“A Surprising place to stay”

The William Cecil at Stamford
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Stamford
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“A Surprising place to stay”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stay in a very quiet and nice hotel for this week-end, the hotel was very clean and the staff was very helpful. It is a very strange historic town full of nice surprises, for those who have not visited this town you must visit it. The Hotel is very nice, I would have loved if the price included breakfast.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
D_Bish0p, Manager at The William Cecil at Stamford, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
We really appreciate you taking the time to review The William Cecil at Stamford and I’m delighted that you really enjoyed your stay with us. All of our prices do include breakfast so I am a little puzzled as to how you managed to book on a room only basis - we actually pride ourselves on always including breakfast in all of our offers.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed at the William Cecil for one night (monday 19th Nov)
On arrival we were a little dissapointed at the size of the room as the rooms on
the internet looked much bigger. The radiator in our room didn't work, which wasn't a
problem for us but then the towel rail in the bathroom was far too hot. We didn't sleep
very well because it was hot (couldn't seem to turn the towel rail down or off) there was a lot of road noise, so if we stay again we will ask for a room at the back.
Having said all of the above, the room was comfortable, especially the enormous bed, the tea/coffee tray was excellent, however we did ask for some more coffee when we arrived back
to our room at 8.30pm, the young lady on reception said she hadn't got any but would send some
up - no one came, so we didn't get our coffee.
Breakfast was lovely, and the staff very friendly, especially the young foreign dark haired chap that served us.
We would deffinately stay here again only in a different room.(Room 15 Pride)
Only pointing out bits that could be improved on.
Compliments to the management and all staff

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back to avoid the busy road noise
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank equestrian2
I will ensure that all of your comments are passed back to the respective departments so that we can act on your comments to ensure we are always improving the experience we give our guests. I am sorry that you felt the rooms were slightly smaller than portrayed on the internet, but I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your breakfast and your stay overall. I do hope that we can welcome you back here in the near future.
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Wish we had written when we got back. Still it was a great stay on a wet Sunday. We had Tijou which we found to be a lovely room at the top of the building. There was a large group staying and the location for us was perfect - no extraneous noise! Overall our food was good , there was a small letdown with the Gravadlax but that did not ruin the meal. Breakfast was delightful and plenty of good quality food.
We hope to be back in the not too distant future

2 Thank Flint77
Thank you very much for taking the time to review The William Cecil at Stamford. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and every aspect of the Hotel. I do hope we are able to welcome you back to here soon.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Booked last minute and received a reduced rate.Stayed one night in Tijou, room 24. Well decorated, spotlessly clean with the most comfortable, enormous bed. Good bathroom with bath and hand held shower. The room is on the second floor at the front but there was no road noise. We enjoyed the breakfast, wide choice of wine and good real ale, but didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment on the food.
Loved the old building but it was the staff who really made our stay so enjoyable. Without exception they were friendly, helpful and courteous.
We have booked a stay at Bull and Swan for January and hope to find the same level of service there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
D_Bish0p, General Manager at The William Cecil at Stamford, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
I was delighted to read your review and I will ensure that all the staff are made aware of your kind comments. Rest assured you will receive the same standard of service at The William Cecil’s little sister The Bull and Swan in January. Thank you for taking the time to review us, it is greatly appreciated.
Midlands
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I spent one night at the William Cecil and have to say I had the best nights sleep I've had in ages. The hotel has recently been refurbished to a very high standard and offers beautiful rooms at a very reasonable price. I would highly recommend booking this hotel over others in Stamford or some of your main chains in and around the Peterborough area. I had room 19 (Virtuous) and it was lovely. One of the biggest, most comfortable beds I have ever slept in and top quality tea and coffee (it's the little touches that make the difference). If I had to be really picky the radiator in the bedroom didn't work but the heated towel rail in the bathroom certainly made up for it. Not only is this a stylish yet cosy hotel but the staff were wonderful. The young lady on reception who checked me in was new. She maybe lacked a bit of local knowledge however she was so friendly that it really didn't matter, another young lady was able to help direct me to the restaurant where I was due to have dinner that evening. On check out a gentleman helped me and encouraged me to stay and have breakfast as it was all home cooked to order, eggs benedict, smoked kippers...such a shame I had to leave early. I stay in a lot of hotels and do get tired of the big corporate chains which seem to lose sight of the fact that they are in the "hospitality" industry. I am happy to say that this is certainly not the case at the William Cecil. I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank aj842
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this wonderful review of The William Cecil at Stamford. I must agree that the beds really are as comfortable as you say - you have to try them to believe it.
I do hope we can welcome you back soon.
Worcester
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed here in February and things were not what they should have been for such a beautifully appointed hotel. Have just stayed again for the weekend to visit the Burghley House Flower Festival.
What a difference, Slicker operation, more staff (who looked much happier and less pressured than last time) and a much better atmosphere. They have a new manager, could this be the answer ?
Was a pleasure and if you are looking for something with character and quirky, would recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: If you are tall, check the ceiling heights of the rooms in the top floors when booking
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
D_Bish0p, General Manager at The William Cecil at Stamford, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you very much for your wonderful review. I am delighted to see that you can recognise the improvement in the staff here at The William Cecil at Stamford.
I hope we will be able to welcome you again soon.
Yaxham
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We have just spent 2 nights in this lovely hotel. Very attentive service from polite, friendly staff. The bedroom was large and bright and the bed very comfy. The food at both breakfast and dinner was excellent. Very good location. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barbara B
D_Bish0p, Operations Manager at The William Cecil at Stamford, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
It was a pleasure to read your review and I hope that we are able to welcome you back to us in the near future. Thank you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
Haycock Hotel
Talbot Hotel
Talbot Hotel
#1 of 1 in Oundle
Best Western Normanton Park Hotel

Been to The William Cecil at Stamford? Share your experiences!