“No better than a Travelodge”

Premier Inn Taunton Central (North) Hotel
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Sheffield, England
“No better than a Travelodge”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I recently stayed in this Premier Inn for a night as a stopover on a long journey. The hotel was modern and reasonably well presented and the staff seemed friendly. The travel cot that I requested on the online booking form was actually in the room on our arrival, which I was surprised at (they aren't usually).

There were two problems with this hotel, however. The first is that one side of the hotel is adjacent to a busy road. This might be a problem if you wanted to sleep with the window open, which you would have needed to on the day we stayed there as it was the hottest day of the year. Luckily, our room was on the "quiet side" of the hotel.

The second problem was that the bed was very creaky and the mattress was incredibly uncomfortable. The matress reminded me of those I slept on when I was a student in University digs. It was one of the worst matresses I have slept on in a long time. I ended on sleeping on the floor on top of the duvet folder in two.

Last year, we also did a stopover in Taunton for the same reason but at a Travelodge. I didn't get a good nights sleep there either but I paid a lot less. Given the choice between the two hotels, I would have to go back to the Travelodge (shudder).

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the "quiet side" of the hotel (or bring ear plugs).
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SJWilliams
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Taunton Central (North) Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. At Premier Inn we endeavour to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay in a comfortable environment and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please be assured your comments have been noted and will be followed up with the Management Team at our hotel. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
West Wittering, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Upon arrival, we checked in quickly by a friendly receptionist and went to our rooms - the beds were very comfortable, and there is a choice of soft or firm pillows. The receptionist kindly offered to exchange our duvets for sheets if we were too hot, and a fan was provided.

With regards to food, we opted for the meal deal, which for £22.99 includes a 3-course dinner and a drink, followed by breakfast the next morning - this turned out to be very good value, as you can have steak on the deal, and the food was very good. Breakfast was good too, where they offered Costa coffee.

In the reception area there is a vending machine offering food and drink, as well as toiletries, and there is a free water dispenser with cups. In the restaurant there is a funny candy floss machine for only £1, which makes candy floss for you with music; there is also a childrens' soft play area and fruit machines, amongst other things.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
HAMPSHIRE
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had a great stay here the room was very clean and the beds so comfortable, the breakfast and evening meal we had were very enjoyable we would not hesitate to stay here again thank you premier inn !!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Had a need for a short over night stop for the family. The play barn in the restaurant attached was a great bonus. Staff were helpful. Booking was simple online. Parking was out side and free. Wonderful

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The premier inn Taunton central north was a pleasure to say in, its guarantee for a good night sleep is certainly true. The rooms were clean and refreshing and always kept to a high standard. I spent five nights at the hotel for leisure purposes from the 2nd to 7th July and found the hotel was very central for local buses and the train station so I could travel all over somerset. a very pleasant enjoyable stay and always made to feel valued and welcomed. I would certainly return highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank tyler2008
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This seems to be one of the older Premier Inns. Still using key entry to rooms and with VERY old and clunky TVs, but nevertheless, room was clean and tidy, as was the bathroom and the bed was up to the usual standard. Pillows could do with being a bit plumper and towels were a bit thin.

Indifferent welcome by Receptionist who was having trouble with the card reader.

I had noisy neighbours above me who were exercising their pet elephant throughout the night and I mentioned this on departure and was immediately refunded the cost of the night's stay. Although the troublesome guests above me were not Premier Inn's fault, they really do offer a 'Good Night Guarantee' and for that they can't be faulted.

Breakfast at Brewer's Fayre in the morning was 'typical' Premier Inn and was up to the usual high standard. I didn't eat there the evening before.

All in all, a decent Premier Inn and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Richard B
Wirral, England
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Myself, my partner & our 2 young children stayed here twice within a week either side of a butlin's holiday to break up the journey. I looked at alot of hotels in the area and i am really glad i chose this one. The rooms where spotless and the cot for our youngest was also ready upon arrival which was nice as so many times i have stayed in budget hotels i have had to go and ask for the cot!

It's about a 15 minute walk from the train station and about 20 mins from town. There is a small tesco about a 5 min walk away. We didn't see much else in the surrounding area, but then we didn't really look to be fair.

The pub next to the hotel where breakfast is served has a soft play area for the kids which my son loved. We chose to have breakfast there which was nice, it was cooked to order the first time we stayed and was a buffet breakfast the second time.

The thing that stood out for us the most about this hotel was the very lovely reception staff. They where so friendly and helpfull and we received a really warm welcome on both occasions. I left my phone in the pub at breakfast the first time we stayed and the reception staff alerted me to this, which i was very grateful for as i had not even noticed it was missing! Also on our return after our holiday we had left our chargers at Butlins and the lovely lady on reception managed to sort out a replacement for us which we thought was very nice of her.

Overall a great stay and i would be happy to recommend this to anybody.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family