“A Pleasant stay”

The Castle at Taunton
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed June 23, 2014

A one night stay here which was, in general, very pleasant in this charming building - Reception staff helpful and friendly.Our room was very clean if a bit dated. Common areas and corridors a slightly tired. Location couldn't be better though. Sadly the staff at breakfast the next day were terribly rushed and we ended up seating ourselves and having to get someone's attention for ordering. On the whole I'd say good.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheCoop45
Marc M, General Manager at The Castle at Taunton, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Dear Henhouse45

Thank you for staying with us and for posting a positive review. I am very sorry about the issues with breakfast and will follow up with the team. I look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Unfortunately, we just could stay for one night but we really enjoyed it.
When you´re in your room you feel like some hundred years ago as the charme of the former centuries has been kept and brought to our time with al the luxury you need, today.

The staff was also very helpful and friendly!

I would love to come back!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Mela40629

Thanks for the great review. I will pass on your kind comments to all the staff.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

We loved our stay at The Castle. I travelled with my young son and we were made very welcome. All the staff were very attentive. We only ate once but it was delicious. I loved the look of the hotel and the feel when you walked in.
Great central location, perfect for shopping and just a 10 minute stroll to the Cricket Ground.
Weather on our visit was scorching and rooms were warm and the fans were much appreciated.
Will definitely return :)

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear Deegeebee

Thank you for posting such great comments. I look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

Went on the 5th of June for a Champagne afternoon tea, which was a present for our anniversary. Told to go to the Bar where we were expected. Have just read Hotels website which states that all afternoon teas are served in the restaurant, I am now wondering why we were not offered this facility? Off going bar man was very good/experienced but new one perhaps a bit less, but still polite. Sandwiches were fresh/nice but had to ask for another plate when the cakes arrived due to them having been used. All very tasty and filling but we were only given one cup of coffee for the entire occasion, surely an offer of a refill( for the price paid) should have been part of the service. Perhaps the manager would care to explain why the afternoon did not live up to our expectations or was not as advertised. Did not feel a complaint was warranted at the time but left dissapointed although with full stomachs!
Unfortunately the " Unique and sophisicated experience" was missing that afternoon, perhaps pfofit margins are more important than customer satisfaction

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Nigelrummery

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry that your afternoon tea was disappointing, If you contact me at the hotel I would love to have the opportunity to make it up to you.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

To be honest, hotels in the UK may be a very mixed experience when it comes to cleaning, but this was a pleasant exception allthough it too stick to that strange British wall-to-wall-carpet tradition. The hotel is a bit old-fashioned, but stays on the charming side. An allways-smiling staff keeps up the good impression.
Any negative? Not much, but you hear everything going on in the corridor.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear JohnLackland01

Thank you for staying with us and posting a positive review.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Hotel is beautiful from the outside and as many have said communal areas are very clean, bar and restaurant spotless and very modern. Room was simple and very clean,nothing to complain about Comfy bed everything you needed but just in need of a little refreshing. Staff were all lovely a great welcome from reception and excellent service and choice for breakfast. All in all a good stay.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear Barry C

Thank you for posting such good comments about the hotel. We all look forward to welcoming you back the next time.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

The hotel is certainly impressive from the outside and the public areas look nice, however like many reviews have stated, parts (but not all) of the hotel has had better days. Nothing I saw was bad, but improvements could be made. Some carpets are a bit worn.

The rooms were pleasant and well decorated. The bed, comfortable.

However, it was horrendously hot. I asked if the room could be made cooler and was told there was a desk fan. Admittedly, once I had opened the window and placed the fan on the sill, the room did cool to tolerable levels. However, I would of hoped to have been offered a different room. On checkout, the receptionist did say the rooms in the area I was in (Room 80 - overlooking the back part of the building) could get quite warm as "there is no air conditioning in that area". I don't know if that means there is air con in some rooms. Worth asking.

In some hotels an desk fan is fine but not in a hotel which has four stars.

I may stay there again as otherwise, the stay was pleasant enough, and if I do, I will request a cooler room!!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Marc M, General Manager at The Castle at Taunton, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

Dear DrPaulT

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry about the issues with your room temperature. Rooms at the front of the hotel are generally cooler during the summer months. If you contact me before your next stay I will make sure that you get allocated one of those rooms. I hope to see you back soon.