“Somewhere over the rainbow.”
Review of The Monkton Inn

The Monkton Inn
Ranked #13 of 265 Restaurants in Taunton
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are a traditional english pub and restaurant with a South African twist, offering dishes such as Crocodile, Zebra, Bobotie etc. We cater for all dietary requirements. We have a beautiful garden with children's play area. We are dog and horse friendly.
Reviewed July 28, 2014

On your average Monday night, one can be stuck with a slim selection of eateries in this area, mainly as Mondays are a day off to those in the catering industry. So having looked through trip advisor we came across The Monkton Inn, good reviews, good looking food, we thought why not.

And I am so very glad we did. While the main road was closed making it a little challenging to get to ( a few country lanes is all good fun) it was well worth it. A warm friendly greeting as we entered by the staff behind the bar, as well as the owner Val. The atmosphere was very warm with a lovely pub garden, where we started the meal. Moving inside for our main course was not an issue, and the food was spot on. Good portion sizes, very fairly priced, and you can also browse though the suppliers lists on the back of the menu so you know where the food has come from. We had to have Three desserts as there was too much choice!
Bill worked out at about £30 per head for 3 courses and drinks, very reasonable!
Certainly returning for another visit very soon. 5 stars!

1  Thank Jim S
There are newer reviews for The Monkton Inn

Reviewed July 27, 2014

My wife and I have been regularly eating at the Monkton Inn for the last 2 years and have always been satisfied with the food. The steaks are exceptional, amongst the best I have ever tasted. My wife has tried several of the more exotic meats available at the restaurant (South African influence) and all have been very tasty. We have found you can always expect a very high standard at the Monkton and if you are lucky you will meet Shadow in the delightful pub garden.

1  Thank CraigChivers
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We have been searching high and low for a great & consistent quality food restaurant in Taunton area for sometime. We discovered the Monkton Inn about a year ago and have been very impressed by the attentive service and excellent food. We have invited friends to the restaurant on numerous occasions and they also have been very satisfied.The prawn cocktails are exceptional and set a precedent for all others.

1  Thank Stinkerr
Reviewed July 25, 2014

For various reasons I had not been to the Monkton for a few months but popped in the other day for a quick dinner. The service was very good and the owner, Peter, made me feel very welcome despite my not visiting for some time. As a solo diner I much appreciate swift service, it gets boring talking to yourself or the wall.......... My meal, home made pate followed by Sea Bass was delivered swiftly and was very good. Now that summer has truly arrived I shall be spending a few evenings in the lovely beer garden and enjoying the banter with Val and Pete.

1  Thank Tim M
Reviewed July 21, 2014

A refreshing change for an up market pub/restaurant to be so dog friendly, Owners were very friendly and explained the menu well, staff attentive and knowledgeable, food was great with an unusual South African slant to the menu, A very enjoyable evening had by all, thank you. Looking forward to our next visit.