“An excellent atmosphere”

and 1 more site!
The George Of Stamford
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Stamford
Reviewed October 26, 2012

My companion and I stopped here for morning coffee, using the hotel's free-for-customers car park. Stamford itself is a pleasant old coaching town, now bypassed by the "new" A1, and the town is still easy to reach. The hotel is an old coaching inn, and has kept some original features and adapted others. The service was prompt, courteous and efficient, and the atmosphere - a real fire, comfortable settees and newspapers, was comfortable and relaxed. Whilst the rooms themselves are outwith my usual budget, the coffee, papers (and spotless loos), with free parking, make t his an excellent pit stop.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Englishbloke100

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed one night and through everything was fine. Our double room was spacious with a great bathroom. Cleanliness throughout was good as was service at the hotel. And it had real feather pillows. REAL FEATHER! Hurray!

We dined in the Garden Room where, while we were advised it was informal, the waiting staff were likewise, as if they were a bit bored. The food was good, well executed by people who knew what they were doing. The wine mark-ups were fair. One bottle, two starters and mains were £80, which was a little on the high side for the quality.

We would have liked to dine in the a la carte dining room however the requirement of a jacket and tie felt a little too old-fashioned and stuffy. One the one hand, that was our choice, on the other the fostered rigid formality alienates we Gen X-ers. An ironed shirt, trews and polished shoes would surely suffice?

The sitting room was lovely with a lit fire, comfy sofas and enough furniture groupings to keep to ourselves.

Breakfast in the Garden Room had plentiful options with a much perkier service. Overall, a good place to stay.

1  Thank bennettsleg
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I had been told so much about this place and its quality that I thought the place must be special. Sadly this was not the case. To be honest the room was nice enough but the bar was full of hooray Henrys boasting about how much they could afford...unclassy. Ok that's not the fault of The George so I can't bag them too much for that. The food though was in their gift and I am sorry to say I was disappointed with the service and the food itself. The service was slow and sloppy, the food cold and mediocre. I realise my review is out of step with other so I am willing to put it down an off day. However I won't be going back.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank 4sheep
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Our second visiit to this beautiful, elegant hotel this year. We received good service and the food in the main restaurant was fabulous. Our room was comfortable and well appointed and the morning cuppa was much appreciated. We will certainly return!

2  Thank Annette B
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We came to celebrate our friends' wedding day on Saturday 6th October and we had an amazing time. The staff were helpful, attentive and accommodating, drinks were plentiful, the food simply amazing. The band playing at night were brilliant. The only downside was the price of the drinks, £4 a pint or £4.40 per glass of wine, but the surroundings made up for it. Oak panelled rooms, sumptious soft furnishings.

Lovely.

1  Thank BgRange_84
Reviewed October 9, 2012

The Garden Room restaurant at the George has been a part of my life since the 1980s. It is a place my parents used to take me when I was only a teenager and I have always eaten there at least a couple of times a year with various family and friends. It was one of those places that you never ever have anything but a fantastic meal. Somewhere that you could rely on. But on my last two visits the standards have definitely slipped. My much loved old friend somehow seems tired, in need of some TLC - and the food, although still good isn't at the quality is was. And, looking around the room, it was full of 50+ adults whereas it used to have more life, more buzz. It is as though the clientele has aged with the place which is never a good sign. I think I will jump ship now whilst I can still remember the George of old. Thanks for the memories.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Spectacle64
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We had lunch at The George and found it absolutely fascinating. You can eat in one of three dining rooms or the Yorkway Bar or Garden. We chose the Yorkway as we only wanted sandwiches, but looked in the other restaurant rooms. Each area is very different and the whole hotel shows its age and history very elegantly.
The food was pricey but excellent; there were plenty of very helpful staff, and the hotel has a very large car park - very useful as it is centrally located to then go and explore Stamford.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stamford
The William Cecil at Stamford
#2 of 2 in Barnsdale
Haycock Hotel
Haycock Hotel
#17 of 27 in Peterborough

Been to The George Of Stamford? Share your experiences!