“great place,great value”

Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Dorchester, United Kingdom
“great place,great value”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed here over a weekend with my husband. Very easy to find and plenty of parking. Lovely big bar area and lots of seating. Separate restaurant for main meals but meals also available in the bar area. There is a harvester within walking distance to so plenty of options available to you. Our room was a good size with a sofa as well as a table and chairs. Very clean and tidy with everything you need. The leisure facilities are very good,decent sized pool,a Jacuzzi and a large gym. These facilities are open to the public as well as guests but not overcrowded. All staff were very polite and helpful. Breakfast was a very enjoyable experience,so much choice I didn't know where to start. We will definitely be returning. The hotel is not particularly plush but I don't think that is what a holiday in is all about. It was comfortable,functional and enjoyable.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Chris F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Taunton M5, Jct. 25, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review.

We very much hope that you return soon.

Chris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2013

When I checked out of this hotel, the receptionist asked me to score the hotel out of 10. I gave it 8. She, of course, asked what they could do to improve. It's a difficult question to answer. This is a Holiday Inn. I would give 9s and 10s for exceptional hotels where I had a memorable stay. It's just this hotel was not particularly memorable.
I like Holiday Inns, but I've been in nicer, and I've been in worse. It was a pleasant stay, but in no way memorable.
My arrival was efficient and I got 500 PCR points as a bonus for being a Platinum Priority Club member. However, my guaranteed upgrade was non-existent because "I was already in an executive room". Whether this is a HI policy, or a hotel policy, it's a bit disappointing.
The room was comfortable enough - the standard HI fayre, but there was a clinical chemical smell from the en-suite. Of course, this is better than the other possible smells from an en-suite, but the smell of bleach in your bedroom, however slight, is not great.
Breakfast was nice. Again, had better at other Holiday Inns, but certainly had much worse.
Check out was efficient, and I didn't mind the request for feedback, in fact it's nice to be asked.

So, while this review might seem a bit negative, it's was a pleasant stay. I had better, I've had worse. For a Holiday Inn, pretty average.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sounds like we did a good job meeting your expectation - but we do strive for more.

Will be working harder to deliver that memorable service element during your next visit.

Thanks for the feedback.

Wigan
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I stayed on a business trip with a colleague on an all inclusive "Flexible" rate of £131.00p. - Well it appeared that we had the choice of Starters -Mains -Desserts -all those with a little "s" on the menu - Anything else on the menu was subject to a £2.50 supplement. Decent range of starters and mains -However I asked if I could change my dessert to something that was not on the "selected" list - As all or most of the desserts were about the £5.60 mark and the one I had chosen was also £5.60 I asked the waitress if I may swop - "Yes you can but its £2.50 extra".
After being in many Holiday Inn's and amassing over 500,000 points I have been around this Hotel Brand for quite a few years - well I would have expected for the sake of £2.50 "sure no problem". Not so - After a consultation with the restaurant supervisor, I was duly lectured in front of all guests in the immediate vicinity that "Yes we would do it this time but don't ask again because this is the only time".- The dessert was duly delivered with the word - "There" and plonked down in front of me.
The following morning I spoke with the manager -explained what had happened - he would investigate and thanked me for my feedback-
Morale of this story - Just tab the £2.50 on expenses.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Taunton M5, Jct. 25, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear IlovesunWigan,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and I regret you received service which was less than satisfactory.We value your feedback as they enable us to further improve the quality and services we offer and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.

Joel B
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Taunton hotels

Seaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stayed here for a two night weekend break after staying here once before we had a decent size room with the sofa turned into a bed for our daughter .The hotel has a large bar area as you enter which is ideal to wind down if you dont want to be in your room all evening. We didnt eat in the hotel so cannot comment on this as there is a harvester resturant very close (walking distance) but be warned gets very busy weekend evenings. The hotel is right by the motorway so is easy to explore somerset and devon and taunton town centre is a small drive away for shopping .One big plus is the hotel gives away free coffee and biscuits by reception in the morning nice touch.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Great to hear that you enjoyed your family stay here at the Holiday Inn - and that you appreciated the "Coffee to go"!

Really glad to hear that these little touches make a difference - it is what makes us keep doing them!

St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2013

The Hotel is really nicely situated just a stones throw off junction 25 off the M5 and It provides a great large 'free' car park.
The Hotel has nearly all the attributes to be a 4/5 star hotel but is clearly missing a trick or two to improve its rating. It has nice size rooms for couples (not massive for families but ok) but they are clean, modern and comforterable so no real concerns there. The Hotel has a great large public space in relation to the bar and again it is modern, clean and spacioius. The Spa and Gym is fine and the health treatments i.e. Massage etc all looked reasonably priced.
However the so called award winning breakfast is not bad, it has all the main essentials for a breakfast but award winning - I wouldn't award any prizes for it. Unfortunately it doesn't have daily yogurts, the coffee is standard- just taste like coffee out the jar - no Lattes etc on offer and the cakes on offer i.e. Muffins etc - well there weren't any! Put it like this the Hotel aren't going the extra mile in this area.
The evening meals are served in the breakfast serving area which again is functional but basic and there isn't the atmosphere I look for when going out for a meal. i.e. No Tablecloths used and the windows to the area have no blinds/curtains so there is no cosiness to the eating experience.
The staff seemed fine without going out there way to really make you feel important.
Hope all the above info is useful especially to the Hotel.

Room Tip: Book well before to obtain a good price otherwise you'll end up paying way over especially if yo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Taunton M5, Jct. 25, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear nigel R,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am so glad you liked the convenient location of our property. I am sorry our breakfast options did not live up to your expectations and our dining area was less than satisfactory. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Hotel very nice, staff very friendly & helpful. However, i really resent having to pay £10 for 1 hour of internet connection which has to be continuous. An hour which i could split over 2 sessions whilst not ideal wouldn't be so bad. In this day & age when I can get free internet at McDonalds for the price of a cup of tea(!!) amongst many other places I find it hard to justify the cost to my business. If I need to log on in the evening & then next morning to pick up e mails the cost is prohibitive. Come on Holiday Inn get in the 21st century.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Taunton M5, Jct. 25, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear TheDandyHighwayman,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. However, I am deeply sorry you found our internet policy less than satisfactory. We will review for possible modifications so to better accommodate all our patrons in the future. I do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced.

I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for again for your feedback, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Zelyn N
Bournemouth
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Just one night for a plumbers do at The Somerset Cricket Club, Taunton.
The hotel was not busy and gave us an upgrade. The room was fine, the bed was comfortable and the breakfast above average.
The site is in an industrail estate just off the motorway but modern with plenty of parking and not noisy.
Staff were very helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the entrance and reception are away from the road but all are double glazed.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much.

Lets hope we have seen the last of that snow for a while!