“Great wedding experience!”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Great wedding experience!”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We were very pleased with every member of staff we encountered during the 8months up to and including our wedding. They could not have been more helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. During our wedding day all those staff allocated to helping us enjoy our experience were helpful but unobtrusive thus helping us enjoy it to the full.
The events team went " the extra mile" and they should be proud of their efforts. Many of our friends and family stayed over and all of them commented on the wonderful location, excellent food and the whole Taunton Castle Hotel experience.
Well done! I've been told we will be back for our anniversary.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Warsash
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I used the hotels postcode which was a mistake. After ringing the hotel they suggested using the Bus Station which worked fine. This is a classic hotel and although a step back in time has had a great refurbishment. Room was good but I booked a double and got a twin. The room was well furnished but had a locked connecting door which did nothing to improve the soundproofing. The good thing was that the adjoining room did not watch TV very late. Hope they didnt hear my snoring. It is well situated in the centre of town and has its own carpark. Taunton developed long before the car and its roads are a maze. Breakfast was good and the limited staff were friendly.
I would stay again.

Room Tip: Dont get one with an adding door!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

The castle at Taunton is a rather special place as far as I'm concerned. When I arrived here in my taxi I was convinced I was in the wrong place as the building indicated a rather more luxurious place than what I normally stay in as a business traveller. It seems to have been part of Taunton's medieval castle and have beautiful plants growing up the front of the building which were all in bloom when I arrived.
Going through the wooden swing doors, the entry hall is very beautiful and the receptionist welcoming, efficient and friendly.

The hotel itself is a little dated around the edges, but is generally a beautiful setting with very friendly staff and the kind of place where the guests actually say good morning to each other, which I find very comforting and makes me feel more at home.
There are two restaurants attached to the hotel and the food in the one I ate in was nice with (again) very friendly, personable and efficient staff.

I was not a big fan of my bed and there was an amount of noise coming from the square right in front of the hotel, but overall I have been very pleased with my stay.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2013

On Saturday 11 May 2013 I arranged for 41 Churchill Fellows and guests to visit Taunton for a visit to the excellent Museum of Somerset with a buffet lunch at The Castle Hotel in the Garden Room. The hotel staff were all most welcoming and the Garden Room was beautifully set out with complimentary bottles of water. The buffet meal proved to be a huge success. The museum made us most welcome and can only be describes as a 'jewel in the crown'.
My only concern is the lack of signs for the excellent Taunton Flyer Park and Ride at junction 25 on the M5.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We just had cocktails in the lovely bar and two for one so absolutely excellent value for money. Ate in Brazz afterwards - had dinner here last May and gave a poor review, however, on this visit we found the food and service really good. Juicy steaks and tender salmon. We would go again.

Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We had a wonderful wedding reception at The Castle recently. The food was excellent and the staff really helpful. All of our requests and wishes were carried out perfectly. We also stayed in one of the rooms overlooking the garden. The room was really nice. It was large, clean and had a dressing area and en suite bathroom.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Having booked our accommodation on line, at a bargain price, we were not expecting too much, but on arrival found the staff pleasant and the room clean and well proportioned with an extra large bed. Although the Bar and Grill restaurant was closed we had dinner in the Brazz bistro. The meal was splendid, using fresh ingredients, nicely presented by attentive staff.
We found this a good value hotel, well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Book a superior double/twin at the front of the hotel with wisteria around your window