All reviews chair covers wedding reception wedding venue evening buffet couldn't do enough trouser press tired and in need sat nav wedding breakfast dietary requirements sunday lunch lovely setting bit dated from start to finish plenty of parking following morning canal
Reviewed August 10, 2018 via mobile

A truly awful room.

My girlfriend reviewed this hotel on the 4th of August 2018, following our stay and the management response to this honest review is even more infuriating than the shabby room.

Management did discount our horrible stay by 50%, but in response to my girlfriends review they suggest this constitutes as a reason for us not to post a review regards our stay. This is shocking, this discount was a reflection of the horrible experience, and not a bribe to not share our thoughts.

Our room obviously housed a boiler in the roof space, the noise was horrendous throughout the early hours of the morning. We recorded it and shared this with reception, regrettably trip advisor will not allow external links, or videos.

In management's reply to my girlfriend highlighting this, although they accepted responsibility at the time, the management team now publicly state that this horrible noise was due to the hotels is set in a rural location and the noise was not the boiler but the harvesters working on the land adjacent to the property.

Management should know WE ARE NOT IDIOTS!! If you would like my CV and some references I'd be happy to supply them! In addition we filmed it! We showed it you! It was coming from the roof space! It was your plumbing!

Your response has angered me greatly. Our experience of that room was truly terrible, it's a warn out, outdated hotel in need of a total refurbishment, a fact you acknowledge highlighting your redecorating programme, and until your ill thought response to public criticism had no complaints regards the staff.

It needs allot of TLC and a discerning eye over it to ensure standards are brought up.

I've included a picture of an overflowing bin in a corridor bathroom to demonstrate what I mean. (The broken paper dispenser obviously could have happened anywhere, but that bin had obviously not been checked in a long time).

I suggest a time scale is noted in your response to nullify our review once work is completed. Until then i suggest travellers should contact the hotel to check progress of the refurbishment, and avoid room 24.

Until you complete the overhall of the room people have a right to be aware of what their booking.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
DUmmat, Director at Brook Marston Farm Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2018

Dear Luke B

I refer back to the comments made by us in response to an earlier review posted by your girlfriend regarding your stay

and I quote

"We respect the right of any guest to share their opinion and appreciate the feedback all the more if it is constructive and enables us to improve our customer service and guest experience and naturally we appreciate the opportunity to do so directly with the guest rather than publicly. "

Once again, we apologise that you did not enjoy your stay .

Regards

Reviewed August 10, 2018

We broke our journey here on the way home.
Some areas of the hotel were old fashioned and there were obvious signs that decoration was ongoing. Our bedroom and bathroom were spacious, clean and had everything we needed. The bed was large and comfortable and we enjoyed a good nights sleep.
All the staff we met were extremely helpful and friendly during our stay.
Both the evening meal and breakfast were very good.
Would stop off here again.

Room tip: Room 35 very quiet ( facing the courtyard)
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rgc222

Dear Rgc222

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for letting us know about your stay.
We are pleased that you were comfortable and able to leave fully rested for the remainder of your journey. It was a pleasure for Lee and all the team to welcome you to the hotel and we hope to be able to do so again so that you can enjoy the changes that are made.

Reviewed August 9, 2018

We just recently stayed at the Brook Marsden Hotel, which in it's self the setting was very nice, although Booking.com did not tell us that the hotel was under renovation. The room was basic, and the bed was the most uncomfortable bed I've slept in ever. I actually had to sleep on the chairs on the last night cause it was so unbearable. You could feel every spring popping out, and there was no padding in the mattress whatsoever.
It would have been nice to have been told that the hotel was under renovation before we booked it.
THe staff were nice, but the hotel I'm afraid was not very good!

• Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Hells2bells
DUmmat, Director at Brook Marston Farm Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2018

Dear Hells2bells

It is always difficult for us to learn that any guest left the Brook Marston Farm Hotel unhappy with their stay. as we are always keen to improve our standards and levels of service.

Regarding the renovations and improvements, these are taking place as part of a rolling programme and we are conducting this respectively around our guests. We apologise if this was unexpected and detracted from your stay.

In relation to the mattress, as with most hotels these need replacing from time to time and we do have several on order at the moment.
We apologise once again that this led to an uncomfortable night for you .

Regards

Reviewed August 8, 2018 via mobile

We have just stayed here whilst visiting the area. I have myself my Mum and four kids ages 14,12,10,10
Rooms perfect we had adjoining rooms on the ground floor. Spacious and everything you need . We were concerned having read reviews but it’s exactly what it is a country farm house and rooms have character and spacious and clean . We were totally looked after by Manager Lee who went over and above to make sure we were all looked after and the children were treated with as much respect as an adult which is rare . Food was amazing from taste to presentation . It is a wedding venue and having seen the photos and the grounds although not from this area will now be recommending this place to friends .

Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank Tracey N

Dear Tracey N

Thank you so much for letting us know how much you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. It is greatly appreciated, especially ,as we find that although many of our guests leave the hotel extremely pleased with their stay , their busy lives simply means that they do not get the opportunity to post for us.
Therefore we are extremely grateful to you for your kind and generous feedback. It was a pleasure for Lee and all the team to welcome you all to the hotel and we look forward to looking after you again the next time you visit.

Reviewed August 8, 2018

On checking in I was given a room that hadn’t been cleaned. The housekeeper was very friendly and immediately made up the room. The bed in my room was completely shot and should already have been replaced. It’s the first time I’ve seen the strange tap they had on the bathtub that meant the bath had to be filled (very slowly) via the shower head.
Dinner was poor. The bottle of white wine I was served came in a large beer bucket containing some ice cubes (no water) which was left for me to open along with a dirty wine glass (lipstick). At no point did anyone key the food was ok until they came to clear the plates. My fish and chips were terrible with rubber like batter that covered a thin sliver of fish. The eggs at breakfast were either cooked in dirty oil or on an unclean griddle
The hotel is currently being re-furbished, not before time. Though it’s strange that they are doing this around the guest, I had to walk through a corridor that was being stripped with loose plaster. Surely it would be better to close small sections and do then quickly.
Let’s hope the refurbishment is done well. Then they can do some staff training.
They are many better hotels in the area!

• Trip type: Traveled on business
3  Thank Simon M

Dear Simon M
We thank you for your comments and feedback today. It is extremely rare for our reception team to make such an error and direct a guest to an unserviced room and we are sincerely sorry for this error and the delay whilst housekeeping rectified this.

I am sorry that the room did not meet with your expectations but as you have noted, the hotel is currently undergoing a phased programme of improvements. We have undertaken this respectfully around our guests and once competed we hope that you will consider returning to stay with us.

Regarding your dining experience, I can only apologise that you did not enjoy eating with us on this occasion .The Brook Marston Farm Hotel has a new and dedicated General Manager who is keen to hear of such disappointments at the time. I am sure that you can appreciate that this would have given him and Chef the opportunity to apologise in person and for Chef to make a different dish in order to restore your faith in his kitchen.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay and we sincerely hope to see you back again the next time you are visiting.