“Average night out”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Montgomery, United Kingdom
“Average night out”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This restaurant has gone down hill over the past few years. It's ok for a night when you don't want a curry and can't be bothered to cook. However, service slow and haphazard, drinks late in arriving often short of at least one order and not very child friendly.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank coffeegrinder

Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“if you like steak......”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

food was beautiful, steaks cooked to perfection although a little pricey you can get offers. there is a lovely open fire and the service is friendly

Visited June 2012
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Slippery slope”
Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

This place used to be amazing.

Unfortunately we are now in 2013 and the place is very different. It set the benchmark very high and to be honest I don't think it can cope.

Not particularly inspired by the starters I went straight into my T-bone. Nice cooked well and tasty sauce.

Drinks were an issue my wife had a flat rosé spritzer which cost £6. I had a pint of Amstel which was 'off'.

The desserts were uninspired and quite heavy considering such a large meal. They could possibly benefit from a few sundaes on the menu. Anyway my wife had an Eton Mess with no grumble. I had a bread and butter pudding (my favourite dessert) however the custard was stone cold -possibly due to the poor type of plating (too shallow) the bread and butter pudding was far from moist...it was soaking wet and drowning in a pool of water. I asked for a new one and it was worse. I settled for ice cream.

Top marks to Gayle who tried her utmost but was let down by the bar staff and te kitchen staff.

Go again? Possibly.

1 Thank Hood_UK
Pune, India
“Nearly there!”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I had booked a table for a saturday night via the website 8 days in advance, and called at 4pm on the day to confirm. When we arrived it was a great atmosphere - very very busy but was the weekend before Valentines. Went to the front of house desk and as we approached another customer came up and gave his 'queue buzzer' back and said he had been waiting to long. The desk waiter apologised as the customer was walking away. We told them the booking name and was told we had no booking - explained I had called to which the response was 'we havn't been answering the phones since 2pm (which is a bit of a strange thing for a restaurant to admit too' so I got my phone out and showed him the call log. They explained that they were exceptionally busy and that the wait was about an hour and a half (!) but that we would be a top priority. Ordered a drink and stood in the bar worried - 15 minutes later we were buzzed and taken to a lovely table. Waiting staff were friendly, polite and informative, and were not obtrusive. Food order was taken quickly, Food was good (not great), glorified gastro pub/steakhouse and prehaps a tiny bit overpriced for the standard. 3 courses each, plus a pre dinner drink each, a bottle of prosecco, a bottle of red, and a liquor coffee (for 2 people) came to just over £100 which I think was fairly good value for what we got. Service bumped up my score - if it was just on food it would probably have been a 3. Would I recommend going.....? Yes, although personally now I;ve been I would probably opt to try somewhere else first before returning.

• Visited February 2013
Norfolk, United Kingdom
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We went for Saturday lunch. We had asked several days in advance for a window seat and were told that would be fine but on arriving we were told that we couldn't have a window seat so that was a disappointment. The starters were good - scallops with black pudding and smoked salmon. The buffalo wings were good as was the grilled chicken. However, the guinea fowl special whilst tasty was returned to the kitchen as it arrived at the table tepid on cold plates. All the plates were cold. Stephen, our waiter, was attententive -I don't the slow service was not his fault although he did seem to have quite a few tables to serve. Perhaps they need more waiting staff. The ice maker and coffee machines were both out of order. All in all, a mixed experience and they should do better. The friends/family we were with have been before during the week when the experience was better but I'm not sure that I would return.

• Visited February 2013