“Outstanding!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cambaz Bar and Chargrill - CLOSED

Cambaz Bar and Chargrill
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Have to say this was possibly one of the best meals I have had for a seriously long time.

The fact that this was a Christmas function makes it even more astounding!

I had the hummus to start, then essentially chilli lamb for main. Portions are huge too! They did make a mistake, but rectified it swiftly and I have to say it was a no quibble issue - that alone mad me think these guys have got it sussed!

Wine list is excellent.

Give it a bash :)

Visited December 2013

Savona, Italy
“Nice place, good grill”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

Went there with friends, the restaurant is located at the centre of Sutton with large space and tables outside when weather permits.
Wide choice from the grill, I had the salmon on a bed of creamy spinach, which was superb.
Service is friendly (ask for Roberto, he'll help you make the best choice), good pace
Reasonable price for teh location and quality

Birmingham
“Badly managed!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

We have visited Cambaz four times since it opened and have been pleased with our dining experience until our last visit. We dined there on New Year's Day evening and I feel it only fair that I share my experience with people. On entering the restaurant we were seated near a large family with young children. By the time we had chosen our drinks it was obvious that the children were bored as the children were screaming and jumping on the furniture, so when the waitress came over we asked if we could be reseated. She went away to ask the manager and returned to say that the only place we could be seated was literally a metre or so further away from the family than we currently were. As the restaurant was quiet we asked if we could be moved around the corner given two thirds of the restaurant was empty. We were told that the rest of the restaurant was not being used due to it being so quiet and the manger wanted to keep customers in the one area.

We moved to the best available table and continued to have our dining experience ruined by the disruptive children. At no point did the manager try to resolve the situation by asking the parents to quieten their children down. The final straw came when a cushion hit my husband on the head thrown by one of the unruly children. We asked to speak with manager who came over and we asked him why he failed to either move us to another table or at least ask the family to quieten down - it was evident that he was not interested in our compliant and made no attempt to pacify us instead he said it was not his place to tell customers to consider other diners. The manager was very dismissive and we found his 'like it or lump it' attitude rude and frustrating. As a result of the way in which we were treated we will not be going to the restaurant again and would recommend anyone, who doesn't wasn't to risk dining in a Wakey Warehouse environment, to avoid it too.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Vicky77Birmingham
Sutton Coldfield
“Tying hard to get things right.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

This place is beset by mixed reviews on here and amongst family and friends so thought would take the plunge and try for ourselves.
Booked a late table 21:30 on sat eve in jan. we arrived 5 mins late and after initially being shown to our table in a portion of the restaurant we deemed to be too cold we were cheerfully shown to another table on another section. The restaurant looked as though it had been busy perhaps judging by the vacated tables around us that still needed clearing - not an attractive sight. When seated were were not a) asked what drinks we wanted only that the server would be over to take our order shortly b) we weren't given a menu to peruse whilst waiting c) didn't ask if I wanted my coat hanging up. All basic front of house stuff.
We ordered the mixed mezze sharing starter then the mixed meat kebabs and mixed fish kebabs. The mezze was fabulous 5 large portions if houmous , olives tzatziki etc with grilled halloumi and delicious generous amounts of warm ciabatta style bread. My only criticism of the mezze is there was too much ! Easily enough for four people. I could easily see two people sharing these and a bottle of wine and being quite satisfied for a light lunch or supper.
Literally 5 minutes after we
finished the mezze our mains were brought. Not good. Too
soon. Both mixed kebab dishes were plentiful two full skewers with delicious spicy potatoes and salad however the mixed fish was barely warm which was really disappointing. When pointed out at the hospitality check the manager came over an apologised and offered free dessert and to reheat. By which time i had lost what was left of my my appetite so we We declined on
both fronts.
After completing the meal we were invited to finish our drinks in the pleasant cosy lounge area. The manager insisted we had a complimentary round of drinks to compensate for the meal whilst we waited for our taxi. He seemed very keen that we should take way a positive impression of the restaurant despite the shortfalls. However on this occasion I got the impression that as we were late diners our mains had been prepared simultaneously with the first course as staff wanted to go home ! Whilst in the lounge I noticed several men hanging around the bar area that certainly didn't look like diners. Family members or kitchen staff I don't know but they made me feel uneasy and the place look unprofessional.
The decor of the restaurant and ladies room is fresh and contemporary. The outside dining area will be a real hit in the summer. This place has real potential but they need to sort out some fundamental basics to be a success. We will return for a second chance.

2 Thank sonnetts67
West Midlands, England
“Enjoyable meal but somewhat overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

Visited here with a couple of friends. Very impressed by how the restaurant has been refurbished from when it was a pub, looked very appealing and attractive. Also very impressed by the service we experienced. Attentive and good humoured, this was excellent and exactly how service should be done.

What let the meal down were the prices. I felt that almost £20 for a sharing meze was quite steep, when you consider that a lot of the food that was brought to us were dips, breads and salads. The food was well presented and tasted good but all a bit basic to be charging the prices that they are. If the prices were lowered slightly then I would consider returning but unfortunately with the competition in Sutton at the moment (e.g. Don Diego) I don't think I will return for a while.

• 2 of 5 bubbles