“Paranormal Activity”

Premier Inn Taunton Ruishton (M5, J25) Hotel
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Hi I stay in roughly around 100 premier inns a year with my job, I am 6 foot 2, 17 stone and generally a man's man. I have never in my life experienced anything ghostly and didn't believe in anything like that before tonight. I stayed in room 2 of this hotel which is located in the part of the hotel that was the old Tudor house. I would rather not go into detail about my experience but it is the first time in all of my 100's of stays at premier inns that I have ever had to change rooms at 4 in the morning and lets say that there is no way I was going back to sleep afterwards even though I'd only had 3 hours sleep.
Premier Inns are usually great and I have never used the good night guarantee ever but I am never come back to this hotel and I will be warning my friends and family.

Room Tip: Stay away from the haunted corridor rooms 1 - 6
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
16  Thank Stuart M
Kelly L, Social Media at Premier Inn Taunton Ruishton (M5, J25) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at our hotel.

At Premier Inn we always strive to provide customers with a comfortable stay, and I apologise that on this occasion your stay was less than relaxing. Please be assured your comments have been noted and will be followed up with the Management Team at our hotel.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Reviewed April 17, 2012

We chose this Premier Inn as it is in the perfect position for us to meet up with family and friends and we did stay here last year. The restaurant left a lot to be desired then, but we put it down to them being busy and as we hadn't booked a dinner they fitted 8 of us in, so we didin't feel we could really complain. The Premier Inn part was as expected, welcoming, comfortable, warm and clean - What a shame about the place next door where we had also to eat breakfast! We met for a drink in there after arriving at lunch-time and to put it bluntly the place is not very clean, my husband, who is not a moaner, said the gents toilets were "appalling" the ladies were not much better, we went back to our room to use our own facilities after this. We also foolishly booked a table for dinner on the first night of arrival with our friends - the waiting staff are all friendly and very welcoming and that's the best I can say about it - complaints too numerous to mention, suffice to say I felt like getting in the kitchen and sorting things out! They were not busy at all, couldn't have been more than 20-30 people eating. Breakfast next morning was terrible, cold coffee (not replenished), no eggs, bacon, tomatoes, all replenished eventually, no plates, I had to wait for some-one to appear so I could ask for some, we were eventually given stone cold plates, had to warm them on the hot plate ourselves - by this time, what was left of the breakfast had disappeared to other "lucky" guests and we had to start the waiting process all over again - we made do with toast! Very apologetic waitress (the only one working) but I don't want apologies, I just wanted what we'd paid for - we will not be going back, such a shame, if only the management knew what they were doing!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Patricia A
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Hotel is as good as all Premier Inns, but the adjacent restaurant coudl do with improving. We were aware of concerns from here - but as we didn't want to travel far, went anyway.

Staff at the restaurant and bar were friendly and helpful, but food service was very slow, and they were not busy. The carvery ha dbeen left out sinc elunch and was inedible, but was still on offer - they had run out of most al la carte things too - but the food that they did have was very good.

Breakfast - again friendly helpful service - but the crockery, glassware etc was in need of replacement - scratched, stained and cloudy - looked unclean but wasn't.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ChubbyCheshire
Kelly L, Social Media at Premier Inn Taunton Ruishton (M5, J25) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2012

Thank you for your review, we are very pleased that our team at the hotel ensured that you were well looked after. Thank you also for your comments regarding the adjoining restaurant. This is not a Whitbread run establishment, but we will ensure that your feedback is passed to the company responsible for this establishment. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed April 8, 2012

As regular premier inn users we were once again impressed by the staff on reception and the cleanliness and comfort of our room! We had a wonderful nights sleep! We rarely make use of the restaurants attached to the inns as they are not quite our choice of dining experience so cannot comment on evening meal, however we did pop out for a quick drink before driving into Taunton for food. My impression of the pub was not great and the food that I caught a glimpse of looked tired and of very poor quality and we started to regret having booked breakfast! In the morning at just after 9.30 we rocked on down to breakfast to be greeted by a very friendly lady who informed us that we could grab any table but that we were to come back to her if we could not find one as she had not managed to clear any yet! It became quickly apparent that she was the sole worker in the restaurant that morning! We poured ourselves a coffee from the flask... It was cold! Had a bowl of cereal and little choice of dried fruit etc.. Hot food looked appalling! I honestly could not even look at it let alone touch it! We scarpered!!!! Mentioned this at reception and the charming guy refunded the cost of breakfast! I would recommend the hotel but suggest you try the willow tree restaurant in taunten for dinner... Truly amazing and grabbing a costa coffee from a service station next morning! The dining experience is letting this establishment down abysmally!!

• Stayed: April 2012
Kelly L, Social Media at Premier Inn Taunton Ruishton (M5, J25) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2012

Thank you for your feedback, we are very pleased that our team at the hotel ensured that you were well looked after. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy their stay, and for this reason your feedback is very much appreciated as we endeavour to improve standards and meet all our customer’s needs.
Thank you also for your comments regarding the adjoining restaurant. This is not a Whitbread run establishment; however, we will ensure that your feedback is passed to the company responsible for this establishment. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed April 4, 2012

We spent 2 nights here in the main building. Room was fine, but being downstairs we could hear every footstep from the guest above us - don't know if he was heavy on his feet or if this is normal. Tried to get a meal in the pub next door, bearing in mind the warnings about long waits, but were only serving carveries - not quite the full menu as displayed in our room. Instead we drove 2 mins up the road to the Ruishton Inn & had a very pleasant meal - just follow the signs outside the Premier Inn. Road noise was ok considering its location literally off the M5 junction & was well placed for Taunton town center. Overall a pleasant enough stay with friendly & helpful staff & room was clean & spacious.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Stayed with two grandchildren in main building with NNE facing room. It was not at all noisy and we'll certainly stay there again. Nice room, very clean, very helpful staff who went out of their way to help with non-standard requests. No review of restaurant as we did not use it. Although we scrupulously logged out of their Wifi server after 5 mins use, it continued to count the minutes against us - if you are determined to get the free 30 mins you'd better disable your wi-fi between uses.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Yes its a Premier Inn but there is something missing. Located on a very busy road and close to the M5 it is noisy. Coming up from the A303 you will need to go out and under the M5 - around the roundabout and back to get into the car park. The hotel is split between a main building and an annex with parking spaced out around the hotel. Check-in was friendly if somewhat rehearsed and straight from college which made it really impersonal. There is food down the path in the pub next door - this is where breakfast is served. If you are looking for a quick breakfast and get away - this is not the option - however if not in a hurry I can see the attraction. There were a couple of niggles with the room which were sorted....but just shouldn't have happened in the first place and should have been sorted out / noticed when the room was serviced.
The bed was comfortable and the room clean - so from this perspective it is what was expected. Be aware of the noisy road and ask for a room at the rear of the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo