“Excellent but not perfect!”

The Mount Somerset Hotel
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Excellent but not perfect!”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

We had a Garden suite with our own private Jacuzzi on the terrace. The room and bathroom were stunning. The Jacuzzi area lovely, but let down by a lack of privacy...you had your own terrace, but over the top people could walk and we had children out there playing.....I'd suggest they either block that piece of garden off to the public (there are plenty of other beautiful grounds to walk in or provide extra screening, to the top?) We had room service and the food was gorgeous and not over priced considering. Breakfast was a bit of a let down, would have liked more pastries etc. For my liking bacon was too thick and too much of it, sausage not best quality so probably best there was only one. The smallest piece of black pudding (Which we had to ask for, because it has been omitted from our plates) and was quite perfumed tasting. I missed baked beans, BUT the poached eggs were to die for! We had a lovely night's stay and the hotel was very tranquil and overall well presented, just those few little tweaks. Didn't actually visit Spa or Swimming pool.

Room Tip: A Garden room was a real treat, but the price tag went with it.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Beautifully decorated, beautiful food. The most sumptuous dining room. If a romantic setting is the order of the day, look no further. The spa too was a wonderful and relaxing experience, decorated in Moorish style, loved it all!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Food - average at evening meal, breakfast good! Tho don't rely on your room service arriving at your stated time I waited 20mins after I requested and it still didn't come!
Room - lovely but no hot water & was told nothing could be done but I can use the spa shower, not really acceptable!

• Stayed June 2014
Risca, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I stayed at the Mount Somerset Hotel with a colleague the night before a business meeting in Taunton.

The hotel rooms are immaculate and the attention to detail is great but both at dinner and during a meeting with other colleagues the following morning the staff were conspicuous by their absence to the extent that twice I had to ask the receptionist for assistance in ordering refreshments.

The hotel is amazing but is let down by the lack of staff throughout.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Well I've decided I always go straight to Trip Advisor before making decisions but I've never actually written a review so now is a great time to start. Firstly, I can totally recommend the pub up the road we went to for lunch called The Blackbrook Tavern. Staff were lovely, food was lush and came out quickly even though it was a busy Sunday.

I took my fiancé here as a special birthday treat in the Deluxe Garden room. The deal also came with champagne on arrival, or afternoon tea. But seeing as I was booking I opted for the champagne hehe :) although I did see people having their afternoon teas in the lounge and they looked incredible. We arrived and was seated in the stunning lounge while they checked to ensure the room was ready, the hotel staff done everything they could to ensure that the stay was as special as it could be at my request for my fiancés birthday. Including rose petals on the bed and chocolate dipped strawberries. Rob and Dean particularly stood out for us, although everyone seemed friendly and helpful, u really feel like they want you to have a special time.

We were asked what time we'd like to come down for dinner (3 course Du Jour meal included within the package I'd paid for) I did call down to reception as I wondered if they'd forgotten our champagne arrival but I think now that possibly they were waiting for our arrival in the lounge bar but I asked for them to be sent to the room instead so we could enjoy sipping in the hot tub with our chocolate dipped strawberries :-) felt like we'd won the lottery lol. We then went and relaxed in the spa and I must admit, it wasn't as big as I thought but I think they must monitor how many people are in the spa at one time as it wasnt busy and at one point it was just us in there :-)

We then went back to the room and got ready for dinner and were seated in the lounge and asked what drinks we wanted while we browsed the menus. We were brought out olives and mixed nuts then hot canapés which were gorgeous. Dean gave us a bit of history about the besutiful building which was nice and told us about the resident peacock, William :) Once we'd decided what we wanted we were seated in the stunning restaurant. It really is gorgeous.. I read reviews from people complaining about the size of the portions but we were more than satisfied, the food is rich and gourmet (posh nosh if your like me haha) we were seated and given an amuse bouche of rich tomato soup and freshly baked mini bread roll. Followed by our starter, main and dessert. The food was to die for, and my fiancé who usually prefers quantity was even extremely impressed. Our wine and water was continuously topped up by the friendly staff and a quiet relaxed ambience.

We then went back to the room with the other half of our bottle of wine and got straight back in the hot tub. Talk about living the dream :)
In the morning, our full English breakfasts with eggs cooked as requested were brought to our room on time by Rob who had worked very late the evening before and still had a happy friendly attitude and smile on his face bright and early the next morning. we sat and ate them in the sunny garden, my fiancé spent the morning with his tea in the hot tub then we begrundingly packed up and left at 11am (having discussed any squatters rights we may be entitled to hahah) and luckily saw William, the resident peacock taking a walk around the grounds as we left. It was just the most perfect trip and I just couldn't have asked for it to have gone any better if they'd tried. We've both discussed going back again as soon as we have the spare money :-) I would recommend this hotel 1000% enjoy!!!!

Room Tip: Deluxe Garden room with hot tub.. Omg.. The most amazing experience and so relaxing. Burrowbridge ro...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Samantha D
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

We went for dinner for the 10th anniversary of our being married there. Sadly, the lounge seemed drab and in need of some loving care, not to say some cut flowers. (There were none in sight anywhere but maybe they were waiting for the wedding on the following day). Because of that we couldn't eat in the Dining Room as it was already laid for the wedding, but instead were put in a rather plain side room. The food is not particularly good and we should have sent one of main courses back it was so bad. Two set menus of £34 and £55 are over-priced. Quality seems to have been left behind. So sad. This used to be a destination place but not any more.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David H
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2014

We visited this hotel a couple of days after we got married for a little getaway while we save for our honeymoon. We wanted something a little different, namely our own private jacuzzi or hot tub! I simply Googled it and this hotel came up! We were both very pleased with our stay. The staff were all very polite and helpful.

We stayed in the Garden Deluxe room which was very nicely furnished, clean, but a little warm! Outside on the patio was the rooms main feature - the hot tub! It wasn't quite as private as we imagined (could have done with a higher fence around the patio), but at the time of visiting the hotel was very quiet so this really wan't an issue. The hot tub was easy to use, clean and great fun!

We had afternoon tea in the living room area which was brought out promptly. There was plenty of food and it was all delicious.

We also made us of the spa while we were there. It is quite small, but they have lots of different facilities including a jacuzzi, steam room, sauna and experience shower. We were very lucky as when we went there was no one else around so had the whole spa to ourselves!

For the price we paid, we felt we got real value for money and would certainly consider visiting again.

Room Tip: The Garden Deluxe room has a private hot tub! Great to use in the eeing on a clear night when the st...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MichelleHS1983
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taunton
The Castle at Taunton
#1 of 17 in Taunton
The Cleve Hotel & Spa
The Cleve Hotel & Spa
#2 of 2 in Wellington

Been to The Mount Somerset Hotel? Share your experiences!