“Pretty basic”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I visited the boathouse with 4 friends on Wednesday evening. We struggled to get a table and therefore had a booking at 6.30pm. The first issue was the surliness of the waitress. 3 of the party were driving so were not drinking the inclusive 1/2 carafe of wine. I asked if I could have one of the mains that had a supplement inclusive as I wasn't having the wine- no negotiation, turned down flat. 2 of the party had the yuk sung starter with bean sprouts, neither could find any meat in the yuk sung, only bean sprouts. I had the tagine chefs special which came in a very small bowl with an egg cup sized portion of cous cous, barely a starter sized portion, the other mains were mediocre at best. The accompanying vegetables were dire, I have never seen cabbage cooked so badly and the other vegetables - some sweet potato/ onion concoction was virtually inedible. The waitresses had no idea what anything was any most couldn't even pronounce some of the dishes. The deserts were acceptable but certainly not outstanding. I agree with a previous reviewer about the availability of only filter coffee, surprising in any restaurant. To round the evening off, we were finishing our drinks and the waitress bought the bill ( we hadn't requested it) and informed us we needed to pay as they wanted the table! Needless to say they didn't receive a tip and we certainly won't be returning. One thing that did surprise me was how busy the restaurant was, there appeared to be a cohort of regulars who the chefs were visiting at their tables. I might suggest if the chefs spent more time in the kitchen instead of chatting with their friends/ regulars they may be able to produce a higher standard of food.

4  Thank Sarah T
There are newer reviews for Boathouse Restaurant at Bracebridge

Reviewed July 6, 2014

We went for saturday lunch with family as a party of 25 expecting good food in lovely surroundings, very disappointed. I had the sea bass which i paid a premium but as mentioned before was a very small fillet only suitable as a starter although it was a nice meal, my husband had the pork loin which he said was very nice. My second gripe which has also been previously mentioned is the shear number of tables and chairs they have managed to squeezed into the restaurant making it very awkward to pas by, i had to ask another customer on two occasions to move her chair to leave the restaurant (and i am only an average sized being) which i would have found most annoying if i had been sat there! Due to the large number of people as it was full to the rafters sitting so close to each other making it very noisy and difficult to hear people from our own table. This was my fourth visit and i must say it is going down hill and may be they should think about their customers and stop being so greedy for profits!

2  Thank Tpot2012
Reviewed July 5, 2014

From start to finish very disappointing. A terrible buzzing sound over the music. Not enough menus to go round and a long wait to get more after asking three times. Long wait for food to arrive which was bland and mediocre and not worth the price on the menu.

2  Thank Sidslice
Reviewed July 1, 2014

The sun was shining the evening we visited and we sat outside overlooking the lake for drinks.

The food was beautiful! We all had the Soup, Pate and Yuk Sung to start and Steak and chicken for main. The pudding were gorgeous!! Lovely atmosphere and staff and look forward to returning soon.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Visited last week and cannot believe how different it is. Service atrocious, meals disgusting at ripoff prices. Tables crammed together so no chance of a private conversation. This is certainly not the same restaurant it used to be. Don't be mislead by "fillets" of sea bass - it's one minute fillet only sufficient as a starter, certainly not a main course. Avoid medallions of pork as anyone with any common sense would know what they serve as medallions is just a meagre cut up breaded escolope. This place has certainly been let go. Folks are just being exploited by the setting but just remember unless you are seated at one of the two tables you cannot even see the view. I never mind how expensive a meal is but expect value for money, the Boathouse certainly doesn't offer this. Never again

2  Thank Yvonne G