“Fine for my needs”

Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed April 27, 2009

Very nice Hotel by the lake. Lovely breakfast and fast wifi. Suited me down to the ground.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank tridenttravelleror
Write a ReviewReviews (1,553)

Reviewed April 14, 2009

We stayed at the Ramada Sutton Coldfield on 10/11 April. We chose this hotel as it was the one nearest to the wedding that we were going to that weekend and their website made it look lovely.

Before we went we read the reviews on TripAdvisor and were a little concerned as there weren't that many recent good reviews.

Upon arrival the receptionist wasn't the most welcoming of people however he was informative and checked us in quickly and without any problems.

Our room was 5103 which was an executive suite. It was a short distance from reception, bar and dining room, however there were some steps to go down with our suitcase - good job my finance could carry it!

The room was quite large, a lovely large mirror when you walked in (although not enough light to use it to put your make-up on). The bathroom was a good size but it only had a shower and no bath - which didn't bother us as we're not really bath people. I did notice a little bit of mould on the shower door which could have done with a wipe down. The bed was nice and comfy and there were spare pillows above the wardrobe if needed. The sheet was a tad on the small side though and came untucked and all ruffled after being slept on.

The view out of our room was lovely - it looked across the pretty lake to the Seb Coe gym/swimming pool. It was lovely and quiet and couldn't hear anything from the rooms either side. The ducks and geese were lovely, although quacking at 7am in the morning they weren't quite so attractive!!

The food in the hotel was good. We had an evening meal there on the Friday night - I had pan-fried fillet of beef with not an ounce of fat on it - scrummy. The breakfast on the Saturday morning was just as good and everything was piping hot. On Sunday morning however the breakfast wasn't so great - I think it was because the hotel was a lot busier (there had been a wedding there the previous night). The food was ok, just not as good as the morning before.

All in all we had a great stay and would definitely stay there again - I'd make a point of requesting the same room (5103).

Rachel

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DerbyRach
Reviewed April 6, 2009

Had stayed in Ramada accommodation before and generally found it good value but the Ramada at Sutton Coldfield was really disappointing. The setting is the only nice part about the place. It was a trek to our room as it appears so many wings have been added and the decor is truly old fashioned. Our room as tiny, with squeeky floor boards and the bathroom was awful with exposed pipes and a dirty shower curtain - the room over looked the kitchen back door (I think) and there was constant shouting and hosing down equipment. The room was like a sauna so we had the window open to cool down the room but the noise was just awful. Breakfast was good. Luckily our stay was just a bed for the night but if I had booked for anything more I would have been even more disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2009

'Ramada' evokes thoughts of a clean, efficient, professional hotel. This message has obviously not reached Sutton Coldfield. Check-in time is published as 2pm, but at 1.50pm the room wasn't ready and it clearly annoyed the receptionist that I had the gall to ask. When I eventually got into the room, I wondered if, during the walk to find it, I'd gone through a time-warp. The decor can best be described as 'dark peach', the shower was all exposed pipes above the bath and the lighting was dim and dismal. The safety control on the shower was missing. Skirting boards were chipped and although the TV was a decent-sized flat screen it was originally positioned so that to view the screen you would have to be standing in the bathroom door space.
The restaurant meal was adequate, well-cooked and well-presented but overpriced, as were the drinks in the bar. A pint of bitter and a large G&T was over £11! The restaurant staff were far more friendly and professional than the reception staff.
Buffet breakfast was OK-ish, with cheap sausages and slightly greasy bacon.
Food presented during both days of the conference I attended was the best feature.
Check-out was a slooooow process.
A very disappointing stay

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank specsaver
Reviewed February 19, 2009

This was meant to be a romantic valentine weekend, but the staff and cleaners ruined my whole stay. The room was awful, had pigeons sitting on the ledge not a concern of the staff but how are they getting into one of these vacant rooms?? my phone did not work i walked to reception told the front desk staff, after an hour used my mobile to call after another 20mins a member of staff finally arrived.
i requesterd a late check out, at 9am i had housekeeping banging on the door, clearly had a do not disturb sign hanging, again at 11 am!! at 12.10pm reception calling to say check out was at 12, i was mad but then again at 1.30 had cleaners again. What a useless facility having notified reception and with a note on the door. and still being disturbed. Extremly disappointed staff need either to be trained further or communicate to make ones stay more comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2009

Stayed for two nights in Jan as work had sent us for a course there. Included was 3 meals a day. Firstly, the good:
1: Rooms were clean
2: shower was powerful and the vanity goodies were plentiful.
3: confernece facilities were adequate
4: Beautician on site was lovely and deserves a medal.

The Bad:
1: To get to my room, 5007, I needed to leave a trail of breadcrumbs, it took me 20 minutes to find the room on the first night and the reception are misleading when they say, "take the lift to the first floor and turn left". they should say, take the lift then walk to the end of the corridor, look for the little door that leads to the basement and find the very last door and that's your room.
2: Food was mass produced and I don't think was very fresh. By the thrid day, most of our party were eating just salad, rather than the hot food, for fear of the runs!!
3: my phone charger went missing and the reception staff were not very helpful in finding it. when I said that I would not be leaving until either my charger was found or I was compensated, one of the receptionists thrust a charger into my hand and said "here, take mine if it means that much". Charming!! It's not the point of the value of the charger, it's the fact that someone had been in the room and taken the thing!!

I wouldn't stay herre for pleasure and only stayed for the course.

the hotel needs to be updated as the sign's letters in the front of the driveway are falling off and it seems a shame as this could potentially be great,

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 2, 2009

This hotel has the doubtful honour of having the worst room I have ever stayed in. EVER. It was dark, dingy and dirty. The dust on the window sills was awful. The room may have been decorated about 1960 but I think I am being kind here. The carpet was migraine inducing and the walls a beautiful shade of 'Old Tabacco'. The bathroom defied description but was disgusting. I did not unpack as I did not want to put my stuff in the drawers. The toiletries were one bottle of shampoo. For a two night stay.

The bedding was clean but the bed had to be old. The kind where the springs go boing.............

This room ruined my stay

I will not be staying again.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Brook Marston Farm Hotel
Brook Marston Farm Hotel
#8 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Travelodge Birmingham Sutton Coldfield
Travelodge Birmingham Sutton Col...
#5 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Royal Hotel
Royal Hotel
#10 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
The Belfry
The Belfry
#1 of 1 in Wishaw

Been to Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield? Share your experiences!