“magical break”

New Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed May 22, 2009

a wonderful stay in beautiful location. Great meal and service will definately return

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for New Hall Hotel & Spa

Reviewed May 10, 2009

We chose this hotel as we had to be at Birmingham airport by 7am the following day and rather than use an airport hotel we chose New Hall because we had stayed there in the past and have found the hotel to be excellent in every way
On this occasion I booked the hotel for bed and breakfast via lastminute.com paying the full booking fee.
We also booked a meal in the Bridge restaurant at the hotel which by the way was excellent and as we had to leave the hotel at 6.30am asked reception if we could arrange an early breakfast to be delivered to the room. The receptionist said this would be fine and told us to place the appropriate request form on the door of our room (number 17) which we did requesting breakfast at 6am. At the end of the evening I signed for my restaurant and bar bill then went to bed.
The following morning we woke up and waited for breakfast to be delivered, by 6.15am breakfast had not been delivered and as we were pushed for time decided to check out. We went to reception and as no one was there rang 0 on the phone as directed by the note and a man arrived, we said we wanted to check out and he went to the computer at the desk pressed a couple of keys then said he couldn’t do it but someone would be along soon.
After a few minutes another man arrived and began the checking out process as he was doing so I told him we had not received breakfast, he apologised and offered us a glass of orange juice or coffee which we declined as we did not have the time to wait.
He then worked out our final bill which amounted to £190.50. When I signed for my restaurant and bar bills I admit I did not thoroughly inspect the bill but I thought this was an unreasonable price for what we had.
I felt the man on reception was not altogether competent with checkout procedure and as I was desperately running out of time decided just to pay then contact thehotel to query my bill.
I did receive a prompt reply and a rebate of £43 for drinks I had not ordered along with an apology for not having breakfast delivered.
This is an excellent hotel with wonderful facilities and food and although the overcharge was quickly rectified I would have preferred a little more than an apology for receiving no breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Grouty
Reviewed May 9, 2009

I got married at this hotel in October, after being very disappointment that the bridal suite and members of my bridal party's rooms had been double booked and we had been booked in to standard rooms at another local hotel and informed of this two weeks before our wedding day, by voicemail! Many phone calls to hand picked head office were required to resolve the situation.

The wedding day was delightful, the weather was fantastic and the grounds looked spectacular with a mix of autumnal colours, the moat, a very impressive looking building and evergreens. The hotel service was of a high standard and the food was excellent. Staff on our wedding day were very friendly, however the wedding specialist (Elizabeth Mee) was very frost and unwelcoming throughout the organising of the day.

We spent the night of our wedding in the Princess Elizabeth suite which is a lovely big suite, lots of windows and nice views of the moat and grounds. The bathroom was a nice size but the shower was very disappointing. I was also disappointed to discover since originally viewing the hotel lovely out tv stands had be replaced with a rather out of place looking plasma tv's and the cladding around the Great Chamber’s decorative ceiling had fallen off in places and not replaced.

I have wonderful memories of my wedding day but have a slightly sour taste in my mouth about New Hall.

Lovely looking hotel, I just hope handpicked get their act together and don’t disappoint any more brides!

• Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed April 21, 2009

This is quite a special place with superb grounds and a quite spectacular building. Having stayed in many hotels over the years this has to be the quietest place I have ever been: eerily quiet to the point where the silence wakes you! The staff are attentive and pleasant and my only regret was that we could not have stayed longer and absorbed the spa and fantastic gardens that surround the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 9, 2009

To celebrate my husband's birthday I took advantage of the £129 dinner, bed and breakfast offer. We stayed at New Hall on our wedding night, August 2006 but this was only a fleeting visit and had to leave early in the morning. The hotel is the oldest inhabited moated manor house in the UK. On arrival one feels very privileged.
On booking, I spoke to a member of the reservation team who was most helpful and gave me a choice of rooms. I chose the Candida room in the old part of the hotel. A huge room with exposed beams, 40" plasma tv, antique desk, sofa and a comfortable bed. Mineral water is provided plus tea/coffee/hot chocolate. Bathrobes and slippers were in our room. As our room was an executive room, a turndown service was included. A separate cupboard housed a safe, an iron, ironing board, hairdryer and a place to hang up clothes and store luggage. The bathroom was the largest I've ever seen in my life! Lovely hot shower and bath. plenty of towels and complimentary toiletries. A trouser press was also available.
Our dinner was in the Terrace room and included a glass of champagne each and a small selection of canapes to start. The menu consisted of three courses, all of which were of a very high quality. The wine is expensive by the glass or bottle but there is good selection. Breakfast was again in the Terrace Room, and we chose a full English. Items include bacon, sausage, haggis etc or one could choose a champagne breakfast.
A lounge area offers a great place to relax with a pot of tea and a complimentary newspaper in front of an open fire. (It snowed during our stay so it was a welcome addition). Other facilities included a nine hole golf course - we couldn't see it due to snow - a spa/pool/small gym/jacuzzi/steam room. There were no Weddings whilst we were there but New Hall would be a fabulous venue. An outdoor pavilion has just been built in the grounds for such events. On the whole a great experience and a very pleasant surprise due to its close proximity to Birmingham. Just be aware your bar bill might be on the steep side!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Sneezylal
Reviewed January 11, 2009

We stayed here for my 40th Birthday ... husband booked it as a surprise! Don't be put off by the area outside the hotel as once you turn into the drive you seem to enter another world! I would recommend arriving after dark for a stunning view of it lit up.

We stayed in two rooms ... the first in the newer part of the hotel (only 20 years old) The room was tired looking but the hotel is being redecorated at present (though this did not cause any problems with workmen etc) Very comfy bed and fantastic view over the lake at the back. as it was a special birthday we asked about an upgrade - this was only £10 extra (we booked through a website from tripadvisor rather than going direct to hotel!!) and we ended up in a two roomed suite with a four poster bed in the old part of the house - well worth the move!

The staff on reception were lovely and very willing to help, even gave us a tour of the old house.

The breakfast was good and could even be had in your room and arrived promptly and hot (though we forgot to ask for toast). We had a superb meal in the evening with starters at between £4-£11 and main courses from £12- £18 but the food was good. We also had lunch in the barwith very large sandwiches and watched a group of ladies having a fantastic champagne afternoon tea!

The spa was clean and modern looking though we didn't get to use it. Nice looking pool though small.

The hotel is being renovated and this should update the tired looking rooms - but to pay £140 for a two roomed suite in a motted house was very good value for money.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jonandam
Reviewed January 4, 2009

Excellent deal on Laterroms to stay here on dinner, bed & breakfast rate. Fabulous venue from a visual & historical point of view. Ask a member of staff to show you around the rooms upstairs..really stunning. Lovely, clean & well mantained pool area with sauna & steam. Towels provided. Good food but prices looked expensive- if we had been paying for it., certainly couldn't have justified £12 for a starter. Also no bottles of wine under £25. Attention to detail was lacking unfortunately. Strong smell of cigarette smoke in our bathroom which was not on at all in this day & age, 3 bulbs needed replacing in room & generally, bathroom needed a good scrub. Also, a bit casual on the billing front. I nearly signed for an extra bottle of wine that we hadn't had. Not sure if I imagined it but I sensed friction between front of house, waiting & kitchen staff which is not what I would expect from a hotel of this calibre.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Ladywood
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#7 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to New Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!