper coming off and the view was also not great we could look down on the hotel staff smoking outside the kitchen, so as this was ment to be £160 a night I am not sure if we were given a bad room because we got it on an offer?
The good points were lovely bed and so very comfy with a turn down service at night, we also enjoyed the tea pig teas, lovely biscuits and little free shots of vodka this was a very nice touch. The hotel staff were very friendly and I requested some fresh milk for our tea which they provided straight away. Breakfast was really good and well cooked lots of choice and great service. The location is excellent a quick walk into town where we had two good meals one at the pub a few doors away and one at the cosy club in town. We also walked into the grounds of Burghley house which was closed but a nice walk. Rutland water is a close drive away and so is Peterborough which has good shops and a very grand cathedral. So we did have a great weekend the room it's self did spoil the overall experience for me as they looked very nice on the net, there are probably better rooms but I just didn't get the right one.......

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Helenmelons1968

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback - it is all greatly appreciated. It was disappointing to read that you were not happy with your room on the whole although thankfully it did not appear to spoil your weekend away. We hope to see you at the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

We discovered the William Cecil in November 12 when looking for a hotel close to Tixover. What a great find! The hotel is beautifully designed and deceptively spacious. We had a chic room in November which provided chic luxury with pleasant small touches like the complimentary liquer and plentiful tea tray. January we upgraded to the luxury room and wow what a bathroom, spacious enough for a party! Fantastic shower, twin sinks and freestanding bath. The bed was amazingly comfortable. We had a few drinks in the bar where a large glass of champagne costs £9 which isn't too bad compared to some. The bar has a roaring fire and although we didn't partake the bar menu looked tempting. Breakfast was excellent with good variety. Overall a diamond find we will return.

• Stayed: January 2013
D_Bish0p, Manager at The William Cecil at Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. I will ensure that all of the staff are made aware of your very kind comments. Please do come again.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the William Cecil last night. We stayed in room 17,the Geisha Room. Overall, we found the hotel to be very good. The staff were very pleasant and attentive, the breakfast was excellent and what a refreshing change not to be faced by a pile of indifferent ingredients being kept warm over a water bath! Yes, most elements were excellent: the problems came with the room. I could cope with the almost total absence of windows, but I found the positioning of the TV problematic as I found it difficult to watch from the bed. When this was coupled with the fact that the room contained only one, very uncomfortable upright chair it became a problem. Still, we were only staying one night and we had unpacked so it seem a little OTT to complain at the time. The thing I found extremely disappointing is that, on inspecting customer feedback on TA, I found that exactly the same comments had already been posted (19th August) and the response was that these issues had been taken care of. This is clearly not the case! The situation remains exactly the same!

So, an almost very good stay spoiled by a TV that was not possible to actually watch and a curious shortage of furniture ( a point echoed in several other TA reports). The reassurance that issues have been addressed when they clearly haven't is a little sinister, but this should not deflect from the excellent welcome, service and food that we enjoyed

Room Tip: Avoid Room 17
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Paul T

I do appreciate you taking the time to review The William Cecil and on the whole I can see that you enjoyed your stay here. I was disappointed to read your comments about issues with the room and I will certainly look into the TV bracket problem. We are very proud of the product we offer at The William Cecil and I do take on board all feedback passed on to us, whether it be positive or negative. Please rest assured that any issues brought forward really are looked into. I do hope you will return to The William Cecil

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Nice hotel with good food and wine, and one of the best breakfasts I've had. Rooms nicely decorated, if a little small. A bit of extra spend of the furnishings wouldn't have gone amiss. Location excellent, and the town of Stamford is charming. Staff all friendly and helpful. Perhaps not the best choice for families with young children, as no evening food is available until after 7pm.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank knightsbridgemum

Thank you for taking the time to review The William Cecil. I am sorry you found your room to be a little small. We offer food until 9.30pm on most occasions. I do apologise that this was not the case during your stay. We hope you will visit again so you can enjoy all that The William Cecil has to offer.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

I enjoyed both the location and the feel of the hotel, so this combination proved to be an enjoyable stay. The only negativity was that I was in a nicely decorated room set into the roof, which unless you were under 5'6" meant you felt inclined to stoop as the ceiling was extremely low.

The bed was comfy and the complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits were of a high quality. Breakfast was also relatively decent and the lunch was more than adequate.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank BrickVader
D_Bish0p, Manager at The William Cecil at Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I am sorry you did not find the Pavilion Suite to your liking and I will pass your comments on to our Reception Manager to ensure that the Reservations team make people aware of the height restriction in that room.

I am delighted you enjoyed the amenities in the bedroom and that you found the breakfast and lunch to your liking.

Please do visit us again.

Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here in October and had a great stay. This is a quaint English hotel that lives up to its expectations. We loved the rooms albeit slightly small but being from the US this is to be expected!

I would recommend this hotel but was a bit far to walk for us. Very nice!

• Stayed: October 2012
D_Bish0p, Owner at The William Cecil at Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Thank you very much indeed. I do hope you return to us and thank you for the recommendation.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
The Bull & Swan
#1 of 1 in Hambleton
Haycock Hotel
Haycock Hotel
#17 of 27 in Peterborough

Been to The William Cecil at Stamford? Share your experiences!