“A fantastic little getaway”

The Mount Somerset Hotel
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed August 23, 2014

We visited the Mount for a night to get away from it all, and it worked. The hotel had excellent friendly and helpful staff in all areas. The rooms were very big with all facilities and had everything we needed, the only thing missing was decaf coffee on the coffee tray, however, I am sure they would oblige. The food was of a very high standard and of excellent quality. The spa was also relaxing. I hope to return in the near future. Many Thanks

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DiamondKnight

Reviewed August 17, 2014

We booked our one night spa break as a special offer via a third party social living website so it was a special price for room, breakfast, cream tea and full use of all facilities. There was also a discount of 15% off spa treatments which we were determined to make use of. The hotel website has some appealing photos of the rooms and facilities but we had seen some very negative reviews on Trip Advisor so we decided to just go along and enjoy our time together and make up our own minds. We were not disappointed. The hotel staff were very friendly and had obviously been taken to task about some of the comments made by previous unsatisfied guests. We found them extremely helpful , making every effort to ensure that we had everything we needed during our stay. Our rooms were very comfortable and spacious with large roll top baths and walk in showers. The beds were very comfortable and the décor was tasteful . They even took the time to refresh all our towels and complimentary toiletries after we went down to dinner and returned to find our beds turned down with the customary chocolates on the pillow. A complimentary newspaper was dropped outside our doors in the morning too. We were able to enjoy the spa facilities from 10.00 am on day one and sit outside on the comfy loungers to eat a light lunch before treatments. The spa is small and has limited space for Jacuzzi etc and there is no swimming pool, which is a great shame but we knew this before arrival. The three of us booked treatments including full body massage and luxury facials . These were lovely treatments and we all praised our therapists. My massage and facial were top notch and the products used ( which I had not heard of ) were very pleasant. We had the option of having dinner and breakfast in our rooms if we wished to remain in our robes but we chose to eat in the restaurant . The food was very good , serving local produce, a good variety of choice and nicely presented. We enjoyed a complimentary glass of wine with dinner as part of our deal and chose a reasonably priced bottle of wine from the list as well. Breakfast was marvellous with everything from continental meat/cheese, fresh fruit platters, smoked salmon, locally smoked haddock, and the irresistible full English. The coffee was very good too. After indulging in breakfast we were able to use the Spa until we left. We decided to have our afternoon Cream Tea of warms scones, cream and jam before driving home watching other guests opting for the full high tea which looked marvellous. It was a shame that it was raining as we couldn't eat on the terrace but sat in the small conservatory. The only negative point we could mention was that the linen type canopy underneath the ceiling was full of dead flies and butterflies!! We did mention this before we left . The only other criticism is that the Jacuzzi was difficult to get in and out of as it really could do with an additional of step. Overall though, for the price we paid it was a lovely break and far exceeded our expectations. At no time did we feel that we received any less service and attention because we were ' on a voucher'. We would go back again.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 11, 2014

We wanted to go somewhere special to enjoy a nice meal, and chose Mount Somerset as it was highly recommended. However, we felt very disapointed. We were seated on a broken chesterfield prior to dinner. Then, I had a fly in my wine and my husband found shell in his crab, and the sauce in my dish had split. To top it all they billed us for somebody else's cheese platter... We will not go there again and I would not recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KMHBHH
GeneralManagerMSH, General Manager at The Mount Somerset Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2014

Dear KMHBHH,
I am obviously deeply disappointed to read your comments regarding your experience at The Mount Somerset.
This experience is not to our usual high standards and as other guests have noted, 'best scallops in a long time', 'credit to the chef', 'the food was excellent'
I would really appreciate the opportunity to discuss your comments with you directly. If you would be so kind as to call me personally on 01823 442500.
Regards, Amy

Reviewed August 2, 2014

My Wife and I had a night away from the kids, it was peaceful and restful. the spa was lovely. We did not eat there but the food looked great. Breakfast the following morning was all locally sourced.
The bedroom was a suite, with a four poster bed, massive bathroom, all tiled and clean. We little it very much.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your review - we are delighted you had an enjoyable day and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Treated my wife to a short overnight visit and dinner.
We arrived early and chose to sit in the beautiful grounds and tale afternoon tea.
A wonderful experience all round and we are already planning a return trip.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve N
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I have visited The Mount Somerset Hotel numerous times for business lunches. Each time, whether it is a fish, meat or vegetarian dish it has been so laden with garlic it all tastes the same. On 3 separate occasions it has caused me severe diahorrea within an hour of the meal, (and I don't have a delicate stomach!)
The staff seem to have been trained to be poker faced and unfriendly. Always polite but no smiles or friendliness.
There are much better hotels and restaurants around Taunton

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank JuliaMasters

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am deeply disappointed about your comments with regards to garlic being in every dish and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further. Perhaps you would be so kind as to contact me personally on 01823 442500.
Regards, Amy

Reviewed July 22, 2014

I booked a spa day with a friend via a Living Social deal for a treatment, use of spa facilities and lunch. Unfortunately I was very late (3 hours!) due to there being an accident on the motorway en route. The staff could not have been more accommodating; they served my lunch when I arrived and changed the treatment times so I would not miss out. The spa itself is very relaxing and has good facilities. My only criticism is that there is only small changing room facilities and one shower! However, I would recommend this spa and will be returning.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taunton
Farthings Country House Hotel and Restaurant
Brookfield House
Brookfield House
#1 of 17 in Taunton
Holiday Inn Taunton M5, Jct. 25

Been to The Mount Somerset Hotel? Share your experiences!