“Splendid”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Splendid”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Relaxing on very comfy sofas in front of a roaring fire with the blistering sunshine beaming in through the windows... Yes it felt very very special even though we were only there fore two hours. Staff were friendly but not over bearing and the afternoon tea was a delight! Some of the food was amazing and some was okay. Nevertheless, overall we would go back and do the same again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Kent, England
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I visited The Mount for afternoon tea as a special treat for my Mum and Auntie. Everything was very good; service was excellent, surroundings so cosy with wonderful views across the countryside, and the choice and quality of food was excellent. One problem though, one of the orders was for Vegetarian choice of sandwiches which should be absolutely no problem whatsoever, however the vegetarian option included two sandwiches , one with tuna , the other with smoked salmon !!! Whilst the hotel were very apologetic and replaced the non vegetarian sandwiches, this sort of mistake is not acceptable. This mistake would not deter me from visiting again, but please be aware if you are a veggie !!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Smiley_Happy_People
Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed at this stunning country house for a wedding anniversary night away and it was absolutely superb. We initially rang up to book dinner and my husband chatted to the friendly reception staff who convinced him that a night away would be even better than dinner, so we decided to go for it! The suite was utter luxury with an unbelievably comfortable bed, sofas and the bathroom with its double showers was the last word in opulence and such a treat. Fluffy dressing gowns, lovely toiletries, magazines and every detail perfected, this is the ideal place for a real treat and has to be tried! We had drinks the bar downstairs (more like a Salon) and dinner was outstanding too, so I cannot find fault. Just wish we could have had a week of this treatment! Recommended 100%

Room Tip: Barrington Suite is a must if you can!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank franky53
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My daughters took me to the hotel for a surprise pre Christmas afernoon tea. First impression was the wonderful grounds and surrounding views. We were seated by the log fire which was lovely. We ordered an Earl Grey tea for myself, the waiter came back and said they had ran out and left a selection of other teas, which I did not like. My daughter went to the reception and asked if they could look in some of the bedrooms to see if there was any on the tea trays, which there was. The cake stands were not at all stable and looked as they needed replacing, they were placed gently on the table so the food didn't fall off. No staff came to see if we wanted any more tea or if everything was ok. We had to go to reception to order more and when it came the tea pots were put on the table with no clean cups, so again we had to go to reception to ask for some, they came but dirty ones not taken away. My Daughters felf disappointed as it was a surprise that didn't live up to their expectations.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank sallyf834
Pinel Hauterive
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I can only give the hotel an excellent review as I was treated as a special guest. This is the way to great guests whomever they may be. Although I was early the room was ready and I can honestly say it was a beautiful room especially for the price charged. I had booked a pedicure at the spa and was accompanied to the appointment. Everything was done with the guest in mind. Living in France I love my food so had pre booked a taster menu. I was asked for preferences but declined as I was happy to have as the chef decided. It was a beautifully balanced menu of 7 courses. All small tasters which was as required. I cannot comment on the wine although the wine list appeared to be quite comprehensive. I prefer water with my meals. Breakfast in the morning was superb and I recommend the full English as suitable sustenance to last the day. All the staff were lovely people and were so helpful and just wanted their guests to be contented. I would have loved to stay longer but unfortunately had to move on. I can thoroughly recommend this hotel to all as although not at the cheaper end of accommodation, you do normally receive what you pay for. In this case you receive more. Hopefully will return. Thank you all at Mount Somerset.

Room Tip: Did not review other rooms but would imagine all of good quality as this is the whole desire of the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Captainoggie
bristol
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I booked a Sunday special break as a preseant for my wife for xmas and was not disapointed! We have stayed at various hotels and we found the service and quality of Mount Somerset a highly enjoyable experience. As soon as we arrived at the hotel we were greeted with very friendly reception staff who took our bags until the room was ready. We had lunch in the restaraunt where the food was excellent with great service being offered, all things you would expect and all offered at this hotel. Our room was superb, we had an automatic upgrade to a delux and was very pleased with how spacious, clean and well furnished the room was. The bathroom was amazing with a very powerful shower and massive roll top bath big enough for two! We had drinks and a bar snack in the lounge on that evening and the staff were all very friendly which made our stay even better. We also used the spa facilities and enjoyed the steam rooms and hydro bath, it was heaven! Breakfast the next morning was still as good with lovely food and great service once again. I would have no hesitation recommending this hotel to anyone looking for a break wanting a lovely charactor building with period features and really good quality. We look forward to coming to The Mount Somerset again as soon as we are able too.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I booked the Mount Somerset for a two night spa break with my mum. After much difficulties with arranging the booking, this was finially sorted out by the Manager I was a little worried about what sort of service we would received. When we arrived the receptionist was extremley helpful and polite and took us directly over the spa as we had planned a day in the spa before booking into the hotal later in the afternoon.
ROOMS: We each had a double delux room which are just lovely. The rooms have that luxury quality, a walk in shower and roll top bath, didnt expect a turn down service, this was a nice suprise.
The restuart: Where can I start, and service and quality of food is amazing - if a little over priced. Drinks are very expensive.
THE SPA: Was a little disappointng, very small and no swimming pool. Only one changing room, small locker room and toilet. The foot spa was out of order, some of the light bulb didnt work so seemed very poorly lit. As we where on a winter break we couldnt use the outside lounging area and the indoor lounge is FAR TO SMALL only one bed which mum and I where happy to share but very low and difficult to use as squashed into a corner and a table. This is the only place to relax and lots of people come in and there is nowhere for anyone to lie down and relax! Fresh water is provided in jugs but run out frequently and doesnt get replenished without prompting. If you want lunch you need to get dressed and walk over the hotel, but when you are in a dressing gown with wet hair do you really want to be getting dressed and re-do your hair and make up again? We called for lunch to be delivered to the little spa lounge area, but wasnt practical.
The spa treatments: FANTASTIC the therapists (Emma, Clair) are very calming and professional make you feel a ease, relaxed and nothing it too much trouble they made us feel special.
Would I return - to the hotel yes, but if looking for spa break no the spa is just too small which is a shame becuase the treatments are so good.

Room Tip: Pls note: There isnt a swimming pool and the spa facilities are very small.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends