The George Of Stamford
$255
$234
$111
The Bull & Swan(Stamford)
$181
$167
Candlesticks(Stamford)
TripAdvisor
Sibson Inn Hotel(Peterborough)
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,377 results
All reviewsgarden roomoak panelledafternoon teayork bargarden restaurantroast beeflobsterdessert trolleydover soledress codespecial occasionjacket and tiethe main dining roomchristmas decorationsfour posterold coaching innscones
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We booked a table here to celebrate my mother's 60th birthday as a family. The Maitre'd made us feel welcome from the moment we stepped through the door. The service was impeccable and the food could not be faulted.

There was locally baked bread and appetisers while we waited for our main courses. Everyone's choices were declared to be superb - The beef was carved at the table, my vegetarian trio was absolutely divine and the duck looked luscious.

There was then the even more difficult choice of what to choose from the pudding trolley - everything looked so good. My father was delighted to find they had made a pavlova (must have known he was coming) whilst I opted for the chocolate torte. As the birthday girl my mother's tiramisu came complete with a sparkler.

A perfect evening with attentive staff in a historic coaching inn. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
chrispitman, General Manager at The George Of Stamford, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Thank you very much for this wonderful review about your mother's 60th birthday. It is always important to us that special occasions run well and that everyone leaves with special memories of the day. Your comments about the food are wonderful and have been passed on to the Chefs. It is always very rewarding for us to see great comments about the food. The Roast Beef served from the silver trolley is our best seller and is so popular and I am so pleased that you thought it was superb, along with the other dishes. I was also happy to read that you enjoyed your deserts. We are very traditional at the George and we will always continue to serve our puddings off the trolley, and always with Pavlovas! We look forward to welcoming you back this year.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

The George is famous with good reason. The buzzing hospitality on offer needs to be experienced. We were in one of the lower-cost roadside rooms which was adequate. The bed must have given good service over the years as it has got a bit soft in places.

The George's public spaces are humming with sociability and both restaurants are very enjoyable. Breakfast is served in the conservatory and is a pleasure not just due to the ambience of the place, nor just because of the good food on offer but also because of the fun of people watching the George's guests!

Dinner in the oak room restaurant is also great fun if one likes a touch of old school service (which we do). It is almost archaic, but not less enjoyable for that. I would recommend trying anything that is served from the trolley such as roast beef as one get the drama of the service, or ordering whole fish as they will bone it for you at the table. The deserts are also served from a trolley which means one can move to the dessert course at ones own speed. This is a huge advantage over a normal restaurant in which one's desert is served at the pace that suits them not you. In our case we were able to take our time over the rest of our bottle of wine as the main course went down before moving on. I then had raspberries in elderflower jelly which I think was the most sublime desert I have ever eaten!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Pimlico_Traveller
Reviewed November 25, 2012

An iconic medieval hotel with 21st century comfort and service. Set in a lovely town this is the place to linger over coffee.... then lunch in their outstanding restaurant...... and tea and sandwiches in the bar ..... and off to bed in a four poster room with a bathroom from hollywood..........just time before bed for room service of a snack and tea...........next morning a special breakfast of whatever you fancy - we had smoked haddock with two poached egs and my wife smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. Just the place to recharge the batteries. Thank you for impecable service and friendlyness.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I had a very pleasant lunch with two relatives. Fish and chips were excellent, fish cooked perfectly. The service was good but allowed us to linger for two hours. We ate in the Garden Room, which is very pretty and clearly very popular. I would certainly be happy to eat at The George again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I have now been to the The George five times this year, on business and for pleasure, each time I come away feeling like I have been to a very special place, and played a part in the hotel history. The staff remember you, and welcome you back in a professional manner. The food is wonderful, the Christmas decorations are stylish and tastefully displayed. It is a great place in the summer as well as the winter. You have to experience it yourself.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family