“Super Value B&B just outside Taunton”
Review of Octon Lodge

Octon Lodge
Ranked #18 of 55 Taunton B&B and Inns
London
“Super Value B&B just outside Taunton”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I have stayed here 3 times in preference for the alternative Premier, Days and Holiday Inns. Always cheaper, miles better, clean and spacious, run by a charming family who will cook and serve you a proper breakfast that will set you up for the day

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We booked a room to stay here with our 2 children and less than 24 hours before we were due to arrive we received a call to say they didn't have a room afterall despite their website showing otherwise. We weren't offered an alternative, just telephone numbers to call to see if we could book elsewhere and the attitude of the owner, Lisa, was disgusting, couldn't care less. Book at your peril!

Room Tip: Avoid, you probably won't get to stay there anyway.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Caroline T
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Stayed for one night on the way to Devon. We were welcomed by the hosts who were friendly and warm. The room was lovely and while big, maintained a cosy warm feel. Most importantly to us the matress was of a good quality and the pillows to match, equally the bedding was of a very high standard. Breakfast the next day was super and nothing was too much trouble, nice choice of cooked and cereals. Lovely people and a nice location, hope to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Newport South wales
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I stayed for three nights on 3rd 4th and 5th of January. I slept really well. My stay was fo business rather than pleasure but I would be equally happy to stay there for pleasure. My room was spotlessly clean. The welcome I received was warm and friendly. The hospitality was pleasant with Geoff showing a genuine interest and attentivness towards his guests during breakfast. I would definately reccomend this accommodation to other business people, or indeed couples wanting a romantic retreat!

Thanks to the proprietors I had a lovely stay!

Room Tip: Exactly as described in thier brochure. Photo's are also accurate!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2012

We booked late for the foru poster room with separate sitting area. Lovely room, exposed beams, warm colors, great bed, warm bath, good tv, with the wind howling outside it was a great place to get snug and enjoy a cosy night.
Convenient for Taunton visit or on the go, close to the motorway (which could be a bit of a disadvantage, there is road noise outside, not inside though).

Room Tip: Take the 4 poster room with sitting area if you want to spend a few hours inside being cosy.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2011

On arrival you are greeted by children watching TV in the room next to the breakfast area - they then stare at you, very unprofessional.

There was a problem with the booking which had been booked twice - 2 couples had to pay for 4 rooms. No recompense offered, I was so upset I couldn't talk to them, I had thought whilst we were out that evening they would have left a note!! It spoilt my 25th wedding anniversary, if we hadn't been with friends we would have left. They claimed they had turned guests away, not sure I belived them as it was very quiet. How unfair were they, we could ill afford to pay double the cost.

Apart from that the rooms were damp, smelly, everything was tired, lamp by bed didn't work, towel rail knobs fell off, blind in bathroom wouldn't work, we had to cover the window with a towel as it wasn't frosted. Heating was noisy and kept me up most of the night, even though I lay there worrying about the cost.

We were also informed that payment had been taken out on 18th December, 10 days before our stay. Outrageous, what if it had been so bad we didn't want to pay, no chance.

Breakfast was mediocre but edible. Owners didn't show their shameful faces as we handed in the key - thank you for spoiling my special day.

Would I stary again - not likely, would I recommend, no chance

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jennifer I
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2011

This was my first accomodation in Taunton at the start of my contract so I booked for 4 nights in late May. Booking was easy over the phone and I was shown to my room promptly when i arrived. The rooms are in old coach houses attached to the main house. When i entered the room I immediatley smelt damp and mustiness. The room was dark, cold and drab. The bed was very big and comfortable to sleep in. Bathroom clean and presentable although light over the sink didnt work and there appeared to be dry rot on the wooden beam above the window. Wardrobe smelt musty and so did my clothes after they had hung there overnight. I asked for an ironing board and was brought a very old and very grubby one. I could hear every noise from the guests in the next room, including tv, talking and snoring. After 2 nights in the room I started to itch very badly all over and after talking to the pharmacist deduced I was having a reaction to mould spores. I contacted the owners and explained my situation and advised I would be checking out. I was offered another room but I declined. I stayed for 2 nights and was charged for 3. Breakfast was good and owners pleasant until i cut my stay short. I would not in all honesty recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business