“Pleasantly suprised” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly suprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Having read some of the unfavourable comments posted for the hotel we had mixed feelings about the Groupon offer we had booked, however we have been pleasantly surprised at the standard of service we have received during our stay this weekend. The room was comfortable and clean, the staff friendly and helpful and the "Feed the Family" dining package which we had as room service exceeded our expectations. Our 8 year old Grandson thoroughly enjoyed his time spent in the leisure club pool and the room service meal together with the included multimedia package was in his words" Fantastic" and earned us the accolade of the Best Nanny and Grandad in the world, what more could we ask for!!!!!!!!
Thank you for making our Grandson's birthday treat a success.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear " Best Nanny and Grandad in the world "

Thank you for sharing your experience of your recent stay and I am so pleased to hear that you all had a fantastic time with us and that your grandson had a great birthday.

We look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

Fiona Lockyer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Our second visit to this friendly and relaxing hotel. We have already enjoyed a stay in this hotel and that encouraged us to stay again. We were not disappointed. We took advantage of a promotional rate and after my original booking I found that I needed to change the date. The receptionist could not have been more helpful and when we arrived we found that we had been upgraded to a really lovely room. We made full use of the pool and the hotel is situated in the middle of picturesque surroundings with numerous walks to choose from, all flat and easily accesible. A very relaxing and peaceful stay but less than six miles from Birmingham city centre. The staff at this hotel are welcoming, friendly and professional, keen to make your stay a good one. We will definately visit again.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to a studio.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay here at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield. We were delighted that you returned to stay with us and that you enjoyed your time at the hotel again.

As a team we are committed to a friendly welcoming service and excellent food as well as taking care of the facilities, all for great value, and as you say, with the benefit of Birmingham city centre within easy reach.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

We pre-booked B+B online for the hotel, so got a good price. The hotel has a little bit of a musty smell in the reception, but otherwise the setting is good and we enjoyed everything else about our stay...the pool facilities were good; the room was spacious and uptogether, and the breakfast hit the spot! I would recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, I am delighted to hear that overall your stay was enjoyable. We very much appreciate your recommendation and I am delighted to learn your breakfast "hit the spot". We look forward to being of service again in the future.

Kind regards

Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Went with a friend on a deal to use the spa facilities. We were expecting a 4 star Hotel and we got a 2 star ! The decor was very old, tired and run down and upon inspection, while having a sit down on the very creaky plastic loungers provided around the pool, the wood beams of the building looked mouldy and not maintained at all. The changing rooms were very dated and there isn't much room and only half the keys to the lockers actually had a band in which to attach to your leg or arm while using the pool. The steam room and sauna were lovely though and the best bit along with the jacuzzi which was alittle annoying because it kept turning off and the button to turn it on was across the room ! The staff were mostly friendly. I wouldn't go again even on another deal.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Jenniebean2012
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts following your recent stay, and despite you enjoying the leisure facilities and exceptional value that the voucher purchased ensured, I am disappointed you would not consider a future stay.

As a team we are committed to friendly welcoming service and excellent food as well as taking care of the facilities, all for great value, and with the benefit of Birmingham city centre within easy reach.

Travelers are raving about these Sutton Coldfield hotels

Lee on the Solent
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Two years ago we stayed at this hotel and were absolutely thrilled to have found such a gem.

On returning to the midlands this week for a short break we had no hesitation in booking a family room for me, wife, 8 year old son and 6 year old daughter.

We arrived just before two and the receptionist informed us the room wasn't ready but we were free to use the leisure facilities. We duly accepted and enjoyed our swim.

We then formally checked in and were informed that we were in the Penn annexe which was sited adjacent to the main hotel.

Below is a list of things wrong with the room.

1. It was dirty. Not filthy, just dusty, a malteser (I hope) on the floor and a feeling it hadn't been cleaned very well.

2. The room had a musty smell to it.

3. The main bed was very uncomfortable. The double bed had a thing on it which looked like a duvet / cover under the main sheet which I've never seen before. I did not look under it as I was scared if I saw the matress I would not be able to sleep on it.

4. The children slept in a sofa bed which looked like it was ready to collapse. I felt genuinly bad asking my son to sleep on it. You could feel the springs and nothing else. It was dusty and I'm not sure what was living in it.

5. My daughter slept on a contraption that looked like a medieval torture device. I've never seen anyrhing quite like it in my life.

6. On going out we left the sign for the 'beds' to be made. On arrival back later in the evening they weren't. Strange that on our last day we had a knock at nine in the morning asking when we were leaving.

7. For a family room, there was nowhere to put our stuff. A small unit to hang up coats but what about t shirts, pants, socks etc?

8. We found Silverfish in the bathroom. Thats pretty horrible to think you are staying next to them.

At checkout we informed the lady about this and she seemec genuinly concerned. Pity both managers were on the phone and unable to speak to us. Also a pity they haven't called us as we requested.

All in all this was one of the most disappointing rooms we have ever stayed in. I doubt we would come back which is a shame consideing how much we enjoyed our previous visit.

Room Tip: Don't go to the Penn annexe.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest (apologies we can not address you by name as Trip does not permit this),

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your observations on Trip Advisor in advance of communicating directly with me, and I am sorry this means I am writing in the public domain instead of a more personal response.

It is a disappointment that your return visit following your previously successful stay did not on this occasion meet expectations, due to the comfort of the bed and the presence of silverfish in the bathroom. Immediately on receipt of your comments I have visited the room, and despite a recent change of mattress, noted an opportunity to improve its comfort, so have replaced once again. The sofa bed following careful inspection was free of any unexpected guests as implied, and we do stress this is suitable for a young child up to the age of 12 only reflecting the simple mattress that is contained, although the facility gives families a cost effect solution to accommodating multiple occupants.

The Zbeds are routinely checked to ensure they are safely functioning, having been put in place and made up ready for use.

Whilst there was no sign of silverfish today, I have researched the impact, and note there is absolutely no risk to human health in their presence, which is a risk is humid or damp conditions associated with bathroom environments. The room has been in continuous use since the 9th May, giving it no opportunity to develop any staleness, and is aired daily when our housekeeping team service the rooms. I am sorry that you found a rogue Malteaser on the carpet, and assure you my housekeeping manager is reviewing this oversight to ensure it is an isolated incident.

I note you kindly observed the team welcomed you well, and were genuinely caring in listening to your feedback on departure, and I do hope you were able to make use of the hotel facilities including extensive leisure club and restaurant for breakfast, as well enjoy the grounds over a glorious weather weekend.

Yours sincerely

British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

This hotel is a little bit tired, it has to be said!

The sauna/steam room/pool were good and the food in the evening and breakfast were excellent.

The staff were very pleasant and attentive.

The hotel itself needs some attention - it is old and rambling (a bit like a maze!!) and the water pressure in the showers was poor, but everything was clean and tidy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at Ramada Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield. I am glad your experience was mostly positive, and in particular you enjoyed use of the extensive leisure facilities on site.

Whilst the hotel enjoys many unique features that have developed within it's character over the years, the grounds, views and range of facilities as well as the warmth of welcome by the team I hope make our guests stay enjoyable, more than offsetting any opportunity for investment and I appreciate your kind acknowledgement of the positive benefits we offer.

We look forward to being of assistance again in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Just come back from a 2 day stay at the hotel. First impressions as we pulled into the car park - pleasantly surprised with all the greenery surroundings. Check-in took ages. We came after 2pm and although there was a queue, we were told to wait in the bar area as room was not ready, but should be in 20 mins and was told someone would let us know. 50 mins later (after a tiring journey), still no sign of anyone so i enquired again. I had to queue up again for another 10 mins and this was quite frustrating, as was not really kept in the loop. There was about 4 ple ahead of me. I did feel ignored even as I approached the counter so I do believe they need to improve their customer services front desk. A smile can go a long way.......Receptionist said the room was still not ready, but was upgraded upon REQUEST to an executive. At this point I believe the receptionist should have prompted that gesture as oppose to the customer. But hey, we did get into an executive room so cant complain too much.

The bed was comfy, the room was big, the en-suite was ok, apart from a terrible stench (we kept the door shut at all times). I mean it was awful. This same stench was lurking in the corridors, and the walk to the room was sooooooooo long. Again, like some else said previously there was no help available with bags and there was lots of corridors and stairways.

The dinner was ok, slightly over-priced. We did later discover local indian restaurants, pizza hut, KFC, dominos pizza only a stone's throw away. The service at dinner time was good. The food arrived quickly and the fish n chips was plenty. It was peaceful and not over crowded unlike at breakfast - restaurant was jam packed. We dont eat meat so no veg. sausages available but plenty of fresh fruit, variety of cereals available, and hot food. Only thing was there was a queue for hot food. Perhaps having more staff when there are events on at w/ends, bank holidays would resolve the problem ??? Also by the time we got our food we had to queue again for the toaster as they only had one, so our food was cold. There were people getting really upset and ple in the bread q just looked fed up. Nevertheless, you could see the waiting staff really running around trying to sort out orders as well as the manager.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel as its quiet, peaceful and generally worth what we paid!!!

Room Tip: If you get an executive room, ask for one facing the lake. Its beautiful
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your observations following your mostly successful stay at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield. I very much appreciate your constructive thoughts regarding consistency in the warmth of welcome from the reception team, and facilities within the restaurant for toast at breakfast, and we will continue to strive towards eliminating any delays due to high demand.

The unfortunate odour was caused by a guest placing an item down the toilet that caused a major blockage of our drains, and whilst swiftly sorted, the smell took sometime to clear. Deodourisers were placed in every room and corridor along with every opportunity without compromising security, to open external doors being taken and whilst it will be of little consolation, the lasting effects have now cleared.

I am pleased to note you would recommend and return to the hotel, we look forward to being of service in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,489 reviews
Premier Inn Birmingham North (Sutton Coldfield) Hotel
Premier Inn Birmingham North (Su...
#4 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
#8 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
#1 of 1 in Aldridge

Been to Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield? Share your experiences!