“An experience to be repeated!”
Review of La Scala - CLOSED

La Scala
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Cambridge
“An experience to be repeated!”
Reviewed March 1, 2012

We visited this restaurant on Saturday night with a group of family and friends for a birthday celebration. The restaurant was extremely busy with a mix of couples, families and groups. Whilst waiting for our table we were promptly served drinks and given menus to look through in the bar area where this was plenty of comfortable seating. The wait for the table was probably about an hour, even though we had booked, but we barely noticed this as the atmosphere in the restaurant was good and the drinks in the bar added to the overall enjoyment of the evening. Our food orders were taken whilst we waited so once we were seated our meals were served quite promptly.

The staff were very friendly and the food was generally of good quality. The portion sizes were quite generous although possibly the chef was a little too generous with his use of salt and pepper. The price is probably what you would expect to pay for this kind of restaurant ie. mid to high range and the fine wines are possibly a little overpriced although our bottles of Amarone were very good.

Overall the evening was very enjoyable - we arrived at 8:30 and left around 11:30 so the money spent was justified by not being rushed in and out as many restaurants often do on a busy Saturday night. Definitely an experience to be repeated for special occasions.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank FraCalabrese

sutton coldfield . UK
“Just wonderful food and service”
Reviewed February 15, 2012

My wife and I went here on Valentines night . The restaurant was very,very busy. However , this did not ,in any way ,detract from the quality of the service. Everything happened at a good speed --not to slow ,not to fast. The waiters were attentive ,but not obtrusive. Now the food ! My wife had Filet of Turbot ,with a Scallop ,Prawn and White Wine sauce and I had Ravioli filled with Lobster,Monkfish and Cherry Tomatoes.Both meals were beautifully presented and cooked .The portions were more than adequate.The same can also be said about the starters and the desserts.

We live in Le Marche ,Italy for about 6 months each year and the towns and villages there ,mostly have exellent restaurants . We have often said " why can't we have restaurants like this in England " . Well now we have found one .

I have recently reviewed a restaurant called La Taverna ,in Perugia ,Umbria . That is a wonderful restaurant . The food and service at La Scala is every bit as good . As my wife said " the best Italian food I've had outside Italy." We could not pay a bigger compliment.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank john g
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“great place”
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Both the service and food is the best in Sutton Coldfield. It is not teh cheapest place but you get what you pay for!

1 Thank parry005
“Wow!”
Reviewed February 10, 2012

I'm not much for trying new things, I've never had italian before. A friend suggested to me that I should try and that she would take me to the best italian she knew, so we head off to La Scala. The whole place was amazing, the restaurant inside was beautiful. The staff were lovely and treated us very respectfully. I tried the cold fillet salad for starter. It was gorgeous meat was very tender, I surprised myself, I'd never eaten raw meat before, definately will be enjoying that dish again. As I had started on a meat I went for meat as my main and had duck breast. The sauce was lovely I asked for some more. The duck was cooked perfectly medium. We had veg as side, which were again perfectly cooked and full of different flavours. For dessert I had panna cotta which is a cream pudding I know from sainsbury's. I think I'll never buy it from sainsbury's again. Mmmmm what an experience I had. I think I certainly like italian food if its the way at la scala. We booked a table again for another visit, next time I'm going to try the fish.

3 Thank michellesmart
Turin, Italy
“The real thing - Italian cuisine at its best”
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Finally somewhere that serves genuine Italian food, cooked with innovative flair and served in a super environment by quality staff. The menu was almost too much choice as most people will settle for two courses plus dessert rather than antipasti, primo & secondo, but for those of us who enjoy pushing the boat out, there is a splendid choice. Varied wine list with plenty of reasonably priced products and even some high end bottles for the special occasion. This is not the run of the mill italian food but a far more varied and thought out menu. Well worth the cost, which is in line with the quality.

• Visited October 2011