$77
$65
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $74/night.

$105
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of $121/night.

$176
$131
$127
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewshealth clubswimming poolgood sizewi fireception staffwe've stayeddouble bedevening mealfamily roomgood nights sleepone night staybreakfast was excellentcooked breakfastyogurtsausagemotorwaygym
Reviewed October 25, 2011

We used this as a stopover on a weekend in the West Country. We arrived in the early evening and were checked in quickly. Our room was on the ground floor, clean and tidy. The only problem was that our double room was two singles zipped together. While usually this wouold have been fine on this occasion it meant that one side of the bed (mine) was about 6 inches from the wall. This made getting in and out quite difficult (especially as I had a bad back at the time). It also meant I had to put my tea and water on the floor as there was no bedside table.
Dinner was fine, the usual menu but plenty of choice. Breakfast was equally good with plenty of choice. Best of all was the pool which was emaculate and quiet, just right for a quick swim before breakfast.
Check out was fast and efficient and the staff were reasonably knowledgable about the local area as we were having to chanfge our plans because of my back.
We're planning on a return trip but this time staying for longer than one night so that we can get the best out of all the facilities.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Me and my wife stayed here on a saturday night as we where heading down to Cornwall and took advantage of my priority club reward. Check in was very smooth and efficient and Daniel was very helpful, even though he said he wasn't from that hotel he was very knowledgeable with the hotel facilities and menus. Dinner in the restaurant was very nice and reasonably priced. The only down fall was that someone set off a fire alarm so we had to leave the hotel at around 1am, No problem atall as a health and safety rep for my company I know that the safety of everyone on the building is paramount, how ever the staff on duty wernt very informative and it took a long time for the fire service to arrive, Daniel did keep us all up to date with information over the loud speakers but when trying to get hold of another member of staff to find out was happening no one really knew, thankfully it was a false alarm and we all went back in around 40 minutes later. Breakfast the next morning was very tast and Christine on reception was very pleasant on check out. This is one of the better holiday inn's I have stayed at and one of the most pleasant reception teams I have come across. Will defiantly be returning next summer when we go to Cornwall again. Thank you to everyone for making it such a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 16, 2011

The only real drawback about this hotel is its proximity to the M5, which means it is not an entirely peaceful environment. We were particularly unlucky that major roadworks were being undertaken on the night we were staying here. It would not be an ideal place for a longer stay. That said, we have no real complaints about the hotel. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, the staff were pleasant, the breakfast was fine. We took advantage of the swimming pool facilities early the next morning, expecting only to complete a few dozy lengths of breaststroke before retiring for breakfast. We had not expected to be sharing the pool with the Leeds Carnegie rugby team. My warm up in a pool consists of hopping around moaning how cold the water is. These guys went for doing the Conga - a seemingly much more effective technique.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank stanlion
TNTSSGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Taunton M5, Jct. 25, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2011

Dear stanlion

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to give the hotel feedback, following your recent stay with us. It is always a great please to receive constructive feedback.

It is always a pleasure to read such kind comments.

I have been passed these comments, particularly regarding the levels of customer service you received onto my entire team as I sure they will be as proud of them as I am.

It has been brought to my attention that you experienced unacceptable shortfalls in standards during your stay, in particular regard to the leisure club being busy during your stay.

I would like to take the opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience you were caused by this issue and please rest assured that I have passed your comments to Jeffrey Isaac the Reception Manager who will carry out any corrective action that is needed, to ensure the future satisfaction of our guests.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to make us aware of your findings, which have allowed us to review our standards to ensure we are consistently delivering the highest standards of service for which we are renowned. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn, Taunton.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed October 10, 2011

After our five day holiday in Bath we had an extra night between locations and stayed at the Holiday Inn Taunton before travelling on to Cornwall. Sainsbury’s at Hankridge Farm Retail Park Taunton, just off jct 25 of the M5, is our regular breakfast/lunch stop between Essex and Cornwall, so we know this area well. There are other hotels here including a Premier Inn and Holiday Inn Express. However the main Holiday Inn had the best online room deal for three people including breakfast at that time.
On arrival the check in procedure was smooth, and later when I requested some more coffee/milk supplies for our room, the guy gave me loads!
The hotel is a nice modern place, a class up from a Travelodge, with complimentary membership of swimming pool and gym club included. The room was ok with nice air-con which is controllable, and yes the motorway is fairly close but that wasn’t really an issue even though one of our windows wouldn’t close fully. Traffic is fairly light during the night and so that didn’t bother us at all. The only minor issue was occasional night noise through the wall from some sort of machine (air-con unit or extractor perhaps?) We were in room 52, 1st floor, which is the first room in that corridor. So maybe a room further along might have been quieter, but it wasn’t a major problem.
The hot/cold buffet breakfast was nice and included in our room rate, but I wouldn’t want to pay £13.95 for it unless on a business account!
The evening meals seemed a little expensive and the restaurant area is rather open plan and thus perhaps lacks in atmosphere? We didn’t eat there so perhaps unfair to comment.
We ate at the pub, one of the Harvester chain, which is a few minutes walk away by the Holiday Inn Express. It was busy being a Friday evening, but having put our name down we took our drinks outside and were called to our table within about 20 minutes. Another eating option is the Hankridge Arms which is near the retail park and over a footbridge I believe.
We liked this hotel and would stay again if the price was right.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Dear royuk_7

Thank you for taking the time to feed back to us following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn, Taunton. It is always a pleasure to read such kind comments.

Please do let me know when you are next visiting the hotel for a business trip as it would be great to personally welcome you to the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future and if in the meantime I can be of help or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Your sincerely

Reviewed October 8, 2011

We have used this hotel numerous times as a convenient stopover en route to Cornwall. The last time being June 2011. Holiday Inn is one of the more reliable brands in terms of product consistency in the UK. You know you will get a comfortable bed, choice of pillows and a friendly welcome. Good breakfast too if you decide to take it. In my experience, Taunton is one of the better examples, so until now, we have been regular guests, to the extent that I achieved Priority Club Gold status on the strength of Taunton hotel stays alone.

The most significant asset of this hotel is its proximity to the M5, which makes it a great stopover location. There are other hotels in the vicinity, but this one is the most comfortable and best appointed. Inevitably there is some road noise in some rooms, and the view from some rooms is limited, but that is the trade-off for convenience.

Earlier this year, like many properties in the chain, Holiday Inn Taunton upgraded its entertainment systems, installing flat screen TVs amongst other less headline-grabbing measures....and not before time! Unfortunately IHG appear to have decided to dramatically increase room rates, presumably to recoup their investment. As an indication, for an 'advanced purchase' booking in late June (almost peak season) I paid GBP 69. I am now looking to book the same rate and room type for November (definitely low season), and the equivalent rate is GBP 94 (this is common across a number of weekends, not just the one I really want to book) - a massive increase!

Suffice to say in my opinion IHG are taking the proverbial here, and I will be voting with my feet. For those who prefer to collect Priority Club points at more reasonable prices, there is a Holiday Inn Express across the road nearer the main Blackbrook industrial estate.

Whilst I have enjoyed good value at the hotel several times in the past, my rating for 'value' reflects the current pricing strategy. If anyone from IHG is reading this, please rethink your pricing strategy for advanced bookings - this hotel deserves more custom, but you will be driving people away with these outrageous rate increases!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the A358/Motorway side if you are a light sleeper, particularly in summer. My other tip at this hotel is to take the footbridge over the A358 into the retail park, where you will find the excellent Hankridge Arms gastropub - far better value than the fare on offer at the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
TNTSSGM, Operations Manager at Holiday Inn Taunton M5, Jct. 25, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2011

Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Dear Cornish_Exile65

Thank you for taking the time to feed back to us following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn, Taunton. It is always a pleasure to read constructive comments.

It has been brought to my attention that you experienced unacceptable shortfalls in standards during your stay, in particular regard to the pricing strategy for advanced bookings.

I would like to take the opportunity to apologies for any inconvenience you were caused by this issue and please rest assured that I have passed your comments to the Area Revenue Manager for future consideration, to ensure the future satisfaction of our guests.

Yours sincerely