“Not just awful - disgraceful.”

New Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed September 15, 2013

A party of us went for afternoon tea and we were intially surprised to find we were the only ones there on a Saturday. We soon discovered however why no one else had bothered to pay around £30 a head for what I can only describe as an appalling effort at afternoon tea.

Both sandwiches and cakes were of minimal quality and poorly presented. Although we did not want for food - we did want for good food.

I was really really disapointed as we had expected a lovely family afternoon and the whole experience was a bit embarassing. It was such a let down that I will be wary of any afternoon tea thanks to the New Hall Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank 101Lucy
New-Hall-GM, General Manager at New Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear LucyP,

Thank you for posting your feedback about your recent experience at New Hall Hotel & Spa; I must however confess to being totally surprised and somewhat perplexed over your comments regarding your afternoon tea experience.

It goes without saying that we are always disappointed when a customer leaves us less than thoroughly delighted with either the food or service. So far as I am aware, we were not alerted to any problems during your visit and therefore not given an opportunity to address the alleged issues at the time. Having reviewed your comments with the staff members on shift over the last two Saturdays, I am assured that every party booked received the appropriate “courtesy checks” during their afternoon tea experience with us (as is standard practice).

New Hall is a fantastic and popular location for enjoying afternoon tea, boasting a number of intimate private rooms, a traditional lounge area and beautiful outdoor patio, all of which can and are used regularly for this very purpose. Accordingly we serve in the region of 250 - 300 afternoon teas per month and having reviewed our Saturday bookings over the last 6 weeks I can assure you that your claim that there were no other afternoon tea diners here is totally unfounded.

In respect to the cost, our classic afternoon tea is priced at £20 per person so I can only assume that you opted for our Champagne afternoon tea priced at £29.50. Please refer to the various options offered and pricing structure as outlined on our website:

Elevenses (Savoury Afternoon Tea)
• £18.50 per person
• £26.50 with Champagne

Traditional Cream Tea @ £7.25 per person
• Freshly baked warm scones, with preserves and clotted cream
• Your choice from our extensive range of leaf teas and infusions from Twinning's

Classic Afternoon Tea @ £20 per person
• Freshly prepared finger sandwiches including cucumber and smoked salmon
• Freshly baked warm scones, with preserves and clotted cream
• Selection of homemade mini desserts and cakes
• Our afternoon tea menu is all home-made
• All of the above is served with your choice from our extensive range of leaf teas and infusions from Twinning's

Royal Afternoon Tea @ £29.50 per person
All of the treats included in the Classic Afternoon Tea with a glass of Champagne

We are very proud of the quality and selection of our afternoon tea and for this reason I am truly sorry your experience did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

Regards, Simon

There are newer reviews for New Hall Hotel & Spa

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I stayed at New Hall with my wife for one night in March this year.

From the main road there is a lovely private drive down to the hotel which is surrounded by trees. This creates a wonderful setting for when you arrive at the hotel. The building itself is very old (I believe 800 years old), but very beautiful retaining its original characteristics and features. The hotel actually looks like a small castle. To further enhance this beautiful environment the hotel is surrounded by a moat. Due to adverse weather when we visited the hotel, all grounds were covered in 4 inches of snow, which made the setting look even more perfect.

Inside the hotel, again many of its original features were retained which made you feel as if you were going back in time, however in my opinion some places in the hotel seemed a little dated and in need of refurbishing to bring the rooms back to its original beauty and elegance – in fairness I was a little disappointed after seeing the outside. My wife on the other hand loved the place, and thought it relayed its beauty through its imperfections and originality.
We had booked ourselves into a deluxe suite room. Our room was called the Dawn suite which sat at the front of the building. The room was spacious and clean, and again retained many of its original features. We loved the original fireplace. Our room came with a beautifully detailed four poster bed which was very comfortable to sleep in. The room was furnished with antique furniture which look very beautiful and full of character but lacked practicality.

The hotel had its own spa which came with a gym, swimming pool, Jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. The facilities were good but again a little dated to what I am used to. However I will say that it did the job.

We had afternoon tea which was very delicious in one of their restaurants (I think they have 2 in total). We later had diner in the same room which was a 7 course meal. Even the though the food was absolutely stunning, I was a little disappointed that diner was served in the same room as the afternoon tea. However the ambience and lighting in the restaurant during the evening was quite romantic.

Breakfast the next day was great with plenty of choice and everything we ate seemed fresh. The staff were polite and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2013

The hotel is steeped in history and is a magnificent imposing building set in impressive grounds. We had meals in the lounge, terrace and fine dining in the Bridge restaurant. All good, but the fine dining was a real treat for the palate.

The staff understand how to treat guests with a personal touch that made us feel so welcome and as though our visit was important to them too.

Well worth a visit. We will be back and recommend this hotel to all our friends

Room Tip: All different. Depends on what you are seeking. We stayed in courtyard rooms on both our trips and t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2013

For the first time visited New Hall for family Sunday lunch. The hotel do not seem to advertise that they are a Sunday lunch venue which is such a shame as the food was excellent. It was served in the Terrace Room which opens out on to the gardens which are beautiful The staff are very good and friendly too especially Lisa MacManus who was brilliant with our granddaughters giving them activity packs which were a great hit. I believe Lisa was new at the hotel but she is a great asset and shows real enthusiasm with her on board the hotel could really go places. The menu for Sunday lunch is not massive but has sufficient choices for everyone. The taste of the food and its presentation is superb and piping hot too, which is always a bonus for slow eaters. However this quality does come at a price and £30 each for a three course lunch plus extra for tea and coffee is rather expensive compared to many other venues in and around an area of a radius of approximately 15 miles, the wine and drinks are very expensive too. Ideally if the hotel could maintain the quality at a slightly lower price it would be ideal and then I am sure it would be difficult to get booked in for Sunday Lunch. My only negative observation of this wonderful old building is that the reception and corridors leading to the restaurant as well as the ladies cloakroom could do with refurbishing or at least a very good clean. The door to the ladies cloakroom was filthy as was the carpet and also the carpet in the corridors. I appreciate it is a very old building but it does need a good spruce up. As we did not stay at the hotel I cannot comment on the rooms but I am sure they are very good. I would certainly recommend the restaurant and especially if Lisa is going to take on board what people say and how it compares to other venues. She is such a pleasant polite and warm person and having been looked after her on a first visit she would be the person who would make my family and I want to return. I also think she is the type of helpful and accommodating person who could get the best out of all the staff. well done Lisa and many thanks you made my birthday so special.x

Room Tip: Everything is good but take a big wallet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Throstles
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I stayed here for a business meeting, dinner with colleagues and overnight stay. Firstly, I was greeted by a very professional receptionist and made to feel very welcome. He knew that I was part of a business meeting and swiftly directed me to our private room for the day. The room, whilst slightly cramped for 8 of us, was well laid out and equipped with all the essentials - computer access, coffee, bacon rolls, flipchart, etc. We all had a nice, if very intensive, day. Lunch was served in the dining room adjoining the bar and was a small buffet consisting of sandwiches, rolls, salmon, new potatoes, coleslaw, salads, etc, etc. The food was of a high standard. With the working day over, some colleagues went for a swim whislt the rest of us retired to our rooms for a shower and some chill-out time prior to dinner. the rooms were of a good standard but my room (46) had a slightly cramped bathroom - only a slight problem so nothing major to worry about.

We had dinner in our private room and, again, the food was of a high standard (a nice touch was being able to choose on the night rather than having to pre-order as required by many hotels). Nice wine list (we chose several bottles of the Spy Valley Sauvignon Blanc).The bar also had Tanqueray 10 gin, a particular favourite of mine - well done New Hall.

Overnight stay was very pleasant and I slept soundly in a very comfortable bed (somnething to do with the Spy Valley maybe!). Breakfast was also good.

The hotel has lovely, manicured, grounds, well kept and a lovely setting with the moat surrounding the hotel. Would stay here again easily.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank johnwiltshire
Reviewed September 4, 2013

New Hall is one of those hotels that has been held in high regard for decades and I'd often thought of staying there. I'm really glad I actually made the effort and booked as it's a truly amazing setting.

Every member of staff we came into contact with was helpful, polite and professional. The highlight of our stopover was dinner in the Bridge Restaurant and some very fine dining it was. Really great dishes in the contemporary style that were truly delicious and service to match the fine surroundings. This was an experience not to be missed and is highly recommended.

Needless to say, we left with fond memories and will return again soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2013

The Hotel was superb in every way, the minute you drive up to the Hotel it looks impressive. The receptionist was very friendly and obviously good at her job. We upgraded to a suite, we was in the Clarrisa room, couldnt of asked for more, there was a card and choccys from the hotel for my birthday (nice touch).The first day we were booked in the spa for treatments, the hubby also, (one for me one for you ) The girl at reception was great put us at ease, we had a swim and a steam, sauna, then we had the treatments, must mention Charlotte she was so professional, so was the other members of staff but she stood out. Theyve got a good team there who obviously love their jobs. All the staff in spa and hotel were superb, the restaurant was lovely, drinks outside on the terrace, the food was some of the best we d ever had, the only downside was that on the second evening the menu was the same, we thought it would be alternated, for those who was having a few night there, no complaints though the food was excellent, the lady who was in charge was very good (cant remember her name).Thanks to all involved in our stay it was one of the best ever birthday treats. will be visiting again hopefully in the not to distant future, Excellent

Room Tip: Can only praise the clarrisa suite, it was at the front but we werent disturbed at all and the bed w...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Ladywood
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#7 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to New Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!