“Unbelievably rude & obnoxious owner STAY AWAY!!!”
Review of Meryan House Hotel

Meryan House Hotel
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed November 19, 2010

We went to this hotel with a party of 12 for the medals parade of our sons return from Afghanistan. The hotel itself is not a hotel but a glorified B&B. Not a great welcome on arrival. We all went to The Old Inn pub across road to socialise with all the families of the Marines. Approx. 12:45 am there were 5 of us left and we went back to the hotel. Only 3 of the 5 smoked so we went to the designated smoking area (a poor excuse of a gazebo) to have a last cigarette while the other 2 TRIED to get in. After knocking for a while they were confronted by an irate Scotsman who turned out to be the owner. He wasn’t happy about being woken up and said we should have used the front door which had a code lock on. We explained we were never given a code to which he replied “all of our guests are given it on arrival”. We later found out none of the party were issued one. He let the 2 in then SHOUTED to us that if we didn’t go in then we would be locked out. As we finished our cigarette he locked the door and went back to bed. After we finished I tried to get in for 10 minutes before he came down, again, with the same appalling attitude and demeanour. I told him again we were never given a code and after around 5 minutes of arguing was told “I won’t speak to someone uneducated”. (I am a Director of a successful retail business and hold a HND in business and Finance). He then said we had to go in then or be locked out all night and had to leave in the morning, which we did. When we got home I found out they charged us an extra £50. After a very rude and ignorant conversation with my favourite Scot!! was told it was for smoking in the room. As you are probably aware by now the whole reason for being spoken to like a child was because we were having a last cigarette OUTSIDE. I immediately contacted the bank who agree its FRAUD and are currently investigating. Of the many hotels I’ve stayed in for business and pleasure this is without a shadow of a doubt the worst excuse of a hotel in the whole of Europe. We actually had a fantastic time staying in The Old Inn across road with Mark the landlord for £25 and with a far superior breakfast than the Meryan House Hotel. After reading the other reviews I know the owner will have a sarcastic response but so many different people can’t be wrong.

• Stayed: November 2010
5  Thank sharony67
MeryanMagement, Owner at Meryan House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2010

There is always two sides to a story.....while we have very few rules at the Meryan, what we will not tolerate, is other guests being disturbed, while this couple were given every opportunity to come into the HOTEL, at 02.00am but refused because they wanted to smoke in the garden.
What can one do.... after 23years running a hotel, this was the first couple we have ever requested to leave, the group they were with, have already expressed there regret about their bad bahaviour.
One of the group has already re-booked to stay at the hotel in January!!!!

There are newer reviews for Meryan House Hotel

Reviewed September 30, 2010

I am not one for doing reviews, about Hotels, as I usually find that, its someone with a grievence, about usually nothing, and they dont have the (you know what) to complain at the time, but do it behind an e-mail.
I have just spent a month at the Meryan House Hotel, as I was on a trainng coarse, for the Government out here in Bermuda, and had the luck to be booked into the Meryan, along with4 others. What can I say, but it was better than home, the staff and owners treated us all like family, did our washing for us, bought DVDs for us to watch, as the footie had not started, even put on BBQs for us, all I can say is give this place try, as its one of the best!!! Plaese contact me if you require any further information,as I will only be too pleased to help. ps Mrs C. scones and cream are to die for. as is her food.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 12, 2010

Very nasty proprietor - aggressive and rude.

Room was a bit ropey for £70 a night, and arriving to find a turd in the toilet was not the finest welcome I've ever experienced.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank JRHartleyLondon
MeryanMagement, Owner at Meryan House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2010

This is a strange review if I was a guest in a hotel, and the Toilet was not clean, I certainly would have gone staright to reception, and asked for another room, why did this guest not do that!!!!!

Reviewed September 28, 2009

We stayed here with some overseas business guests, not much to say except, this is one of the best Hotels we have statyed in, great service, food, nothing to complain about.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 27, 2009

We visit Taunton each year and have stayed in some lovley places,but the Meryan Hotel was very poor, they had a funeral on (not very pleasant when you are on holliday)and we could not get into the car park,the proprieter ,when I mentioned this was very rude and spoke to me as if I was an idiot,the whole place is in need of a refit .We will return to Taunton as the people there are very friendly,pity about the owner of the Meryan House Hotel.

3  Thank slaughtneil
Reviewed August 21, 2009

Previous reviewers hit the nail on the head - the attitude of the proprietors in this hotel is aggressive, unhelpful and rude. We had a double room with a sash window overlooking the front of the hotel. My husband attempted to open the window which crashed down on his hand forcing it through a pane of glass, and badly cut it - on investigation the sash cords were quite rotten. Fortunately one of the hotel staff came and helped deal with it but the owners were completely disinterested and did not even apologise. We had a visit from the equally surly maintenance man who seemed to think we were a major inconvenience! We noticed the sash cords were broken on the windows in the breakfast room the following morning. The attitude of the owners of this hotel beggars belief. They complained that we wanted to sit outside after 11.pm with a glass of coke - which they did not want to serve but eventually begrudgingly produced and then informed us that if we weren't back in the hotel in ten minutes we would be locked out. When questioned about the obvious fire risk, the owner would not discuss it and did in fact lock the doors as soon as we were inside. This was for a family gathering following a funeral and we were not about to make nuisances of ourselves.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The staff are the only positive thing about it.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank crimblet
Reviewed November 6, 2007

A family run hotel, initial greeting was a little off putting but this was more than made up for by the superb dinner and service by the husband and wife who run the hotel, who served up some of the best food I have eaten in a hotel. It is a very old lovely building, clean, slightly in need of decoration, but comfortable. Broadband wireless was available.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank drakeekard