“Marvellous Accommodation”
Review of Octon Lodge

Octon Lodge
Ranked #17 of 54 Taunton B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 4, 2009

Just returned from a business/ leisure weekend, and felt I had to compliment this establishment for a delightful 3 day stay. Accommodation, food, and friendliness was superb, and both my wife and I hope to return very soon.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Octon Lodge

Reviewed February 11, 2009

tried for over 3 hours on the phone to book a room. Lisa said she would call back in half hour as diary was not available. No call received. Phoned back , still busy and unable to confirm room. Was not bothered if we booked or not. Eventually i got a call back to say room was fully booked. 3 hours wasted and attitude very poor. Rooms might be good but why waste time when other comanys will at least return calls promptly. Very bad experience all round.

Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank tombanellie
twilight200, owner at Octon Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2009

This gentleman has not stayed or seen Octon Lodge.
We would advise that this comment is based entirely on a telephone query, during a very busy period where we were dealing with an ill customer, at all times we were polite and explained that we were exceptionally busy and assurred the gentleman that we would come back with availability when we were able. From the first converstion to the last, where we unfortuneately had to advise that we were full and the gentleman threatened to blacken our name on TripAdvisor, the time ellapsed was approximately 50minutes. This comment has nothing to do with the high level of service and accommdation we provide and pride ourselves on ,aswell as value for money.
At no point in the converstion did we say that he should go elsewhhere this is something that the gentleman suggested, we only advise that if he wished to that was his decision but we would be returning his phone call with availability as soon as we could.
We hope that potential guests will review this comment with what it actually deserves and maybe look at some of our reviews from actual guests.

Reviewed December 16, 2008

I've spent some time working in Taunton and have stayed in various Travelodge's and Premier Inns. I got fed up of the poor quality rooms and poor service so decided to branch out and look for something else.

I found Octon Lodge on Late Rooms.com and saw it was £49 per room per night for a single room, so I thought I'd give it a try. Checked out the website and it looked too good to be true.

When I got there I couldn't believe my eyes. This place is amazing. I was immediately upgraded to a four poster room. The rooms were huge and incredibly well appointed. Four poster bed, Flagstone floors, original inglenook fireplaces, wooden beams, extremely modern and clean en-suite bathroom, tea and coffee in the room, right next to a huge 3 seater sofa in front of the fire and television. The room was absolutely beautiful. I couldn't believe what I'd been missing all this time.

To top it all I had probably the best customer service I've ever experienced. The owner Lisa couldn't do enough for me and she was awesome.

Don't let the £49 a night fool you. This place is worth £149 a night. I've spent that kind of money and got nowhere near the level of quality and service I've received here.

If you are ever in Taunton, do yourselves a favour, stay at Octon Lodge. You'll never stay anywhere else in Taunton again

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2008

I needed a room in Taunton for one night, so booked the Octon Lodge through laterooms - got an excellent rate.
I'd checked out the website and it looked quirky, so i wasn't diappointed when i turned up.
I was met by Lisa and it turned out they'd put me in a suite !
Bed was extremely comfortable, sofa very comfortable, heating was on so it was nice and warm.
Breakfast was cereals or toast, but for extra cost you could have a full english (I wasn't too hungry, but one chap had a full english and it looked excellent).
I would highly recommend this B&B and will happily stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 22, 2008

We stayed here whilst at the cricket festival at Kings School, it was a great find. (left out of the school, no more than a mile down the road and on the right! - it could be walked on a pleasant day,) We had to move from another hotel after 1 night and managed to get a cancellation. (I had try to book previously and there was no availability) We were put in a 2 bedroom garden apartment which was comfortably furnished, with a sofa and TV area, a comfortable double bed, a kitchen and a fabulous bathroom (pictured on the website). Breakfast was either an ample selection of cerals, yoghurts, toast and jams or for an extra charge, full english or eggs to your liking. There was good space for parking. The owner Geoff was very helpful in recommending local places to eat, our favourite would be the Greyhound Inn at Staple Fitzpaine.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 3, 2008

Booked this through Late Rooms both times we stayed.

First time we were given an apartment, 2 double bedrooms, small sofa are, fully equiped kitchen and the most enormous bathroom.

Bed was comfy, water was hot, towels fluffy and room was clean, the owner was very helpful and had plenty of local knowledge.

2nd visit
we were given a large dark but lovely four poster room, with a much smaller bathroom.

Breakfast is aa self help affair, with loads of choice, cereals, yoghurts, toast with lots of lovely locally made jams, pots of tea or coffee provided to. Cooked breakfast is available at an extra cost.

All in all I would not hesitate to go back again or recommend this for anyone to stay, singles, couples or families.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2008

As a family of 5 it is often difficult to find decent hotel accomodation in one room, we often have to book two seperate rooms. At Octon lodge we were accomodated in a 2 bedroom apartment with a small lounge space a small kitchen and a superb large bathroom. At £95 per night it was good value (less than £20 per night per head).
The apartment was clean and warm and although not exactly spacious with 5 inside it wasn't overly cramped either. The small kitchen was equiped with a fridge, microwave, sink etc and was very handy. Some small details let it down, loose tap in the bathroon and one of the bedside lights not working.
The owners are very frendly and accomodating although breakfast times were a little bit too early for us 7.30 to 8.30 weekdays - we missed one day entirely.
No food is served on site in the eves but we were directed to a local family friendly pub about a mile and a half away - the Half Moon Inn at Stoke St Mary, a really good independent pub, nice atmosphere and good food - if you're in the area, try it.
Overall, we liked Octon Lodge and would certainly return again if staying in the same area in the future.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family