“Beautiful food at a bargain price”
Review of Mother India

Mother India
Cuisines: Asian, Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Mother India menu has an emphasis on refined yet creative Indian cuisine, the menu incorporates both traditional classic favourites and original new dishes that apply eastern flavours with a western twist. The modern interior lends itself to the rich vibrancy of India with a modern urban touch. Mother India also caters for special occasions, birthdays, anniversaries and corporate events.
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We usually visit Mother India on a Sunday as their fixed priced menu offers a wide choice and thus caters for everyone we've taken with us since we discovered it. The Wednesday Balti night special is good too and we have decided to try their Thursday special night soon. The only trouble is that now we're used to the 'bargain' enenings we are unlikely to visit on a 'full price' night.
The food is always tasty, the staff friendly. What's not to like?

Reviewed June 8, 2012

We were seated by the door (which kept jamming) so we were constantly in a cold
breeze and my partner had to keep getting up to close it (the waiters were just standing around and didn't bother to help.) This was the least of Mother India's problems.

My tikka massalla was boring and lacking in flavour. My partner's vindaloo was incredibly bland. The poppadoms were stale and greasy, and the naan breads (one chilli cheese, one peshwari) were both burnt so thoroughly there was about a centimetre and a half thick crust of carbon covering the underside of it. We politely sent the naans back and tucked in to the rest of our sub par dinner. The head waiter apologised and said he would make it up to us with a free drink each. There was no choice, he assumed that my partner would want whiskey, and as I am a girl I would want baileys. This would have been fine except it was a small shot glass with a massive ice cube filling it up and then about a tablespoon of baileys poured over my shot of ice.

He would not take the inedible naans off the bill.

I spent over £35 and came home starving and annoyed.

I'd heard good things about Mother India, but they are from people who hadn't been there for a few years.

Go to any of the other curry houses.

3  Thank Fun_in_the_brum
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Been here once, had a good curry and you can bring your own drinks. Nothing special, but a small intimate restaurant with a nice service. I wouldn't go again, just on the basis it's too far out and local restaurants do a better job locally. Personally I'd go to Kebabish down the road and pay a bit more.

1  Thank sexualchocolate1978
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Excellent food with a variety of many Dishes.Staff are friendly and helpful,especially to any"novices" amongst you!

Reviewed May 2, 2012

I had been wanting to try Mother India for ages but it is always rammed on a Saturday night so I usually end up going elsewhere.

When I did decide to wait I must say I was disappointed, the curry was bland and very watery. I ordered a Madras and I can honestly say I have had hotter mild balti's at other restaurants.

The restaurant seems packed with regulars who seem very impressed with the food. I was speaking to the couple on the table next to me and they were saying how fantastic their curry was and they had been coming to Mother Indian for years. I was tempted to tell them to try the other Indian restaurants on the road as in my personal opinion Mother India is the weakest I have been to in Boldmere but I held my tongue as in the end I supposed it is personal preference.

To sum up my visit, poor watery curry that was bland to the taste with a poor texture. Packed cramped conditions where you 100% could not have a private chat without the table next to you over-hearing. I won't be rushing back here as there is far better Indian food under 30 seconds walk away!

1  Thank SwampyAJC