“A very large hotel”

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“A very large hotel”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This is a very large rambling hotel and easy to get lost in. The rooms are clean but looking and feeling very tired. Sleep quality was good and room quiet and warm (it needed to be as it was very cold outside). Evening meal was good quality and plenty of it with breakfast (buffet style) ample to keep you going for most of the day. Service from the staff was very good and all were very pleasant. Plenty of parking on site so less to worry about.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind and positive comments regarding your recent stay at Ramada Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield, in particular noting the friendliness of the team and quality of meals including dinner and breakfast.

Indeed we could be considered a large hotel, and of course this enables us to support extensive facilities including our leisure club, 14 acres of grounds and event suites which are attractive to those wishing to organise large events and conferences.

We do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you again in the near future.

Yours faithfully

Fiona Lockyer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Plymouth UK
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Not a hugely happy experience, beginning with a massive pothole in the driveway: clearly not new but I reported it anyway on arrival. A waste of breath; it was still not even marked with a cone when I left the next day.

But let's start with the good bits. The gym is entirely satisfactory, plenty of machines and a 1.2m deep pool which is not good for lengths but is OK for circles. Steam room and sauna both good too; the Jacuzzi was a bit feeble however. Breakfast was good, apart from the DIY toast facility: those ghastly conveyer belts which char the surface of the bread rather thank cooking toast. Staff friendly.

We passed on the option of an evening meal; I wandered into the dark and dull dining room and could not find a menu, however with the cheapest bottle of house wine at £19 it looked like being expensive: we went to Don Diego's, three miles away, which was excellent.

I was in room 402 in the Annex: a good sized 'studio' room: the window had a view of a corridor; on the other side of which was a wall of glass bricks. So no view and little natural light, and I thought the lights in the room had broken when I turned them on. They weren't; they are just very dim, and a couple of bulbs were gone - or fittings faulty. The room was not very warm, but the radiator quickly sorted that out. Unfortunately the bathroom heating was not working: a shame as the bathroom was large and tiled ... and was and stayed cold. By the time it became apparent that this was the case if was too late to move rooms of course. My colleague was in room 216 in the main building, and his room was only very slightly larger than the bed inside it. A less slim man would have had to climb over the bed to reach the far side of the room!

I expected to have all the standard freeview and digital radio channels, but the selection is massively restricted. You get BBC 1,2; ITV 1,2,3; Ch 4,5; Sky News, Sly Three; CBBC, CBeebies; E4+1 and Dave on the TV, and on the Radio: BBC R1,2,4,5 and a local station. No Film4, Radio 3, Classic FM, Radio 4Extra etc. The reason is of course that they want you to spend £20 on the TV and Internet package, or buy the elements piecemeal: £6 for each film; £2for each music album. I asked at Reception if I could have the use of a radio, but was told this was not possible. I asked if the Internet could be turned on so I could listen on-line: no this was not possible: I would have to pay the standard £6 an hour or £12 a day for internet (not actually true: executive rooms have the entire package included). I asked if this could be referred to a duty manager, but was told there was nobody to speak to until the morning. Hopeless.

After my stay I was contacted by the hotel and told that they can provide a radio, so whether this is untrue, or whether the receptionist was simply unaware of the policy I don't know.

In summary; if you get a good rate, and if you want to make use of the gym and pool, and if you don’t want to listed to classical music or watch a film, then stay - but check the room heating first!

Room Tip: The Annex is a separate building: means a walk outside to the dining room or fitness suite; not so g...
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your views on your experience following your stay at Ramada Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield. I am aware you spoke with one of our reception supervisors on departure following your short stay, and immediately in response Amy Emailed you with actions taken to ensure we have a radio on which you could specifically listen to Classic FM, your preferred station. In addition, you also completed our on line guest survey, and we have responded to this too, in which we confirmed that regrettably potholes are as a result on the continuous inclement weather, and once conditions improve, we will be taking appropriate action.

I can confirm we do not have a jacuzzi within our leisure club. I believe you are referring to the bubble pool, which is a feature within our leisure pool, and therefore shares the same water and is the same temperature as the pool itself. I am confident the breakfast team would offer to make toast for guests who prefer this, the self serve providing guests with a range of bread options including crumpets.

We are glad you enjoyed your dining experience at a local restaurant, and for your reference, our house wine is actually priced at £16, not £19 as stated, for a single grape good quality wine. Thank you for mentioning that the large bathroom in room 402 was not as warm as you would have liked, and as a consequence our maintenance team have bled the towel rail, which appears to have done the trick.

We continue to strive for all our guests to enjoy their stay and our facilities, and appreciate guests taking the time and trouble to share their observations so we are able to address continuous improvements.

Yours faithfully

Travelers are raving about these Sutton Coldfield hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Came here for (thankfully) only 1 night on 16th March with my fiance.

Our 1st impression was how lovely, set in idyllic grounds. very peacful and tranquil.

Then we checked in......sigh. the room we were allocated had a double bed and a single bed all pushed together meaning floor space was non existent and too make matters worse the bed springs were so prominant i slept on top of the blankets for any sort of comfort. The sheets didn't fit the bed. and the room stank of stale smoke (there was a no smoking sign on the door) with regard to the decor of the room it seemed very dated but hey ho it isn't cheap decorating a hotel so that can be over looked.

We were off out for the night so i went into the bathroom for a shower and was hit by an over powering smell of herbal nature and not rosemary & thyme!!! there was black around the bath and only enough towels for 1 person to shower, handy right??

In the morning we went to the restaurant for our breakfast an di asked one of the waiting staff if i could have some fried eggs (1st time i've not seen them on the breakfast buffet i must say) "sure" he said, 1/2 hour later still no eggs so i upped and left. I know it's a minor thing but it wasn't a big request. over all i couldn't wait to get out of there. all in all a very poor experience had.

I won't be recommending this place thats for sure in fact quite the opposite.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this review, March 28, 2013

Dear Paul

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to record your thoughts on your recent stay at Ramada Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield. I am sincerely sorry to learn we did not meet expectations.

As you were also kind enough to complete our online survey, I was able to investigate your concerns fully and personally visited the with my housekeeping manager to follow up on your experience and ensure shortfalls have been addressed.

I completely agree that in booking a room for 2 guests, you would not expect the third bed that is stored under the double bed, to be set up. We do have high demand for family rooms especially at weekends, and consequently we had got in the habit of ensuring family rooms were fully prepared. On this occasion, as we had more demand for standard double rooms, your booking was changed to a family room, however clearly it was an ommision to then fail to return the z bed to storage. Since your feedback, we have reviewed our communication processes, and the property management system capability, and identified improved ways in which we can correctly prepare for arriving guests.

On my inspection I did not detect any smoke odour, and housekeeping are usually attentive to such rare occasions, not least in reporting smoking damage for specialist cleaning and charging to the guilty party! On this occasion no report had been made, however I am confident had a request been received to change the room reception would have done their utmost to assist. I can also confirm that the shower curtain in place on my checks was spotless, giving me latter confidence that the routine replacement programme is in place. I detected a small amount of black discolouration in the corner of the bath, which requires replacement of the mastick, and this is being undertaken as a priority.

My restaurant team join me in apologising for the oversight in not delivering a fried egg. Clearly after 30 minutes, it was evident it had been overlooked, and the team will be reviewing their attention to ensure their usual high standards are not deviated from.

Utlimately, your stay was not reflective of the experience we would hope to have created and we have emailed you directly with a view to restoring your good faith in our hotel.

Thank you once again for taking the time and trouble to share your thoughts.

Yours sincerely,

England
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Room clean and spacious.
Cot for the room was not there as per my booking- had to call to chase.
Breakfast was excellent, Jamie in the restaurant looked after us well as usual.
Leisure facilities were adequate, featuring a small children/ babies pool, sauna, steam room, Gym and onsite spa and hair salon (extra charges)

Room Tip: One in the main hotel and not the mews.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ramadasutton, General Manager at Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Guest

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent experience at Ramada Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield and are delighted that your overall stay was positive. In particular, Jamie was pleased to receive your comments, and all the team will continue to ensure our guests receive a warm welcome.

We are also happy to note that you enjoyed the breakfast and that you and your family were able to make good use of our leisure facilities.

Don't forget to 'like' us on Facebook to keep abreast of news and future offers and we hope to welcome you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed here last week for an over nighter whilst on a business trip, I am about to join in the tens of other reviews that complain about the shabby rooms. I know the manager has come back previosuly admitting that the rooms could do with some TLC and that they are afterall only a 3 star accomodation but some of the previous reviews go back 4 years or so and it seems to me that nothing has changed. I usually stay at Premier Inns, they are cheap and clean and you know what you are getting, I paid £75 to stay at this Ramada hotel and it should never have happened and wont again. The staff where pleasant enough and on the whole the hotel reception and bar areas are fine, I wont complain like other people about the distance of rooms because this is only due to the nature of the hotel layout over the years. I wouldnt say my room was very dirty but just a little shabby and tired, the radiator kept me awake all night because it clanked and clonked! The decor was old but rooms well equipped, the hotel is not worth £75 pe rnight, more like £45 per night for which I would stay again. Oh and the bar is expensive and no matter what the manageress says regarding the prices being competitve, they are not, I stay in hotels every week and this is one of the most expensive to have a drink in. One more thing to mention is that the hotel is generally noisey at night due to the amount of weddings etc that the hotel caters for so if you are looking for a bite to eat, a few drinks and a decent sleep before work the next day dont bother, and if you do get to bed take ear plugs because the radiator next to your bed will keep you alert for most of the night, oh or the fan in the bathroom, oh or the famous light under the doors! good luck!

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to record your views on your recent experience whilst staying at Ramada Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield. I am sorry to learn that despite your acknowledged friendliness of the team and cleanliness of the property, both of which are key in ensuring a pleasant stay, your over riding impression is not to return. You kindly note that we respond to all comments left on this site, and generally by doing so, future guests appreciate our honesty and acknowledgement that as a three star, mid market hotel, we are what we are in terms of current decor. Our in house painter and decorator works on a continual cycle to update rooms.

We would recommend guests do not choose to leave their bathroom light on, as indeed the extract fan is connected to the same, to aid in the removal of steam and prevent build up of condensation and mold. I do hope you mentioned the radiator rumble to reception, who would have quickly checked this and altered the thermostatic valve to stop any noise.

With regards bar prices, we routinely compare these with other local comparable hotel establishments and they are much the same, however we will continue to monitor them. In addition, we have introduced great dining offers on Tuesday, Thursday and now Fridays, in which a tasty main meal includes a drink, for just £10.

Thank you once again for your feedback,

Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Lovely hotel with character.
Excellent food in a beautiful restaurant. Two course set meal very good value but some bar meals a little expensive.
Comfortable bar area.
Lots of facilities such as indoor pool & beauty parlour which I didn't have time to use.
Rooms I think vary. I was in room 208 which was OK. A little noisy due to the extractor fan outside possibly from the kitchen. Room seemed quite basic & a little cold.
Some rooms difficult to find when you first arrive as the hotel is a bit of a maze.
Staff all extrememly helpful & friendly.
Many thanks.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room that is away from the kitchen. Ask for directions from reception so you don'...
Dear Guest

Thank you for your time in providing an insight into your recent stay at Ramada Sutton Coldfield, and we are delighted that your overall stay was positive. In particular the team appreciates your kind observation of their helpfulness and friendliness, and we are delighted that the restaurant and facilties met your expectations.

Whilst I do concur that the hotel has an unusual layout, having been developed over the years in a low rise style, I hope you understand that given our residential location, building up was not an option. Most rooms benefit from views over the lake or gardens, and are generally quiet with no passing traffic or external noise to disturb. Having a non-conforming traditional style can also be part of our appeal!

It is our hope to be able to serve you again in future.

Birmingham ,England
Reviewed March 24, 2013

The hotel is beautifully situated in extensive wooded grounds with a lake, in the northern part of Birmingham. We had a dinner reservation at their restaurant and decided to stay overnight. We were not made to feel welcome on arrival - no smile, no welcoming words, just a stony-faced basic reception. No one forces anyone to become a hotel receptionist. The welcome one receives sets the scene for the whole stay, so a bad welcome is bad for the hotel. Dinner was good -we have favourably reviewed this restaurant before - but readers should note that prospective diners were being turned away until a later time even though the restaurant was less than one third full and was never more than half full all evening. Suggest you reserve! Our standard bedroom was clean but very dated, being all in pink and with a very old pink bathroom suite which must have been there for decades. When we turned in, we had to complain about noise from a party event in their function suite, and were moved to an "Executive" room at the far end of the building. This room was significantly better but I'm not sure it was worth an extra £20 per night if booked normally. The staff did apologize. Apparently we should have been told to expect some noise in that part of the building when functions are going on. Breakfast was a very good and comprehensive buffet, though the only eggs were scrambled. A mixed visit - some good some bad, but the worst aspect was reception on arrival and departure. N. B It's a large hotel and it may be worth a gamble to turn up late without a reservation - rates can be significantly below the standard advertised rate.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room as it's a popular destination for functions which can be very noisy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your views on your recent stay at Ramada Birmingham, Sutton Coldfield. You also completed our online survey following your stay, and your observation regarding the lack of warmth from our receptionist was noted, resulting in an immediate follow up phone call from our reception manager in which she endeavoured to identify the colleague to ensure follow up coaching.

We are disappointed to note your positive restaurant experience was marred by an apparent lack of desire to welcome more guests, and we do appreciate that private events taking place in 5 suites are not visible to restaurant diners, who may then perceive the hotel is not busy and any paced seating to ensure no delays in preparing food, unnecessary. We are glad you enjoyed breakfast too, and can confirm fried, poached and other eggs are available by ordering, from the team as these tend to deteriorate quickly under heat lamps. We will ensure the team are consistent in offering additional items and fully explaining service.

We look forward to being of service in the future, and thank you once again for your time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,571 reviews
New Hall Hotel & Spa
New Hall Hotel & Spa
#2 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,157 reviews
Premier Inn Birmingham North (Sutton Coldfield) Hotel
Premier Inn Birmingham North (Su...
#4 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
The Belfry
The Belfry
#1 of 1 in Wishaw
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,813 reviews

Been to Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield? Share your experiences!