“Great Historic Hotel”

The Castle at Taunton
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Spent a great night in this fascinating hotel built in part from a grade I & II listed 13th century castle. Full of character and located in the town centre. We dined in the Brazz restaurant which had a good menu and good service.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Spent a wonderful weekend at the Castle Hotel and is was just perfect in every way. The staff were courteous and welcoming. The room was beautifully decorated, clean and spacious. We dined in the Brazz which again had good service and good food. The gardens are peaceful and pretty. Would not know you were so close to the town. Thoroughly recommend this as a weekend retreat.

1  Thank MayCornwall
Reviewed August 1, 2012

we stayed at the castle hotel and were amused by its perfectly in keeping old fashioned decor and it was spotlessly clean. my complaints are thus: it is a very old hotel with beautiful old non double glazed windows! the problem with this you may ask? they have delivery vans from 6.30 in the morning taking lass recycling(im sure you can imagine the noise and there is a NEXT arround the corner that they deliver the crates at this time also. just as i was dropping back off to sleep the refurbishment of the square outside started at 7.45 where they were cutting concrete slabs, etc beeping lorries. i spoke to staff and said they should have a warning of possible noise on their website as i would not have stayed in such an expensive hotel had i been aware i would have no rest

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Last week a friend, having seen afternoon teas advertised on their website, booked for three of us as a girlie birthday treat. As we arrived in the lovely old building we were met by the duty manager(perhaps) and told tea was on it's way and ushered us into the modern bar area- all purple retro and tub chairs, probably pleasant enough for a drink, but certainly not for the old fashioned afternoon tea we were expecting. There was plenty to eat, but little finesse and little choice of cakes- a square lump of sponge and a slice of walnut loaf. We were not given a choice of tea(as advertised) it just arrived. We rather felt that doing tea was a bit of a nuisance. When asked if all was OK, my friend passed on her disappointment, that what was supposed to have been a real treat, was just a very ordinary experience. Even the napkins were cheap paper ones- we thought he might have bought us proper ones after it was pointed out. His excuse was that some staff were off sick and the kitchen was closed - not our problem. To our amazement no discount was offered on payment. Buck up Castle Hotel, people who book your advertised tea are people who want a treat and are willing to pay for good service, not paper napkins on low tables in a bar.

15  Thank AnnababySomerset
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I used this hotel for business purposes and it is in an ideal location within a few minutes walk of the city centre. The Castle is literally what it says - a castle. This is a 4 star hotel with all the facilities and creature comforts that you would expect.

The bedroom was clean and comfortable and the Wi-Fi worked fine which is important if you are on a business trip. When I visited there was quite a lot of building work going on both in the car park and in the main square beyond the hotel. Whilst this does not interupt sleep it does make parking up a little tricky when there are only limited spaces.

Breakfasts were excellent and the staff were friendly and helpful. I would have no hesitation in recommending this for business travellers although I suspect it is equally if not more inviting for couples given the atmoshpere of a real castle with interior design and stylish elegance to match.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I booked this hotel based on its centrality and the decent reviews on this site. The building is an historic building with a lovely ivy-covered facade, and offers free parking for guests. A little disappointed with my room - it was a true 'single occupancy' room with a single bed suitable really only for a child. It was narrow and looked to be furnished with a curious assortment of mismatched furniture. Not a room I wanted to spend any time in at all. Dinner was good - the restaurant is all modern and funky decor if that's your cuppa. Food and service both good, as was breakfast the following morning. Okay for a business hotel I guess but unlikely I'd return for a break.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ChrisNLondon
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I had my wedding reception at The Castle Hotel on the 30th of June and I cannot express how wonderful it was. The Castle staff were very helpful and friendly. Everything I asked for was done straight away and the staff helped me to set up the night before even at midnight searching for safety pins. The hotel was very organised and everything ran like clockwork. When they didnt have my guests favourite drink they went to Brazz to get it for them. They really made my guests, my husband, and I feel at home.

The food was outstanding! The canapes, 3 course meal and evening buffet were all exceptional. All our guests finished their food and commented on how good it was.

Our room was big and very comfortable. Very clean and decorated well. We were here on a saturday night, looking out at the street and we didnt hear any noise at all. We couldnt hear the other rooms either and slept very well in the huge, comfy bed. The breakfast was good, even for a fussy vegetarian like myself.

We will definately be returning to the castle hotel to stay for a night or two. We have already returned for a drink and snack in the bar area. I highly recommend this hotel, especially as a wedding venue.

Room Tip: The garden rooms are larger and have a nice view of the garden.