“Amazing hotel”

Meryan House Hotel
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
“Amazing hotel”
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is so charming. I stayed during December 2013 and found this to be one of the most delightful hotel in taunton. The food is excellent and the beds are luxurious. It's set approx 2 mins from the center of taunton and perfectly located whether you are in taunton on business or pleasure. I would defiantly recommend

Stayed December 2013
MeryanMagement, Owner at Meryan House Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Dear Guest

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you, for taking the time, and the very positive review, you have given the Meryan, we really appreciate your kind words, and thank you, once again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
eastern england
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We were greeted on arrival by a member of staff who showed us to our room, she was friendly and helpful. The room was very comfortable and furnishings rather opulent, the bed was very comfortable. The en suite bathroom was warm and sported a lovely corner bath which filled quickly and there was plenty of hot water which meant my husband could enjoy the shower.
We had established prior to arrival that the hotel restaurant is closed on Friday so, having established the breakfast times for the following morning we visited the pub across the road.
Here we were greeted warmly by the landlady who offered us a menu, pointed out the specials on the board and left us to take a decision. We enjoyed a good wholesome pub grub dinner. Feeling suitably replete we returned to the hotel to find the bar empty and a fire awaiting, a lovely invitation to relax which we did.
Our room was quiet and we were not disturbed by the other guests.
Breakfast the following morning cheered my husband hugely. The hostess produced a fine full English breakfast fit for a king, all ingredients looked as if they had been sourced locally. My toasted bacon sandwich was just right, tasty bacon and great bread. Coffee was freshly brewed as was the tea. We departed to face the day very well set up.
We will return as our visit to the area is a regular one.
Two grumbles, we always like to sleep,with an open window but couldn't do so on this occasion. The property is a fine old building with the original windows and secondary double glazing which precludes the exterior windows being opened.
Our second grumble, which applies to many establishments, is about the lighting which was rather dim and made bedtime reading difficult. Hotels seem to go for the low wattage bulbs which are horrid if trying to read or apply make up.
Otherwise all was well.

Room Tip: I requested a quiet room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pinkeastern
MeryanMagement, Owner at Meryan House Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
We thank you for your kind words and appreciate you taking time to to review the hotel in a positive manner, we have checked the rooms that have secondary glazing, and have found them, will a little tight, they do open, to allow the main window to open, we have tried to change, the main windows, but the local council, wont allow us to do this, as the building is a Grade 2, they are very unhappy for us to alter anything within the hotel.
We will ensure, you are in a room, where the windows open easily. next time you stay with us, which we look forward to.
devon
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Booked for my sons wedding night as they had family staying in their house in Taunton and I wanted them to have time to themselves after such and busy memorable day. They were impressed with everything, lovley room fantastic breakfast. The Meryan owners/Manager was very helpful beforehand checking room requirements and we were able to arrange to drop my sons car off very early morning of the wedding so it was ready for them on the Sunday morning. Fantastic service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blackdown2
MeryanMagement, Owner at Meryan House Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Hi

Many thanks for your wonderful comments, they are really appreciated, we hope the young couple are enjoying married life, as we have been married 42 years, mind you, my husband reckons only two of those were very happy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL that they have, great and happy marriage, we are sure they will. and hope to see them again, maybe on a anniversary,
Once again we do appreciate your kids words
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This was my first visit to the Meryan, and what a find it turned out to be, my train arrived from London well after-midnight, and no taxis were available, I phoned hotel for a taxi number, and and was told to wait there, and someone would come and pick me up,Nick the owner was there in minutes, and got me back to the biggest surprise I have had ina long time, my room was number 6 its was beautifully laid out warm and welcoming,after my delay I needed a qick night cap this was delivered with a smile and a rather LARGE WHISKEY....LOL after a great nights sleep, I headed down to breakfast, and what a feast I had, cooked with passion and beautifully presented, as I had a late interview I sat in the fantsatic bar with the log fire blaszing away, very comfortable, I also had the opportunity to have dinner , and this just blew me away, the food is exquistic and preparred again with love and passion, I would certainly recommend the Meryan the staff and owners are there to make your trip, as relaxing as possoble, I will be back with my partner very soon Thank you top you all at the Meryan once again

Room Tip: Room 6 was beautiful as are all the other rooms, I had the opportunity to view them all.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Alina P
MeryanMagement, Owner at Meryan House Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear Guest

We would like to take this opportunity, and thank you for your kind comments about our Hotel and the staff, we strive to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay with us, many thanks again, our staff are over joyed with your kind words.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I would not call this a hotel, more of a tacky b&b. I have family in bishops hull near the church is a stones throw way from your 'hotel' so when I saw the Meryan I though it was ideal. Nice looking exterior but it ends there. On arrival I was rudely greeted by a Scottish man (which is an occurring problem I have noticed on here and needs to be dealt with) who 'demanded' I wasn't back to late otherwise I would be 'sleeping in the cold!'. I made sure I was back by 21:00 only to got back to a cold room anyway, was probably better off outside! I'm sure I will get a sarcastic and frankly rude reopen from management but was utterly disappointed by this dreadful stay.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank MarkJ1961
MeryanMagement, Owner at Meryan House Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
We are surprised at your comments and wonder where you got the (you will be locked out) from as all guests are given the front door code, and can come and go as they please, your comments are well off the mark compared to the majority of reviews, and wonder what your objective is, in writing these comments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and we are also a little perplexed, as we have just had a visit, from an under cover hotel inspector, who once again, has given the hotel a 4 Star Rating!!!!!!!!!!!!
King's Lynn
Reviewed October 22, 2013

The accommodation was good, the food was excellent, the staff were so warm and friendly. Mrs. Clark's scrambled eggs and porridge were the best I have ever tasted. We did enjoy our four-night stay and look to return for another holiday in the area.

Room Tip: Room 11 was a lovely twin-bedded room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
MeryanMagement, Owner at Meryan House Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Hello Again

It was a pleasure looking after you, and as stated my husband has very fond memories of New Zealand, God was really in a good mood when he created it!!!!! many thanks for your kind words
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Meryan Hotel is a great traveller's retreat be it business or holiday. Classic English country experience. The hosts were wonderful. Welcoming and very accommodating with plenty of stories and local insight. The food was excellent and ambience to match. Rooms were beautifully setup and bed hard to get out of. The old Jute box in the lounge is a classic.
I hope to return when next in the region.

Room Tip: Upstairs south facing has great views
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business