“Good in parts”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Devon
“Good in parts”
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

I booked a dinner, bed and breakfast package which was good value at £119. Dinner and breakfast were both very good, beautifully cooked and presented. The staff in the dining room were excellent. Reception staff were very welcoming and arranged for staff to take the bags up to the room. A colleague had booked the rooms for both of us on the same deal; she got a lovely room and I got what must be the worst room in the hotel (room 16), at the top of the first flight of stairs, over the main entrance and with very poor soundproofing. I could hear the couple in the room upstairs walking about, on the telephone, watching tv and talking to each other, which they were still doing at midnight. I could hear the conversations of everyone going upstairs and coming in and out of the main entrance. So not the most restful of nights...... There was only one member of staff on reception in the morning so checking out was chaotic and little chance to mention the problems I had experienced. I would definitely go back for the food but wouldn't stay in room 16 again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank LappersDevon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Milton keynes
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The Castle is a wonderful old building, which offers traditionally appointed rooms, traditional service, a traditional bar and an excellent traditional breakfast.

It's not modern, it's not cutting edge, it's not sexy... but neither is Taunton. If you want a comfortable place in Taunton to bed down with a bar you can read your book in, that has real baths and creaky floorboards plus Wifi, this is pretty good.

The "Brazz" restaurant that is part of the hotel is pretty good, varied, though discriminates against fish eaters that also want vegetables (if you're on a half board rate)... but it's probably the best place to eat in Taunton.

If you want to walk outside and soak in the nightlife, this is the wrong town.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2013

When in Taunton, I would normally stay at the Castle however, I have noticed on my last few visits there are fewer staff on duty, the breakfast is now costing £15.50 which to be fair is rather excessive for what it is.
I have just read the reviews and to be fair, I would tend to agree more with 'James H' The hotel is looking tired, the rooms are not quite a good as they could or should be, the bathrooms are pretty basic and yet, there is an olde-world charm about it.
I do think in this financial climate, the Hotel needs to 'up its game' if they want to encourage the private fee paying guests as well as the guests who are staying on 'the Company' .

Room Tip: If you need wifi, ask the receptionist when you book, there are rooms where the signal is almost non...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed January 12, 2013

What a great hotel - my mother and I stayed here for 6 nights and also participated in the hotel's New Year's Eve dinner gala. The room was comfortable with a great view over the city - a wonderful combination of winding stairs leading to little cozy nooks for reading, resting and quiet conversation. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly. We were blown away by the food - coming from San Francisco we are used to a lot of top-end restaurants and The Caste was up there with best of San Francisco - locally sourced ingredients, and some wonderful combinations, but still within the context of the English repertoire - Devon beef with shredded ox cheek and red cabbage, goat cheese mousse with truffle oil; fish cakes with a leek coulis.....
The NYE gala was memorable as well - teh owner of the hotel and his wife personally welcomed every guest, there was great ambience, we met some very interesting people and the food was amazing. We will be going back to Taunton to deal with some business and absolutely intend to stay there again.

Room Tip: I think the rooms at the top are smaller but they have amazing views.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
helston
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We arrived at about 18.30, booked in and the staff could not have been more helpfull, the room was spacious, the beds comfortable and the bathroom had everything you could wish for.
We also had dinner in the restaurant, everything was about as perfect as you could wish for, the food was 100% and the staff were friendly and helpfull. I would reccommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Oxfordshire and London
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I was looking for somewhere to break up my long journey to Devon. Taunton was a good location and I had been there before with friends, so chose this area. I was dithering whether to book a discount hotel by the motorway (£60), a country house hotel (£115) or a room at the Castle (£149).

I thought I would splash out and have a luxurious stay in the centre of town. My expectations of the hotel lived up when I arrived, the beautiful building is lit up when you approach in the dark. As soon as I walked in the beautiful revolving door, door I was starting to get deflated. The interior was a bit shabby to say the least, and all looked rather tired.

The receptionist told me breakfast times, and it would be £9 for a continental, and £16 for a cooked breakfast. After paying £149 for a room, the least I expected was breakfast. Apparently as I booked via late-rooms this means I wasn't eligible. I am sure I have had breakfast in other hotels when booking via late rooms. Ho-hum.

I walked up into my room and it was SO DISAPPOINTING. If I hadn't pre-paid, I would have walked right out again. The room was small, dated and just depressing to be in. Horrid mid-match wicker furniture, rubbish art and mirror frames from the 80's were offending me somewhat, along with the bright red carpet. The person who designed my room should have been shot.

The bathroom was another let down. OK, both the room and bathroom were clean, but the bathroom for a £149 room was sub-standard. It was very basic and I have stayed in nicer travel-lodge hotels with better bathrooms. There wasn't even an extractor fan - thank goodness I was on my own! ;)

I explained to the staff I wasn't happy. The receptionist on the evening was rather defensive, so I gave up. I explained that I wasn't satisfied with my room, again, in the morning when checking out. The two ladies behind reception done the usual 'click the computer and lean their face into the screen', but didn't come up with a solution - i.e. knock some money off. They said that is the usual rate and everyone else is happy.

I would have been content with my room should it be priced at no more than £85. I went away feeling ripped off and very dis-satisfied. Such a shame, as the castle has such a luxurious reputation, which I didn't experience.

I was woken early morning by recycling lorries, not great.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
10 Thank James H
Bridgwater
Reviewed December 27, 2012

A group of us held a surpise 40th birthday meal for a friend and we had a fabulous evening. We started with drinks in the penthouse followed by dinner in the Wisteria room. The service was excellent - we were looked after by Tom who made us feel so welcome. Would recommend this to anyone - it was superb. Well done Castle Hotel anf thank you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends