The Castle at Taunton
Travelodge Taunton(Taunton)(Great Value!)
$51
Travelodge
PremierInn.com
Premier Inn Taunton East(Taunton)(Great Value!)
PremierInn.com
All reviewsthe penthousewisteria roommain restaurantafternoon teahigh streetcar parkmueslilovely hotelsingle roombuffet styletown centrewine listsconeslovely roommain courseone night staybreakfast was excellent
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Dreadful place. Food disgusting, rooms pityful, service was a joke. The owner, kit chapman, seems to have given up. Much different to when his parents ran the hotel. He talks the talk, but certainly doesn't walk the walk.
Where on earth did he get the manager from? Such a pity, as this used to be a great hotel.
Howard Bush.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank tony b
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Best hotel in Taunton - central position, this hotel has character and charm in abundance. Had one of the superior rooms and though and older period property the room had been upgraded in line with modern expectations (decent size flat screen tv, modern bathroom etc), Ate in the restaurant/brasserie and the food was amazing. Breakfast the next morning was attentive (maybe too much so!) and all in all a memorable experience

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2013

The building is beautiful, the approach is stunning. The reception area and lounge bar are reminiscent of a colonial-era country estate.
I was staying at the hotel whilst in the area on business and needed somewhere central with secure parking; The Castle is right in the heart of the town and although the parking was reduced due to some building work there seemed to be plenty.
I had ordered a double room but was given a single, being under five foot five in height and British I opted not to complain! The room was basic and seemed small only when I needed to work from it the following evening.
The staff were very friendly and were extremely helpful when I asked them some questions relating to the locale.
My room was at the front of the building, given the character of the building the windows were not double glazed and I too was awoken in the early hours by wagons unloading outside. With a pub outside there was the possibility of some nuisance noise in the evening, I stayed Sunday and Monday night and all was quiet after midnight. If you tend to sleep before then I suggest you request a room away from this side of the building.
The breakfast menu was confusing; I had pre-paid for bed and breakfast and yet I was confronted with a price list. I didn't eat at the hotel for any other meals, having seen the price for the breakfast options I thought I'd better not!

Room Tip: Avoid the front of the building if you want to sleep well.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed five nights at this great hotel. The service was excellent from check- in till departure. Staff went out of their way to assist with any request. The location is central for shopping and there are lots of restaurants within walking distance. The hotel restaurants are worth a try. Rooms are a good size, comfortable and clean.Would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Having palmed the kids off at the Grandmothers, we traveled to the Castle hotel, through Tauntons mass of duel carriageways, to find, seclude away from a rather dreary town centre, a quite beautiful looking building, set amongst a green & leafy garden surrounded by the old walls of the castle. The approach is stunning, setting the scene for a memorable stay. On entering the hotel we were instantly made welcome, first impressions being so important. We were delighted to be informed, that they had upgraded us to the Brendon suite, feeling now like royalty, we made our way to the suite, on entering, finding ourselves in a huge room, that instantly made us laugh at its splendour, offering a bed big enough for an orgy ! A dressing area, wonderful bathroom, complete with phone, & views over the garden. coming from a terraced Victorian house in Bristol we began to feel like we were batting way above our average, this feeling quickly subsided, as we immersed ourselves in luxury of a sorts. We dinned in the castle bow bar & grill & at Brazz, both giving us the same levels of pleasure as the hotel experience, we've reviewed the latter in separate postings.
All members of staff, made our stay a truly memorable event, praise to the team.
La Dolce Vita !

Room Tip: Spend a little more to experience the suites on offer.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple