“A short but enjoyable stay enhanced by excellent staff”

New Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
“A short but enjoyable stay enhanced by excellent staff”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We visited New Hall a few years ago, and had a good time. We booked a two night stay with an upgrade to an executive room to include 2 breakfasts, two dinners with complimentary wine.The package came in at under £300 which we thought was a good deal.
The booking confirmation letter contained all sorts of information but not the Postcode to enable me to use Satnav. We had some difficulty, in the last two miles finding the correct route; probably my fault. However that Satnav location would have been a thoughful addition to the booking letter, and would have taken some stress out of our arrival!
Sam greeted us at reception and was helpful with room selection (they were not very busy), and with local information.
Room 38 was O'k, a standard layout, spacious, but nothing particularly special. The bed was comfortable but we both found the duvet (a very good quality duvet) to be too warm and we reverted to blanket and sheet. All of the usual facilities were available in the room and we were content with our choice.

We elected to upgrade dinner to the Fine Dining lounge. Bogdan Costin was our host and he greeted us with the suggestion that we sit in the lounge and enjoy our complimentary glass of wine each. We were well looked after and enjoyed chatting to Bogran. The dinner was 'Fine' and we found the meal to be to our liking. A good bottle of wine, suggested by Bogran, enhanced the meal. Throughout the evening we had the opportunity to talk to Bogran and his Vietnamese assistant. They were both interesting people and we had a very enjoyable evening. Bogran put half of the bottle of wine aside for us for the following evenings meal.
After a broken nights sleep (the duvet) we had breakfast in The Terrace Room.

Breakfast was very good with a wide choice of options. Again we were fortunate to be served by a very pleasant lady called Helen. She helped us with a few suggestions for exploring the local area. Nothing was too much trouble for her and like her colleague from the evening before she made the experience a pleasant one for us.

Our second main meal was on the standard menu (part of the package). The food was good and the service from Lisa was faultless. Although we enjoyed The Fine Dining the evening before we thought that the £30 premium was probably not worth it. The standard meal was to a high standard as well. Again a most pleasant evening.

A better nights sleep prepared us for our departure day. Breakfast, once again, was very good and we were pleased to see Lisa and Helen both on duty.

This stay was outstandingly good because of a few members of staff who took the time and trouble to offer us great service. We enjoyed the opportunity to talk to them all, concious of the fact that they had work to do. Specifically we want to thank Sam, Bogdan, Helen , and Lisa.

Room Tip: We have stayed in The Krug, Room 16, and Albatross are great if pricey. However, it is a case of ge...
1 Thank HRH84

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Booked a SPA day with my wife to have a little relaxation, anything but.
Hotel in good condition and location and facilities fine, but Hotel management need to go back to school with regards to looking after clients. I asked to speak to duty manager about an issue, two hours later, no contact. Kept waiting 20 mins to have lunch due to ineffective internal communications between SPA and restaurant. When I asked for H.O. telephone number general manager appeared.
He asked me how he could help, when I said he could "do his job" he told me this was offensive!
In my business when I make mistakes and my customers give me the benefit of their experience of my service I listen and try to learn, but apparently clear and straight forward feedback is offensive at New Hall. I found it "quite offensive" to pay a reasonable price for a relaxing day only to received poor service...but I am only a customer at New Hall.
My advice, if you are looking for a relaxing day try elsewhere.

1 Thank Terence N
New-Hall-GM, General Manager at New Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Mr Nicholson,

Thank you for posting your feedback following your stay with us on Monday 10th March 2014.

Obviously I am disappointed to read your comments regarding our inability to meet your expectations in a number of areas, particularly following my attempts to directly address the concerns raised with me at the time. I am also aware you have subsequently formalised your feedback to my Head Office in this regard.

Please be assured as part of our commitment to continuous improvement, we actively seek, analyse and act on all feedback received from our customers, both positive and negative. To this end we use a number of mediums such as online questionnaires, social media, 3rd parties and travel organisations, to name but a few. All feedback is reviewed and where possible responded to by a senior manager with a view to reassuring our customers that we value and act on their feedback and appreciate their loyalty to both New Hall Hotel & Spa and Handpicked Hotels.

Regards, Simon
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We are already fans of Hand Picked hotels having stayed in several over the past few years so we knew what to expect from New Hall.

I had booked last minute for a relaxing night away, we arrived and checked into our room with no issues, the staff were friendly and helpful.
The spa was lovely and well equipped, clean and tidy. The grounds are beautiful and well worth exploring.

We didn't have dinner here but the breakfast the following morning was superb. I still cannot fault this chain. 5 stars.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Visited with a friend for a spa day, having read the positive reviews on Trip Advisor. Overall it was a lovely day, with friendly and attentive staff. Both of us were impressed with our treatments however they were the only relaxing parts of the spa day. There were young children in the pool and as such it was very noisy and space to sit and relax was limited. Also, getting changed to go and have lunch took away the total relaxation expected for the day.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We visited the hotel at the weekend for a wedding, so we stayed overnight which was the best idea we ever had. The room itself was gorgeous, we had a view over 2 large ponds brimming with massive carp and very funny Canadian Geese. The venue for the wedding reception was perfect, and the grounds are sublime. The breakfast was lovely (so much choice) and the comfort factor was perfect.
There is nothing really negative to say about this hotel, as it really is bang on. Ok the alcohol prices are steep at £5 a pint, but aren't all hotels the same?
We'll be back...

Room Tip: Ask for rooms 29-32, they are really on the money.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Scott-T-McDonald, Manager at New Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your review. I am really pleased that you enjoyed the wedding celebrations and your stay with us. It was great to see that you enjoyed not only the hotel and grounds but also the wildlife who do add a little something to the overall experience.
I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.
Best wishes
Scott T McDonald
Bournemouth
Reviewed February 21, 2014

If you are looking for the very best then New Hall Hotel is the place for you. It is like a piece of Heaven. I only wish I was getting married again! With its historic setting and beautiful moat. Nothing is too much trouble. The staff are very attentive. The rooms very well appointed and beautifully decorated. The food - exquisite!!!

Hand Picked Hotels are simply the best!!! A big thank you to Julia and the team at NewHall for everything.

Room Tip: I love the old part of the hotel but did't try the new part yet so I'm guessing that is pret...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Tara H
Scott-T-McDonald, Manager at New Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Tara H,
Thank you for your great review and your kind recommendation. It is wonderful to read that your wedding celebrations were so enjoyable and that the team looked after you so very well. I really hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.
Kind regards
Scott McDonald
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We arrived on Wednesday lunchtime with dark grey skies and torrential rain but our mood was lifted as soon as we entered the reception area and were met by such friendly,happy staff who had a smiles on their faces and made us feel very welcome.We had a delightful lunch in the old part of the hotel which dates back to the 15th century and the waitress was really informative about the history of building and some of its occupants.We then had a treatment in the very relaxing Spa and again the staff were very welcoming and friendly and the treatments were 1st class,the pool area and steam room were spotless and well maintained.We had the Sirius Suite which was amazing and very comfortable and made the stay feel very special.In the evening we ate in the restaurant and again the food was 1st class and again all the staff so friendly.Lastly breakfast which can sometimes be disappointing was a buffet and menu and again food and service were great ,the sun even came out !,so all in all a wonderful stay and thanks again to staff for really brightening up a grey miserable week and look forward to staying again in the future.

Room Tip: We liked the old part of hotel and chose the Sirius room which seemed to be the staffs favorite to.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TrickyRich666
Dear TrickyRich666,
Thank you for your fantastic review following your recent stay at New Hall and Spa. I will be sharing your kind comments with the team. The Sirius suite is one of my own personal favourites and I was glad to see that you enjoyed it. The history of the hotel is something that we are all proud of and enjoy sharing with our guests.
On behalf of the team, I look forward to welcoming you back to New Hall again in the near future.
Kind Regards
Scott T McDonald
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
The Belfry
The Belfry
#1 of 1 in Wishaw
Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield
Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfie...
#9 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield

Been to New Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!