“Only called in for a bar snack, but a place worth shouting about”

Mama Liz's Soul Food Shack
Ranked #36 of 114 Restaurants in Stamford
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“Only called in for a bar snack, but a place worth shouting about”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Sat at the bar and enjoyed some Blackened Chicken with salad in a wrap with spicy relish. Thoroughly yummy. My partners burger was good too. The service was attentive and friendly in what felt like a laid back kind of place. The Music was quite loud, but suited the environment. I really felt like I was on holiday - for an all to brief spell I was transported to somewhere more exotic (it was snowing outside!). My favourite real ale was on too - Bishops Farewell (a local ale) so what was not too like! Hope to go back soon for an evening meal as the food and party atmosphere showed great promise. (They also have a late night Hot Dog menu that runs from 11-1.p.m.).

Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Awful menu”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Have been to this restaurant quite a few times over the last 3 years and always been great ambiance and even better food and have recommended it to many of our friends.

My 2 daughters and I went Mama Liz's Foodshack in Stamford to celebrate a late mothers day (as they were unable to come up for mothers day - they live in London). We had it set in our minds what we would have from the menu, however, they have changed their menu and so had to rethink what to have. My youngest daughter (22yrs) decided to have the catfish cased in polenta and with a dill and prawn sauce. My other daughter (25yrs) and myself decided on the jambalaya with chorizo.

When the dishes were served the catfish was absolutely swimming (drowning) in the sauce which was extremely overpowering of the fish. There were other accompaniments to the meal. My daughter tasted it and it tasted disgusting. I too tasted it as I would perhaps have swapped dishes with her, but even I would not have been able to eat it as it was just too awful, the polenta had also started to dissolve in the sauce. It was such a random concoction. We brought it to the waitresses attention but she merely shrugged her shoulders and suggested bringing a plate to scoop the fish onto and then offered a side salad. She said she could not return the dish to the kitchen as there was nothing wrong with the dish!!!

I have never been to a restaurant where if unhappy with the meal they have not offered another option.

With regards to mine and my older daughters meal. On attempting to eat our Jambalaya my daughter and I can only assume that the chef tripped whilst adding the salt as this too proved to be inedible and we could not eat that either and left over half of it.

All in all a very disappointing evening. I have emailed the restaurant but have not received a response. We shall not be returning to the restaurant again I'm afraid and definitely will not be recommending to anyone I like.

UK
“Delicious Food + Excellent Service”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I normally visit the bar area at Mama Liz's for drinks with friends, but decided to give the restaurant a go for the first time for a family meal one weekend. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised and will be definitely going back - I didn't even know I was a fan of cajun food!

To start, we ordered the shredded mojo chicken and pulled pork. Both were tender and juicy and perfectly sized - big enough for us all to try (family of 3 adults) but not so big that we were overwhelmed by the time the main arrived. The corn bread with the pull pork was moist, sweet and light, and a great touch.

For main course, I had the jerk chicken. The chicken was moist and the sauce was a great mix of flavours that all came together very well. Our party also had the Island Chicken Curry (I tried it, was very good, fruity), and the special, which was a towering beef burger! With some great and interesting accompaniement. All the dishes were beautifully and tastefully presented - not at all what I was expecting from a "Soul Shack", and far from the piles of stodge you would expect.

What really made the afternoon for us was the quality of the service. We were made to feel very welcome. I think perhaps we were served by Mama Liz herself (?! if she exists), or at least a lady in management. She really took care with our order, giving us details on the dishes, served food at the right intervals, swept away plates when it was clear we were finished, checking everything was ok at each interval, served fantastic coffee, and unprompted even gave my mum a glass of prosecco on the house.

I would thoroughly recommend this place on a Sunday afternoon. The upstairs is a nice area, feels like you are eating in a eccentric but cosy and spacious loft. Food is also very reasonably priced - average £10 for a main course.

• Visited March 2013
“Mama Liz saved the day!”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

After arriving for our booking Fratellis in Stamford with a party of 14 only to find they had been closed down that afternoon, Mama Liz saved the evening and took an instant booking from us. The food was excellent and it was great that they were able to fit us in at such short notice on a Friday night. All food well presented and very tasty. Welcoming staff with an attention to detail added to the enjoyment of the meal so thanks for saving our evening. We will definitely be back!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Roger P
Marlow
“Great experience”
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Saw the reviews & wanted to try something different. As soon as we stepped through the door we were made to feel welcome. Good real ale & cocktail selection & then upstairs to eat. Good value great taste-no complaints at all. Would recommend this restaurant to all & sundry. Thanks all!