“Business Lunch”
Review of Don Diego Bar de Tapas - CLOSED

Don Diego Bar de Tapas
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Michelin listed Spanish Restaurant & Tapas Bar, Awared The Best Mediterrenian Restaurant in England & Wales in 2014.
Reviewed January 15, 2013

After growing sick of Pizza Express to entertain clients I thought I'd give Don Diego a try. Wow, I wasn't disappointed! Firstly 2 Tapas for £5 is great value.

We arrived a little earlier than expected and was greeted by a friendly gentleman at the door. Early, no problem, straight to table and menus provided with a little guide through what was available.

Drinks ordered and served promptly, great.

Food ordered, waited about 15 mins before it was served with a smile. It was clearly freshly cooked which is rare for Tapas restaurants, usually boil in the bag like Weatherspoons (horrible!). The garlic chicken thighs were fantastic, soft succulent chicken with the garlic soothing you tongue and you chew away. Patatas Mixas was superb. The red pepper sauce danced on the palate like a Spanish dancer.

Desert was fun! I didn’t have Spanish but it was worth it. I went for the chocolate brownie with ice cream to die for. Again great quality for the price and a wonderful way to bring the meal to a close.

To sum up it’s a great little restaurant with staff that make you feel welcome. It really is like a little holiday to Spain visiting Don Diego!

I can’t wait to go back! Go, you'll love it!

Reviewed January 10, 2013

My Neice recommended this restaurant so we went one lunchtime. Having lived in Spain for a few years, I was curious to see if the dishes were as good as the Spanish restaurants there. One of my all time favourites was Prawns pil pil. So as well as the two for £5 tapas, we also ordered a few other other dishes. Although the dishes were very good, I was disappointed with the prawns pil pil. I was used to the dish coming to the table sizzling. This was not the case here unfortunately and there were only 6 prawns, which considering the dish cost £5.95, I thought was a little overpriced. My daughter also had an extra dish of meatballs and she was not impressed with those, although the lambs kidneys were excellent. Overall, an enjoyable visit, the staff were very attentive, but as it worked out at £25 per head and most of the drinks were coffees, I did not consider it to be vaule for money. I doubt if we shall return.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Firstly and very importantly - IGNORE map on tripadvisor - it takes you to the wrong Manor Road in Sutton as we found out to our peril. As it was New Year's Eve we went by taxi and it cost us twice as much on the way there as it did on the way home. Don Diego is next door to ASK right in Sutton centre and not on Manor Road in Streetly off Thornhill Road. The post code on the address takes you to the right place.

The restaurant is laid out either side of a central bar opposite the entrance. To the right there is a small conservatory with a few tables. It's a nice relaxed atmosphere. The menu is extensive making it hard to choose. Our food arrived pretty much altogether. The bread was very crusty and fresh. Everything had great taste and flavour. We had 7 tapas and bread for 2 of us which was ample and we were too full for pudding.

For two of us with bread, bottle of water, g&t and 3 glasses of wine with 7 tapas we paid £60 which we felt was good value for money. We couldn't find fault and only wish there were more places like this.

1  Thank HarleyDavidson1966
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We've been to Don Diego quite a few times and up to now had no complaints. Having booked some time in advance for our New Year's Eve party of 10, we looked forward to an enjoyable evening to see in 2013. Our table was squeezed into an awkward corner, the dishes arrived in very quick succession (unlike our other visits) and we had difficulty getting to some of them before they went cold. The staff appeared very keen to get everyone out as soon as possible. Although we had ordered the "Fiesta" menu in advance, some dishes weren't available but no apology was given. At 11pm the staff were having their own "it's already 2013 in Spain" celebrations in the kitchen and were then eager to clear our table so we were out of the door by 11:30pm. A pity, as the food is almost always excellent and the restaurant is usually much more customer-friendly. We enjoyed ourselves anyway but will leave it a while before returning.

1  Thank LuluJazz
Ladylisk, Owner at Don Diego Bar de Tapas, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear LuluJazz,

I am so sorry to hear that your NEw Years experience with us was anything less than perfect. I can assure you that I take all feedback very seriously and I would really love to speak with you to find out more about this meal you had with us and I would like to find a way to suitable apologise and encourage you to try us again so that you can see that we really do care.

I have sent you a private message through Tripadvisor, perhaps when you have time you might read it and respond to me.

Once again, I am sincerely sorry for your poor New Years Party with us - I do hope that I can resolve this for you.

Very warm regards - and Happy New Year!

Emma

Reviewed December 31, 2012

The restaurant is small but welcoming. The staff were very friendly. The Manager was excellent. We ordered a few dishes each. The food was nice but came out at quite lengthy intervals so while some of us had eaten most of ours, some were still waiting. I understand that Tapas is a leisurely way of eating but the amount of time we had to wait for some dishes was extremely long. 4 dishes didnt arrive at all. We had to ask for water a few times. However,this was all rectified by the manager and we were not charged for those dishes and we were not charged for a bottle of wine. Our table was in a corner and those sitting against the wall felt squashed in.
Overall, this is a very nice restaurant with good food, quite good value for money and nice staff.

1  Thank cameron4018