“Great first trip”

Cedar Falls Health Farm
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This is the first time that I have visited Cedar Falls and have to say I really enjoyed the experience, the staff were friendly and very helpful, the food was absolutely amazing and I got the well earned rest that I needed. I'd say that the accommodation needs an overhaul, our room was pretty tiny but we weren't that bothered as we didn't spend a great deal of time in it but the shower was very small and either boiling hot or lukewarm. The walls to next door were very thin as well so you could hear conversations and coughs, when I return I would probably look to book a deluxe room. The general standard of cleanliness was good although one of the air fresheners in one of the toilets had dust all over the top of it and there was a large damp patch on the blue carpet on the right hand corner of the conservatory which was a bit unsightly. My first bathrobe smelt a little damp/of cooking oil and had a hole in the sleeve so it was returned and I got a fresher robe. The gym equipment is sufficient if you just want to have a small workout, after all I had gone there to relax so wasn't that fussed but if you are a massive gym addict there may not be enough there for you. The treatments I had were lovely and the beauty therapists were very friendly and helpful. Waiting staff were very curteous and professional. I would definitely return here again but do feel that the place could do with a good deep clean and polish up, most certainly the rooms.

1  Thank newlywedPortsmouth

Reviewed April 20, 2013

This is at least the tenth time I have been to Cedar Falls, and taking advantage of an offer this time a friend came with me who had never been before.

It is a wonderful place and we had an excellent time. The treatments as always were fantastic and all the treatment staff are really friendly and remember you if you are a frequent visitor.

The food in the restaurant was excellent and the chef was certainly excelling when we were there. The chocolate brownie and home-made honeycomb left us speechless! The choice I felt is enough at dinner and I do know that they will come up with an alternative if needed. Lunch has changed over the times I have been visiting but again it was fresh, well cooked and enough of a choice. Same can be said about Breakfast, cereals, fresh fruit, toast and eggs all available with lots of coffee and tea. And if you can fit more in, then try the cakes in an afternoon with tea - I did and they were yummy.

Our room was compact, but then we were only in it for sleeping. If you intended to spend a lot of time in your room, then go for something larger. Observations about the room - the shower would have been no good if you were taller than me (5'4") and it had two temperatures - scalding hot and lukewarm. The window did rattle and my friend and I wedged some paper in it one night. It was also very hot in there.

The spa/pool area was good. There were plenty of beds for us to relax on and we were in and out of the pool, the steam room, sauna, whenever we wanted.

The new Oasis of Tranquillity was lovely, and I loved the room where the Dry Float was. It was definitely peaceful.

Having been lots of times, I can see the changes over the years - some are good, some understandable, others questionable? I was disappointed that being a frequent guest that this was not recognised. The furniture in the drawing room could do with a bit of a spruce up and deep clean. The removal of the jugs of water at lunch and dinner was rather cumbersome. We were forever asking the waiting staff for a top up - sending them backwards and forwards at least 3 times on top of them serving our food. Please go back to jugs of water!! And also free tea or coffee after dinner as well would be welcomed back. I recognise that this does not make money, but it is the smaller touches that people remember! These are all minor things and would certainly not stop me returning, hopefully again this year.

3  Thank Jo-Bookworm
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is my 2nd trip to Cedar Falls this year already and yet again another wonderful 4 day break with my mum and sisters.
Everything was very relaxing from the moment we arrived. Nothing was too much trouble for the restaurant staff whom accomodated my sister when she wasn't keen on any of the starters to rustling up my favourite sticky toffee pudding.
The staff were all very efficient even when very busy at all times and the food was upto it's great standard with Mayla and Ramsey in the kitchen.
We all had varied beauty treatments which were all of a high standard, very relaxing and proffesional.
As for the rooms we had already stated which ones were our favourites on booking so were very happy.
Can't wait to come back again.

Room Tip: Pick your room before you go to ensure that you get your bath/shower and also whether you want to be...
1  Thank cakebakerDevon
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Just got back from cedar falls with my daughter, been here about 4/5 times before, we had a lovely stay but a couple of times we have stayed here we have been woken early morning with a delivery around 6am which is not good when you have come for a break away, rather loud outside the window or it was a dust bin truck. Another couple of things is main pool is to cold, good for aqua session's to cool down in, also in your bedroom room it would be nice to have a couple of bottles of water for during the night if you get thirsty or to have with medication. Otherwise overall I would recommend the health farm to people and the food is very good and cedar falls is in such a beautiful location.(a couple of treatments a little pricey aswell!)

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have been to Cedar Falls nearly a dozen times over several years and always had an AMAZING time.. until last week.
There was a special offer on for £99 for a room twin/double, making it only £50 per person so i booked for myself and a friend. A few days before we were due to go I had a flare up of a medical condition which makes me wheeze. not wanting to disturb my friend by sharing a room I contacted the hotel to see if i could pay a supplement and change the booking to 2 single rooms. i was told i couldnt but if i wanted 2 rooms i would have to pay £99 per room. When we arrived we had 2 VERY small single rooms over the (very noisy) kitchen area at the back of the hotel. The rooms were tired. the curtain pullers didnt work and the curtains didnt close in my room. in my friends room the heating didnt work. She should have been able to have 2 decent twin/double rooms at this price and there should have been some concession for the smaller rooms. There is now a charge for EVERYTHING. We had to pay extra for the robes, which always used to be free. We had to pay for all afternoon tea which used to be free. There used to be nice tea coffee, biscuits and treats in the rooms - now only limited tea and coffee. The reception staff were uninterested and unhelpful (particularly the young man - another guest asked some questions and he said he didnt know as he had only been here a year - plenty of time to know EVERYTHING about the business and facilities i would have thought). The food and restaurant staff were AMAZING as they always have been. The treatments and spa staff were also excellent. some of the upstairs treatment rooms were still having building works ongoing and were a little below standard.
All in all - not as good as I expected and not as good as it has been. needs some TLC, some marketing and some money spent on the property and on staff training.

Room Tip: Ask not to have rooms over the kitchens - noisy with staff working all afternoon, and deliveries ear...
8  Thank c_robins2
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have recently returned from a short break at this Spa Hotel, and first of all have to say that we ( I was with my sister) had a lovely, relaxing time. The Spa itself is great; treatments wonderful; the staff are lovely; service good; and food delicious if a little restricted in choice (of which more later). However, the decor and standard of bedroom accommodation was shocking. On entry, everything is as it should be, large elegant hall with open fire (actually gas, as were all the others, but looked and felt very warming); sweeping staircase; large, elegant drawing room and beautiful, old-world dining room. Slight alarm bells rang within 5 minutes however, when we were being shown around and before I had even left the hall, I felt water on my face! Looking up we saw water dripping through the ceiling and it was obvious from the size and colour of the stain (and by the not-particularly surprised reaction of the lady showing us around) that this was not exactly a new occurrence. We read a folder in the drawing room that tells how the house was bought and renovated in the 1980's, for which it won awards. Unfortunately, it would appear that the majority of the house has not been re-decorated since! Once at the top of the staircase, the decor changes from faded country house, to classic 1980's wallpaper and borders, and some of the lampshades have to be seen to be believed. I have not seen the like for over 40 years. However, our bedrooms were even more of a disappointment. Admittedly we had two singles, and booked quite last minute, so were expecting them to be on the small side and we knew they were not the "superior" rooms. Well, mine was like a corridor, long and thin. So thin, that there was no room for a bedside table next to my single bed and I had to put my alarm/etc on the floor. My shower-room was smaller still, (in fact it was the same width as the bed!) The wash-basin was so narrow that there wasn't even room to put a bar of soap on it (and no soap-dish provided anywhere else) so I had to tuck it behind the taps when not in use! Luckily there was a wide window sill, so that there was at least somewhere to put toilet bag etc. as floor space was at a minimum. Also no heating in the bathroom at all. Other people have commented on the temperature, and I know we have been having a particularly long/cold spell, and this hotel is up high and quite exposed. My sash windows were not as bad as some and as long as I kept them shut, they didn't rattle too badly, but had to keep the heater in my bedroom on all day and leave the bathroom door open so that any heat might spread to there, but couldn't do that at night as I would have suffocated, especially as I couldn't open the window in case of rattling. So had to wake to a cold bedroom in the morning and a bathroom like an ice-box, Particularly when emerging from the (tiny) shower cubicle - it was like walking into a cold-store. The decor in general in my (and my sister's room) was old, tatty and grubby. The "art-work" on the walls, must also have been there for at least 30 years. Bits of completely faded dried flowers in a frame and pictures that had faded so much they had no colour left at all. I realise that were in possibly (I hope!) the smallest and cheapest bedrooms, but the standard was less than I would expect in a cheap guest house these days, and the prices definitely weren't! I would suggest that perhaps a couple of the management staff take a short break at any of the Champneys Health Spas, in particular Tring, which has the same sort of Country House ambience, and see for themselves, the standard of accommodation people expect these days. It is a shame that this lets everything else down, when staff/service and spa experience are all lovely. (Although a bit of updating in the spa itself wouldn't go amiss also - in particular the changing room where the walls in the toilet were dirty, and I agree with a previous report, that blue "carpet" is a strange (and not particularly hygenic) thing to have around the pool area). We also felt that although the food was lovely and the dining room itself and service were excellent (so nice to have proper "silver service" and not always the buffet style meals), the range was a bit limited. Especially at lunch, where if you didn't like soup you were a bit out of luck. If I had booked for a spa day with lunch (as lots of people seemed to have) I would be a bit peeved to be offered only one starter, two mains (meat or veggie, basically) and a fruit salad for dessert. And I have to say the fruit salad, which was the only dessert on the menu for lunch every day, was very uninspired, consisting mainly of apple! This seemed a strange decision as the chef was obviously talented and imaginative on the whole and the desserts on the evening menu were lovely. Please, Cedar Falls, take note of people's comments, because unless you do, I feel that you will not be getting a lot of repeat business. We certainly are unlikely to return unless the room standard has been improved considerably.

Room Tip: Pay for the most expensive if you can, although I expect they are probably also stuck in a decor ti...
3  Thank vianneM
Reviewed April 12, 2013

If you arrive expecting what you read in the brochure, prepare to be disappointed. I was given a voucher for my birthday and my husband and I have just spent the night there in what they called a 'superior' room. If that was superior, I dread to think what the cheaper rooms are like. The only good thing was the bed which was comfortable and large. The ensuite was the size of a cupboard with a plastic shower cubicle, no bath and a dated basin unit and a carpeted floor. The bed had no headboard. The room was stuffy and there was a pervading smell which meant we had to keep the window open. There is no central heating, just storage heaters. The food was dreadful. They use 'healthy option' lingo to justify badly cooked pre prepared dishes. The facilities, including the 9 hole golf course were reminiscent of the school it used to be. Serious golfer s need not apply! The staff were friendly on the plus side but I shall not be returning

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple