“Don't know what all the complaints are about”

Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Stayed here one night in a family studio room whilst visiting relatives in Sutton Coldfield. Room was quiet and comfy, bar was lively but a bit expensive, leisure centre was ok for a quick dip in the morning, breakfast was nice- big choice. The May Fair it ain't (and I have stayed there, too) but- and I am extremely fussy- I really can't see what all the poor reviews are about...

• Stayed: September 2013
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and effort in providing an insight into your recent one night stay at Ramada Sutton Coldfield. We are most appreciative of your constructive and positive report.

I am delighted to learn you had a pleasant experience with us overall and found your room to your liking.

Can I take this opportunity to suggest that when you choose to stay at the hotel again, take a moment to follow our hotel Facebook and Twitter accounts to hear of offers, team news and community events. Do remember you can also upgrade to an executive room subject to availability to guarantee lake or garden views.

Kind regards

Fiona Lockyer

Write a ReviewReviews (1,554)

Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

Dreadful dirty place. Mum and I booked through Groupon for weekend of 13th - 15th September and had a room opposite the lift - room 2. The hotel room was gross and believe me, I've stayed in a whole host of hotels in the UK and abroad for work and leisure. Hotel room wad drab and unclean; bar area stank of damp and there was a rowdy wedding going on Saturday night which was very intimidating when we got back to the hotel. Service was shocking and we wete asked in the room to pay cash there and then for room service. What hotel does that?! My bed kept sliding round the room and the door to the eexterior was draughty due to all the holes in it. All I can say is you have been warned!

1  Thank Emmslie
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I would like to thank all the staff at the Ramada Sutton Coldfield for their excellent friendliness and service on the date I had my wedding reception there 6/09/2013 and assisting in making our day so special.

The Dorchester suite and adjoining suite you allowed us to use for reception drinks were perfect considering the poor weather conditions. And even when we were outside trying get a few photos with our family, Charlotte and more helpers came out with umbrella's and drinks for us.The main meal was lovely and the efficiency of your service considering there were so many guests was noted by many of our wedding party.The quality was of such a high standard which was of great importance to us. The buffet also was amazing - I commend you on such a great selection and the layout was perfect.

Special thank you's to Sebastian, Charlotte and Artem, who made our dream come true on the 6/09/2013 and also to Louise Smith who planned our wedding to perfection.

We would highly recommend this hotel to all friends and family for functions as everyone went beyond and above their roles to give us all a day to treasure and remember.

Thanks again

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest (we know who you are but forgive us for not addressing you personally but Trip does not permit this)

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your views about your positive recent event at the Ramada Sutton Coldfield.

I was delighted to hear that you had such an excellent experience, in particular we are overjoyed you felt your dream had come true and had experienced a day to treasure and remember, what more could we all wish for. I will be sure to convey your kind message to all those involved in making this wedding celebration so special and perfect for you and your husband.

Maybe you would like to return to celebrate your anniversary with us in the future and sample the food in the restaurant again. Take a look at and 'like' our Facebook page at Ramada Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield to keep abreast of news and offers we have throughout the year.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

My friend and i booked a deal through Groupon for a one night stay at the hotel which included afternoon tea and breakfast. After reading some of the previous reviews of the hotel we were quite frankly expecting the hotel from hell and felt quite nervous about what we would find on our arrival.
However, we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel is set in lovely grounds, and has ample parking. The lady that checked us in on reception was very friendly and helpful and she gave us our afternoon tea voucher, saying we could redeem it in the bar area.
Again, after reading previous reviews about the afternoon tea we were expecting a small plate of unsatisfactry food. After sampling the afternoon tea for myself, i can honestly say i don't know what it is that people are complaining about. We got 8 finger sandwiches, 6 cakes and a big pot of tea between 2 of us - exactly as it is described in the menu and it was lovely. There was more than enough for 2 of us!
We went into Birmingham for the afternoon and on our return we were given our room keys and told where to find our room. The room itself was very basic and is definately in need of a refurb, the lino in the bathroom was dirty and peeling away from the walls and the shower looks like it needs ripping out and replacing with a newer model. However, everything was clean and as good as it could be for the age of it.
Now, the beds - if i were to stay in this hotel again i would take an air bed and a sleeping bag because i've had better nights sleeping whilst camping than in these beds! They are truly horrendous! The matress doesn't fit the base, it's so old that the 'spring' got up and left a long time ago and the pillows were probably due to be replaced at least 5 years ago! They are all feather pillows, which aren't to my taste, but even if they were - there was absolutely no stuffing in them and even with 2 pillows, i still woke up with a stiff neck.
I have seen lots of replies where the management of the hotel have said that it's a mid-market, 3* hotel and i took that into account before visiting the hotel and before writing this review - i just don't think that there's any excuse for such poor beds and bedding/pillows, it's a good job they don't do the 'good nights sleep or your money back' promise that the Premier Inn do, they'd never actually make any money.
I can't fault the breakfast or the staff at breakfast, there was loads to choose from and everything was kept topped up and hot.

Overall, it's not a bad hotel. The staff are lovely, the customer service was great, the breakfast and afternoon tea exceeded our expectations and the grounds of the hotel are very idylic - it's just the bedrooms, they really do need some basic work doing on them.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear Guest (we know who you are so forgive us for not addressing you by name, Tripadvisor does not allow this)

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your constructive and positive views around your recent one night stay which included afternoon tea and breakfast, at the Ramada Sutton Coldfield and please be assured that our aim is, to not only meet, but exceed expectation. I am sorry if on this occasion you feel we fell short. Our team is genuinely friendly and accommodating and strives to ensure each guest experience is the best that it can be.

Following your recent report I asked the housekeeping team to look into the comments you made. We have taken your comments on board and have since ordered and have taken delivery of new hypo allergenic feather pillows and we have placed a new quilted mattress topper on the bed.

We do look forward to being of service to you again in the future and do remember, subject to availability you can request an upgrade to an executive room. Please take a look at and 'like' our Facebook page at Ramada Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield to keep abreast of news and offers we have throughout the year

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Room was in the Penns mews, like a flat in a block up the car park from the main hotel which was not so bad, but tired and stuffy. Breakfast very good and nice, staff good. But bar really honked, a bit like a sweaty stinky fusty smell I had to sit outside preferring fresh fag smoke. Perfunctory courtesy rather than welcoming. Bar food is far too expensive and fairly average.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to note your observations following your recent visit to Ramada Sutton Coldfield and I am sorry that on this occasion we did not fully meet your expectation.

I am sorry to learn that you were disappointed with the mews rooms allocated to you. Many of our guests request these rooms as they are much quieter for families and they are generally larger, but I appreciate they are not to everyone's taste. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed breakfast and that you found the staff helpful, although I am disappointed to learn of your opinion that you received perfunctory courtesy rather than welcoming.

As you note, the joy of running a large hotel includes the occasional building challenge, and during your stay an odour was identified in our club bar, which was swiftly identified and the cause established and resolved within a couple of hours.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Where do I start...... Firstly the staff are trying hard to compensate for a hotel that is 10 years overdue a refurb. The rooms are clean but frankly not up to the standard of a mid range hotel.

I stayed in room 210 - it had a electric shower that vibrates and goes very hot when the water pressure drops. Thankfully I was on my own - but if I had my children with me - I wouldnt let them near this shower.

Th room has a desk but no chair, so it was practically impossible to work - so don't use this hotel for business!!

The floor creaked and I heard everyone one that passes my front door.

I could go on - my advice would be to go somewhere else if you want a modern hotel, I do feel for the staff, they are trying but it is clear this hotel is run on a shoestring.

Parking was great - and the lake was interesting - possible wedding venue, but your guests will talk more about the 1970's deco.

Room Tip: Don't go in room 210!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations following your recent stay. I am sorry to learn despite your enjoyment of our lakeside setting, clean room and ample parking facilities, your stay with us fell below your expectation.

I am confident that had you brought your observations to the attention of the team they would have been more than happy to resolve the issue immediately, but again I am sorry for the shortcoming identified and from your observation, the missing chair is being relocated as we speak!

We continue to work on our improvement programme, and recently have invested in refurbishment of the leisure club facilities.

Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed here for 2 nights in a twin room. Overall, a very good stay. My room was very large, with french doors overlooking the lake. Some of the furniture was a little dated, but everything was clean and well presented.

Check in was quick and efficient, not the most welcoming and wasn't provided with a lot of information about the facilities on offer. What does make this hotel though is the fantastic restaurant. The food was excellent and the staff very friendly.

All in all, parts of the hotel are a little dated but it didn't detract from a good stay. I will certainly be staying here again.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to note your observations following your 2 night stay with us at Ramada Sutton Coldfield.

I am delighted you had a pleasant experience with us overall and found your room to your liking, clean, well presented and I do hope you enjoyed the view overlooking the lake. I sincerely appreciate your kind comments regarding the staff being friendly and I am glad you found the food in the restaurant to be excellent.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Brook Marston Farm Hotel
Brook Marston Farm Hotel
#8 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Travelodge Birmingham Sutton Coldfield
Travelodge Birmingham Sutton Col...
#5 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Royal Hotel
Royal Hotel
#10 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
The Belfry
The Belfry
#1 of 1 in Wishaw

Been to Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield? Share your experiences!