“Tired but okay”

Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed here as a family wedding was being held at the venue. As we had a long drive to get there, we were allowed to check in at 12.15 which was very helpful. The staff at the hotel were very good, quick and polite and the buffet at the wedding was good. The only problem is that the decor of the rooms is very, very tired and desperately needs updating.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your time in providing an insight into your recent stay at Ramada Sutton Coldfield, and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed yourself at the wedding. We are most appreciative of your constructive and positive report towards the staff and the food at the wedding reception

We are a 3 star mid market hotel, and whilst I concur that aspects of the property would benefit from investment, we are committed to ensuring rooms are clean and well maintained, and our team is friendly and welcoming however what we have as shortcomings, we hope is made up for through efficient service, pleasant grounds, extensive free car parking, leisure club facilities and an easily accessible location.

I do hope you are able to stay with us again.

Fiona Lockyer

Write a ReviewReviews (1,555)

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Well, what can I say? Front of house was fine and the staff were absolutely lovely... but the hotel is shabby, shabby, shabby. The cream carpets were permanently dirty and held together with black Duck Tape (I kid you not), the paintwork was scuffed, the balcony off my room (which overlooked the bins) was hanging and looked quite frankly unsafe. My room was decorated nicely enough with clean linen, but it smelled very musty (with so many rooms to fill, I'm not sure they get opened up that often), and the TV didn't work properly and was in the wrong place to be able to watch. I arrived at about 7pm and walked past quite a few finished room-service meal trays on the floor. They were still there the next morning.

To be honest, it's a never again from me. Ironically, I'd stayed in the Fairlawns hotel & spa a few miles away the night before, which was beautifully-presented... and cheaper. You go figure.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to note your observations following your recent stay at Ramada Sutton Coldfield.

We are a 3 star mid market hotel, and whilst I concur that aspects of the property would benefit from investment, we are committed to ensuring rooms are clean and well maintained, and our team is friendly and welcoming. The great news is new carpets have been ordered and are being laid this week, and can be viewed on our hotel Facebook page if you are interested!

I am concerned at the suggestion that a balcony might be unsafe, and having checked all 50 rooms with this feature, mostly overlooking grounds or the lake, all are fit for purpose. I believe your view would be more fairly described as overlooking grounds with linen storage cages, that form part of our servicing equipment underneath a protected area? our on property painter and decorator continues his programme of repainting to keep pace with daily wear and tear. Thank you for highlighting the delay in clearing room service trays - we had experienced a full hotel departing early followed by more than 80 rooms arriving before 1pm due to early wedding starts, which we had coped with well. A number of early arrivals ordered room service, and I regret we were slower than we would have liked returning to clear the trays as the team were involved in maintaining service throughout the building to a large number of guests. It is certainly a lesson learnt and processes have been reviewed to ensure this is not repeated. Guests arriving with a more luxurious expectation may be disappointed, however what we have as shortcomings, we hope is made up for through efficient service, pleasant grounds, extensive free car parking, leisure club facilities and an easily accessible location.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed for a couple of nights so that we could take in local attractions like Drayton Manor and Cadbury World. The hotel itself is a little dated but it's excellent quality for money.
The staff were exceptionally helpful and courteous and overall the hotel (and our room) was spotlessly clean.

On our first night we chose to eat in the restaurant as it looked quite opulent despite the prices being very affordable. Unfortunately it didn't take long to figure out why the place was virtually empty.

We both ordered the lasagne as well as a bread basket and we ordered bangers & mash for our three year old boy. The lasagne was dry and burnt around the edges and the side salad didn't even have a drop of dressing. That was the least of our concerns. The bread basket had four small slices of bread that had clearly come straight out of the microwave in order to soften up otherwise stale bread and our sons meal, ordered from the children's menu, wasn't suitable for consumption by animals, let alone a child. The sausages were clearly leftovers from that mornings breakfast due to the fact that every ounce of meat was rock hard and the mash looked as if it had been sitting under the heat lamps for far too long.

The fact that my son had been presented with a meal that was simply inedible was enough for me to complain but as I returned to the table with the manager, my wife pointed out what appeared to be mould on the underside of the garlic bread that was served with the lasagne.

Before the manager disappeared with our plates in order to speak to the chef, she already conceded that the meal was of a very low standard and that we wouldn't be charged. After a lengthy discussion with the chef, she returned to tell us that the mould on the garlic bread was, in fact, freezer burn. Personally, I'm still skeptical but either way, it should never have been served. No excuse was offered for the inexcusable excuse for a meal our son was served however the manager in question was fantastically polite and balanced with the matter and asked us to return the following evening in order for them to prove that the entire situation was a one off.

We decided to return the following night, mainly because we were exhausted having spent all day in the theme park and didn't fancy exploring for a new restaurant. The experience on the second night could not possibly have been more different. Every single item we were served was clearly cooked fresh with fresh ingredients and the flavours and presentation was outstanding. The quality of the meal on the second night far surpassed the prices being charged and was a much more appropriate reflection of the standard they usually hold.

To provide some further context, we weren't charged for our meal on the first night and we insisted in paying the full price on the second night despite being offered a generous discount due the the excellent recovery the staff made.

Overall I highly recommend the hotel as an ideal base for anyone exploring the local area with kids.

Room Tip: Personally I would be reluctant to stay in the first few rooms on the ground floor due to the fact t...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest (LF) - we know who you are so forgive us not using your name however Trip doesn't allow us to!

Thank you for taking the time to record your thoughts on your recent experience at Ramada Sutton Coldfield and I am sorry that on this occasion some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations, although these were resolved by our colleague Himani whom you were kind enough to compliment in communication with the hotel.

I was pleased to learn that overall it appeared you all enjoyed your stay with us and the staff were very quickly able to address the shortcomings you encountered. I do appreciate your observations regarding the food served in the restaurant and as you are aware we have since discussed this matter with the Head Chef and the kitchen team to ensure our food is of high quality and meets our usual high standard. We concur that a team member who in advisably took a short cut in preparation has recognised the error of his ways! I was pleased to learn that alls well that ended well and overall you would highly recommend us. I sincerely hope as a family you enjoyed the visits to the local attractions. I do hope you will return to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is the first time I've stayed at the Ramada aka Penns Hall Hotel aka Crossroads Motel (well used in the opening and closing credits anyway!) however I'd been here on a few occasions for Xmas parties and conferences..I was not disappointed...With a room coming in at around £60 and a myriad of extra benefits such as the leisure club, restaurant, good value in-room dining and a great choice of the latest films this is a hotel that definitely gets it right. The staff all seem helpful and friendly, a vital contributing factor to any positive experience and the room was tidy and a real home from home for the weekend in a hotel set in expansive greenery with a large lake running alongside...a bit of a rabbit warren though.,feel like you need a sat nav permanently on hand to guide you back to your room...Breakfast was a fine and varied buffet that set you up for the day....didn't manage to track down Benny or Miss Diane but that hardly mattered..this place is well worth a stay and we were both highly impressed!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear Crossroads fan?!!

Thank you for sharing your recent positive experience, and in particular taking the time to recognise the courtesy and friendliness of the team as well as the extensive grounds and facilities. Your report has taken pride of place on our team notice board!

We do occasionally still welcome some of the cast for the odd"where are they now" filming, so do like our Facebook page to be sure of keeping up with future news.

Best wishes from all the team

Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

The staff were really friendly and polite. The room was clean and the television had excellent movie's for my kid's at a very reasonable price. Unfortunately the hotel seems quite dated. There was a bad smell in the staircase at the left of reception and our bathroom was very old but clean and tidy. The view from our windows was of a wall that was 8-10ft away. Would I stay here again Yes I would not want that room again but it was last minute and maybe the only room available. The staff made the stay and that is more important is polite bend over backwards staff. The bar staff who helped me out with milk for my son's bottle at bedtime were great and saved me having to look for a shop and they didn't charge.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear guest

Thank you for your candid report, and for recognising the courtesy and friendliness of our team in particular. I am pleased to know you were promptly assisted with milk for your child, and found the facilities clean and presentable.

Please do let us know of any future visits by contacting us directly and where possible we would be pleased to ensure the allocation of a garden view or lake view, which many of the bedrooms enjoy.

With best regards

Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Not super decor in rooms and a bit holiday campish. Spa needs serious attention and updating. Jacuzzi cold. However this was all abated due to the excellent customer service from all the team members we came across. Lovely staff and very helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. Enjoyed breakfasts with lots of lovely choices as well as Steak Night which was spot on for the price.
Recommend also a near by Indian Restaurant called Panache. Absolutely gorgeous food. Even the cabbies were lovely. Would return again.

• Stayed: May 2013
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your views about your recent stay at the Ramada Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield. We were delighted to hear that you had a good time and enjoyed the food, in particular the breakfast and our steak night.

Your very kind observation in relation to the teams professional customer service shown, is much appreciated and very much valued. We will continue to ensure that all our guests receive a warm welcome. Looking forward to being of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had our wedding anniversary in the lakeside room at the Ramada in Sutton Coldfield and a number of our guests including ourselves stopped there that evening. We had a fantastic time, the venue was superb, the food was fantastic and the staff were polite, helpful and extremely professional. Nobody at the party had a bad word to say and there were 140 people so that's quite impressive!
The stay that evening was lovely, the rooms were well presented, again the staff were polite and helpful and throughout the whole organisation process we found that no request was too big for them. All in all they were fantastic and we would highly recommend holding a function/staying at this venue. Also the breakfast was on until 12!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your recent positive stay at the Ramada Sutton Coldfield and for giving us such a glowing report and recommendation. I was absolutely delighted to hear that you all had such a good time. I also really value your kind observation of the professionalism and friendliness of my team and we will continue to go the extra mile to ensure we always give excellent customer service.

Be sure to follow us on our facebook page to find out about our events, news and offers and we look forward to being of service to you again in future.

Kind Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Brook Marston Farm Hotel
Brook Marston Farm Hotel
#8 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Travelodge Birmingham Sutton Coldfield
Travelodge Birmingham Sutton Col...
#5 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Royal Hotel
Royal Hotel
#10 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
The Belfry
The Belfry
#1 of 1 in Wishaw

Been to Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield? Share your experiences!