“Nice Place”
Review of Farmers Arms at Combe Florey - CLOSED

Farmers Arms at Combe Florey
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Lymington, United Kingdom
“Nice Place”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stopped here for lunch on our way to Devon. A very interesting old place. Not a great deal of atmosphere, but the staff were all very friendly and efficient; the beer was very good, and we had a lovely meal. I wouldn't hesitate to return if we were in the area again.

• Visited May 2013

Bromley, United Kingdom
“Lovely pub”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

This is a lovely pub with great atmosphere and very good food.

We visited once for dinner and several weeks later went back and the landlady remembered our previous visit better than we did - that is the sign of a proper pub!

I can't remember the exact food but it was very good on both occasions. Lovely in summer and winter.

Visited September 2012
Taunton
“The perfect Country pub!”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I adore this pub! It couldn't be more perfect. Cosy, comfortable, charming interior, fabulous log fire in the Autumn/Winter, delightful garden in the Spring/Summer. Great selection of beers and wines and honest, comforting food. The Farmers isn't a fine dining restaurant, and it doesn't claim to be - it certainly doesn't charge fine dining prices either. Those that criticise the food should remind themselves of that. What The Farmers is, is the perfect Country pub - and I for one, love it.

• Visited April 2013
Watchet, Somerset
“Very popular place to eat”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Good fresh food, warm welcome, nice atmosphere. It's a regular call for us. It's wise to pre-book. Varied menu and quite a few choices on the Specials Board.

Visited April 2013
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Embarrassing.”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I'm so disappointed by tonight's meal but as I championed the visit over other venues (meagre as they are in Taunton) I'm now embarrassed too.
We, family of four, arrived at 8pm without prior booking and were asked if we'd like to wait for a table, we agreed and after a short 20 minutes a table was pointed out to us. We carried our drinks and menus to the half set up booth and settled down. After 30 minutes the waitress came over, apologized for the wait and promised attention as soon as possible. After a further 10 minuted of staff passing us with eye averted, I beckoned one over and asked if we could at least order some drinks. Again apologizing she said the chef was under pressure but she'd take the food order too. If there are 40 covers in the restaurant I'd be surprised. We ordered starters: two prawn cocktails and two pate. Mains: venison tsteak, rump steak, beef wellington and my youngest (12) had another starter as she has a tiny appetite, deep fried Brie. Incidentally, she was given a child's menu when her brother (14) was given an adult menu, presumptuous much?! She asked me why she had the breakfast menu as it consisted of mostly fried fayre like sausages, eggs and hash browns. My children eat what we eat, smaller portions yes, but 'kids menus' are just downright lazy.
Sometimes it's the details of a place the stand out the most and have the effect of defining the evening. The oversized square vase with a hitch pitch of daffodils hanging almost horizontally from it, some scorched from the tea light candle, limp and looking very sad epitomized the whole experience. Thoughtles and a bit lazy. It's such a shame because the place has such potential, the ambience is spot on, the surroundings are cosy and welcoming, our waitress was trying her best but unlike a well lied maching, it's clunky and ill-fitting. Plastic topped canteen condiments, 2 half pint glasses up-turned on the table (why??? And why only 2 on a 4 seat table anyway?!), an awful silver plastic sleeve wine cooler (what's wrong with an ice bucket?) but then beautifully pressed linin table wear! It just doesn't make sense.
The starters arrived. A small irritation, the boys were served first, again, little details. The bucket of pâté was bland, lacking in seasoning and flavour and the accompanying single slice of bread, toasted shop sliced brown. The prawn cocktail, a classic I indulge in when I see it because it's so simple it's almost impossible to get wrong, was not right. No crisp iceberg lettuce but some broad bitter red leaves that clashed with the delicate prawns with were totally lost accompanied by the same shop bought bread which I gave up to the pate eaters as they'd run out.
Half an hour later and the mains arrived. The rump steak, asked for rare, was medium well done but tasty. To be fair, it's hard to cook a stark that's 1/4 inch thick rare. The venison, a good inch thick, again asked for rare was cooked very well, the Brie, was, well, deep fried, what could go wrong bar the fact it didn't seem homemade, and my beef Wellington, asked for rare, was so dry I couldn't eat it. I usually eat my stark blue so asked when ordering if I could have it as rare as possible. I called the waitress over explaining that the meat was overlooked and tough. She took the plate to the kitchen and returned to tell me the chef said if I didn't mind soggy pastry, I could have the meat rarer! If you cannot cook a dish, don't put it on the menu, in my opinion. I requested a sirloin instead and whilst I waited the other finished their food and sides whilst I picked on the bowl of bought in chips so that by the time the steak arrived I was full anyway.
Now, I don't mind eating food that's not perfect, I don't even mind eating Brake Brothers style food but I do mind paying through the nose for the privilege. £112 to be precise.
I'll go to Augustus, have 5 star quality food and 5 star quality service and pay the same next time thanks.

• Visited April 2013
patvincent, Owner at Farmers Arms at Combe Florey, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our establishment. All comments have been digested and discussed within our family run pub. There are a quite a few points which we believe to be either entirely untrue or exaggerated immensely. We could list the corrections but feel it would be wasting our time as on the evening in question when nothing we did or said would satisfy you or your fellow reviewer (see below). We just hope that anyone reading your reviews will see that you weren’t out for a lovely family dining experience but to destroy yet another local pubs reputation.