“An excellent venue for a wedding”

Brook Marston Farm Hotel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Burton On Trent
“An excellent venue for a wedding”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

My stepson and his partner were married at Marston Farm Hotel on the 1 June 2012. It was faboulous!! Anthony and Emma made sure that the day was just perfect. Everyone attending the wedding had a wonderful time. Everything went to plan thanks to their hard work and a superb team of staff.

Another mention and thanks has to go to Jan the wedding planner. Jan kept in constant touch with us from the day we booked the wedding right up to the actual day. She made sure everything was in place to make it was such a successful day that it was.

When we first went to book this wedding I was very reluctant to confirm the venue to start with as previoulsy I had dealt with the previous manager and wedding planner. This was the second wedding (see earlier comments May 2009) and three other parties I had booked previously. However any worries I did have were soon dismissed and the actual day went fantastically. I cannot praise Anthony and his team enough. The food, venue and staff were all fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble to either Emma and Anthony. They helped make this a day to remember and I would not hesitate in booking another event at this hotel.

The only thing that lets this hotel down is that some of the bedrooms need refurbishing. They are very mixed in decor and standard. However the pluses are far more than this minus.

Thank you all very much for making Polly and Dave's wedding day so special.

Room Tip: Room number 35 is on the ground floor overlooking the gardens
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Julie081
MarstonFarm, General Manager at Brook Marston Farm Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Each wedding the hotel hosts is very important to us as we only get one chance to give the bride and groom that special day they deserve.

Obviously we are delighted that once again we are able to delight our customers and give Polly and Dave a memorable day.

Jan, Emma and the team work extremely hard to ensure that each wedding gets exactly what they have planned and a few nice surprises aswell.

We would welcome the chance to host another family function and look forward to welcoming you all back to Brook Marston Farm Hotel in the future

Anthony

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Minworth, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is a very lovley Hotel in the Midlands. Very competent and nice staff. I stay often at this hotel for work and even if i made some mistakes with booking, i got helped out every time. Many thanks on this place for Simon and Matt who take care about and ensuring that i have a nice stay.

Room Tip: If you are tall, use ask for big rooms. Best fish and chips @Hotel Bar.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
MarstonFarm, General Manager at Brook Marston Farm Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2012

I will pass on your thanks to Matt & Simon. The fish and chips is a very popular dish. Chefs secret is use fresh fish, homemade batter and ensure the oil in the fryer is regularly changed.

Look forward to welcoming you back to Brook Marston Farm Hotel in the future

Dorset
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed at the Brook Marston Farm Hotel with my parents on a recent leisure trip to Birmingham. We had booked two double rooms and were put next door to each other, which was great. The rooms are spacious and contained everything we needed for our 2-night stay. The hotel was quite close to the motorway but I can't say we were bothered by it; partly because it was too chilly to leave the windows open and partly because immediately outside our window was a thick, tall hedge of trees which did much to block the noise. These trees did mean the room was a little dark and required us to put the lights on, even when it was sunny outside. However, in hot weather they could prove to be a bonus by keeping the rooms cool.

The breakfast in the mornings was really good. We were attended to courteously and efficiently and were given a choice of cooked breakfasts to select from. There were plenty of cereals, juices and jams/marmalades on a self-service table in the dining room. The cooked breakfasts were beautifully done and very tasty.

The bed was comfortable and clean, as was our en-suite bathroom. Our first night was very quiet and peaceful and we enjoyed a splendid sleep. However, our second night was disturbed....I was awoken just before 4am by a loud rumbling noise coming from our en-suite bathroom. It went on for some time and even woke my husband who usually sleeps so soundly, it would take a rocket up his -- to rouse him. I went into the bathroom to see what the noise was but there was nothing to see; however it appeared to come from the vent. Unfortunately, I found it difficult to go back to sleep afterwards and was left feeling tired in the morning.

I did complain to reception when we checked-out and the hotel were very apologetic. Their suspicion was that it was a night-worker having a shower in the room above ours which unfortunately impacted on our vent. Hopefully the hotel have sorted out this situation, both with fixing the vent and by ensuring the night-workers display a little more consideration in the middle of the night.

However this would not deter me from staying here again because we really liked the hotel. The grounds are gorgeous and it was lovely to walk out of the hotel grounds to take an evening stroll on the canal towpath. The inside of the hotel is so interesting and historical too, I enjoyed looking around it and the connection with Sir Robert Peel is a terrific bonus. I would love to stay here again and very likely will on future visits to Birmingham.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fernygurny
MarstonFarm, General Manager at Brook Marston Farm Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2012

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and again apologise on behalf of the hotel for your disturbed sleep .In an effort to solve this problem we have implemented a new policy whereby any night workers or guests needing check out early will be allocated either ground floor rooms or first floor rooms above public areas to avoid disturbing our other guests as they use the bathrooms.
The grounds are looking beautiful at the moment and many of our guests are enjoying walks along the canal towpath.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Brook Marston Farm in the future.

Birmingham UK
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We had been to this hotel for a meal before and enjoyed it,so decided to have a night there, to enjoy a break. We arrived and there was a bit of a delay in room allocation? Not sure why as they did not seem busy. Anyway we did seem to be interrupting staff gossip. Got the key, very old fashioned one , should have realized this was the start of a trip back to the 70's , we went outside to get to the room in the "" new block" across the courtyard. On entering we eventually found the stairs and it reminded us of a Blackpool Guest house that had been linked.No real feel of comfort. then we were faced by the stairs and frankly , the stair carpet was a disgrace, so worn that it could have won a threadbare carpet competition easily.The room was clean and the feel was of 1970's .It did have a flatscreen TV so that was a bit of modernity.All in all a very mediocre decor and furnishings.
Next morning we went for breakfast at 0900 and were greeted ( or rather were not greeted) by a table laid for 2 adjacent to a breakfast club meeting which was noisy and we felt we were imposing, so we moved ourselves to another table.Still no staff at all and we faced the " buffet" table with ONE slice of brown bread and 2 slices of white bread, Yogurt was off as we found when we added it to the small amount of fruit lurking in the pots . After shouting at the kitchen door a staff member arrived and asked if we wanted tea.coffee and did we want something from the kitchen, inferring that they really did not want us to have anything hot.No menue as to what was provided and we were not given any description,as to what was available so we ordered sausage with poached egg and a bacon, tomato and poached egg. We waited and there was a lot of noise from the kitchen whilst the staff discussed our poached eggs in loud voices. The female staff members seemed to think that it looked gross and said so in a loud voice . |Frankly this was the most appalling part of the appalling breakfast service I have ever endured at any hotel .You will see from my other reports I always wish to be fair in my descriptions and feel so strongly that the staff at this hotel need a good shake up or maybe a change of management.Even when we came to checkout gossip was going on on prefence to dealing with customers

Room Tip: no comment
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank rdwooty
MarstonFarm, General Manager at Brook Marston Farm Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thank you for your recent feedback.

Please accept my apologies that your experience was not upto our usual standards.

I have discussed your comments with the relevant departments, reminding all staff the importance of good customer service.
I have discussed with the kitchen and restaurant teams in particularly the importance of keeping the breakfast buffet replenished and to ensure that there is a member of staff in the restaurant at all times to greet our guests.

In relation to your comments about the decor and carpets these have already been noted with the hotels directors so that they can be discussed at our next meeting.

Again please accept my apologies and should you be in need of accommodation in the Sutton Coldfield area in the future please contact me so that I can arrange a preferential rate in one of the hotels executive rooms, with a complimentary dinner for two people so that you can experience the usual high quality of food and service provided.

Please contact me personally at the hotel to arrange this booking for you.

Travelers are raving about these Sutton Coldfield hotels

Halesowen, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We were given a restaurant discovery voucher as a gift and decided to redeem it at the marston farm hotel. We booked a room at a cost of £91 so that we could make the most of the evening. The room was very nice, bog standard but served the purpose. The restaurant experience however was awful. We were under the impression we would get to sample various dishes from a menu but were told that the five courses consisted of three starters, a main and a pudding, the waitress proceeded to tell us what we would be having - soup, pâté, whitebait, braised beef and mash, lemon tart ( hardly a restaurant experience). She did say that if we did not like anything we could change it, so we asked to see the menu. There was very little choice and the dishes consisted of such things as fish and chips, chicken and mash, bread and butter pudding, chocolate fudge cake. My husband changed his whitebait to a soggy bruschetta and I changed my lemon tart to bread and butter pudding (yuk) and what appeared to be the cheapest packet custard available (i didn't eat it). The soup was served in a coffee cup, the pate was ok but came with a quarter slice of toast, the whitebait was cold, greasy and consisted of more breadcrumbs than fish (i didn't eat it) and as previously stated the bruschetta was soggy. Not much to be said about the beef and lemon tart, they were ok but hardly restaurant food ( my husband ate my beef). The service was ok but we weren't offered drinks or water, we had to ask. We weren't expecting large portions but we were expecting to try a variety of different dishes, what we were offered was very poor, particularly as the cost of the voucher was almost £50. We definitely wouldn't come here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Debra Y
Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit.

Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy your dining experience in the hotels restaurant.
I have discussed your comments with chef and waiting staff to ensure that there is not a repeat of this experience.
The voucher you refer to is meant to be a set menu with 5 different and individual taster dishes.
To ensure this is clear to any future guests a menu specifically for this has been written, with a detailed description of each course offering an alternative for vegeterians where required.

I would like to invite you back to the hotel with my compliments to try the new menu for this experience if you desire.

Please contact me personally at the hotel to arrange this booking for you.

Again please accept my apologies for the poor experience you recieved and I look forward to hearing from you to arrange your complimentary dinner reservation.

Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 18, 2012

We booked a room here for a friends surprise 50th which was being held there. As well as the party it was also a fund raising evening for cancer research and for this reason the hotel lowered their room prices but I must say their standards were not lowered. The hotel is situated at the end of a lane but not to far from the M42 making it easily reached and not far from Kingsbury Water park.

We were greeted at the reception and made to feel very comfortable from the very start. We were directed to our room which was nice and spacious with a good size en-suite. I forgot my razor and when I enquired at reception if they had one I could buy I was given a complimentary shaving kit. The evening was a huge success with the hotel contributing in no small way. The bar staff worked hard but stayed friendly and efficient throughout the night. The food was very good with plenty of it and although the evening ran over the hotel and staff did not hurry us and were very patient.

Breakfast was efficiently served with a good selection of cereal, juice etc. The whole atmosphere was relaxed and informal. Overall an a great experience.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
MarstonFarm, General Manager at Brook Marston Farm Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and positive comments about the hotel.

I know that the event raised a large amount of money for the charity, and we are just happy we were involved in this.

Once again thank you for your feedback I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I stayed for two nights in April 2012 as part of a large party who were attending a conference at the Belfry (five minutes away by car). The hotel coped extremely well with the influx of people and the staff were friendly and helpful. Our room across the courtyard was spacious and comfortable and we were served an excellent full English breakfast. The location of the hotel is delightful, being right on the canal and although the motorway is not far away one has the impression of being in the heart of the countryside.There is plenty of parking space. This is not an 'ultra-modern' hotel with lots of extra facilities, but I preferred it for that and I would be very happy to return to Marston Farm the next time I am in the area.

Room Tip: I think the rooms across the courtyard facing inwards are probably the quietest, but this is not a n...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback and positive comments about the hotel.

Perhaps on your next visit you will have time to take a walk by the canal and explore the hotel grounds

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,571 reviews
New Hall Hotel & Spa
New Hall Hotel & Spa
#2 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,157 reviews
Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield
Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfie...
#9 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Lea Marston Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Lea Marston
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,063 reviews
Premier Inn Birmingham North (Sutton Coldfield) Hotel
Premier Inn Birmingham North (Su...
#4 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield

Been to Brook Marston Farm Hotel? Share your experiences!