The George Of Stamford
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$253
$233
$110
The Bull & Swan(Stamford)
$209
Haycock Hotel(Peterborough)
$114
$123
Priceline
Candlesticks(Stamford)
TripAdvisor
Sibson Inn Hotel(Peterborough)
No availability for your dates from our partners
TripAdvisor
1,378 results
All reviewsgarden roomoak panelledafternoon teayork bargarden restaurantroast beeflobsterdessert trolleydover soledress codespecial occasionjacket and tiethe main dining roomchristmas decorationsfour posterold coaching innscones
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The restaurant is a treat and always wonderful. Delicious food, fantastic service, relaxed atmosphere and always busy at the weekend. Great location and good shopping nearby. We've only ever had a good experience eating out at The George.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
chrispitman, General Manager at The George Of Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thank you so much for this lovely review. I was so pleased that you enjoyed the restaurant and atmosphere. Everyone works very hard to ensure that the food is delicious and that you are well looked after, so your review is very rewarding! We are in a beautiful location and Stamford does have many wonderful shops. To know that you always have a great experience eating at the George is a really wonderful complement and we thank you. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Thought we would give the George a 2nd chance on Saturday, due to a very bad experience the 1st time when we waited over an hour for our main course, despite bringing it to the attention of the staff 3 times! Well first of all NO Oysters, we ordered our mains and they arrived 15 mins later, mine was the wrong meal, which i sent back and they offered to keep my husbands meal (burger and chips) warm. We said no due to the fact we did'nt think it would keep very well. My main turned up half way through my husband eating his but, i accepted that. We ordered a desert between us, and asked for ice cream instead of the custard. All turned up fine. When the bill arrived the waiter said "I have deducted the ice cream from you bill, due to the wait for your main." Well I was amazed, we had ice cream INSTEAD if custard, why should they charge for that? Their customer service is severely lacking with no real interest in the customer.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 2011yogafan

Thank you for your review. I am of course very sad to read what you wrote. I can only apologise for the poor service on Saturday evening. We care very much at the George about all of our guests and we are always very disheartened when we see that a guest has not had a good experience. As you can see from the other reviews we are extremely good and proud of what we do at The George and we have obviously let ourselves down on this occasion. Could I ask that you kindly contact me so we can discuss your evening further? I have direct messaged you with my details. Many thanks.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

An ancient and well loved inn. Not a cheap stay and, because of it's popularity and some restaurant rules, some people may find one or two things a little problematical. First some general points.

Check in 2.30 ... check out ll.30. Room ready on the dot at 2.30 and help with luggage.
Executive rooms from £210. Camp bed for child in room. Extra £30. Beds, soft and comfortable
.No kettle but smart delivery of morning tea and spring water in room. Good bathroom fittings.

Breakfast in garden room. Good buffet plus cooked breakfast. For evening dining you can book a table in the Oak Panelled room but not in the Garden room which offers a first come first served basis then listed. They will page you when there is a table.

Points which might help veggies and those with kids to organise their stay are...

1. Younger children are not accepted in the oak panelled room so you will be (hopefully) eating in the Garden Room restaurant. This is very pleasant but the Inn is popular and if you have travelled and checked in with a hungry youngster you may find yourself at the end of a long list of diners waiting for a table.
2. If you are a vegetarian you will find very little on the otherwise extensive menu. It is disappointing to have such a meagre choice.
3. Because the Inn is highly popular, residents have little chance of taking advantage of the downstairs rooms (lovely open fire etc.) as people arrive quite early for morning coffee and fill up the same rooms for lunches etc. This is to be expected in such great surroundings. I mention it merely to assist any plans you may have.
4. There is a bar area which serves meals but it is small and I feel may not be suitable for young children, especially as it is also busy.

We enjoyed our stay at The George. Our room overlooked the courtyard and the movements there in the early morning were not disturbing but rather the opposite. The lamps are on at night, shining on the cobbles. It was lovely and marked down only because of the problems, which would not, of course, be a problem to everyone.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank franfurlong

Thank you for taking the time to post again about your recent stay with us. Firstly thank you for your kind comments. I was very pleased to read that we helped you with your luggage and that you found the beds soft and comfortable. The Garden Room is a very popular restaurant and we always fit everyone in to dine. However we always give priority to our residents especially with small children and I am so sorry that this did not happen. I shall look into this with my managers. I am sorry that you felt there was not enough choice on the menu for a vegetarian. We are often praised for our vegetarian selection, but please know that we can always create a vegetarian menu just for you on the day. I have actually sent you a direct message on here, so I look forward to hearing from you and welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Extortionate prices which must not rely on past fame and reputation. The Hotel must realise that the competition are gaining repute due to their insouciance of the local market, the backbone of their core trade. Service is very good, food also but sly addition of extra prices for side dishes and other requests is not only dated but unacceptable!

Room Tip: Check what you are ordering and also scrutinise any bills carefully.....
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank romeo017
chrispitman, General Manager at The George Of Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Thank you very much for your review. I am afraid we don’t feel that we are extortionately overpriced. Yes we can be expensive but as you said the service and food are very good -thank you for your kind comments. We buy the best food, we pay for quality chefs and we spend a great deal of money and time on training all the staff. We also have a superb management team that have been here for many years. Our grounds are exceptionally well maintained along with the refurbishment of the hotel which is continuous to ensure that standards are kept high. We certainly don’t have a lack of concern of other establishments in Stamford or the surrounding area, which you may have noticed that many of them have sadly closed down in recent months. Side dishes and extras in many, many other restaurants are charged for. It does sadden me that you feel that way, because we are certainly not being sly about it and everything is clearly priced on our menus. Thank you once again, and I hope to see you at the George soon.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

The george never fails to give good food service and character accommodation .the staff were polite and very helpfull . This is the third time we've stayed at the George
and can't wait for our next visit. the breakfast was nice ....baked beans on menu would be a good choice. Or am i just being common. the sat evening meal was fantastic. the venison was to die for. all in all a great weekend
Phil. v

• Stayed: February 2013
chrispitman, General Manager at The George Of Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this lovely review. It really is so rewarding when we know that on each of your stays, everything is as it should be. Your kind comments about the staff, food and bedrooms are wonderful. We our very proud of our breakfast especially as everything is freshly cooked to order. Baked beans!... no you are not being "common" :-) we have actually put them on the menu! You will see the next time you stay with us! We look forward to your fourth visit with us. Thank you very much once again