The Castle at Taunton
$127
$81
$76
PremierInn.com
Premier Inn Taunton East(Taunton)(Great Value!)
$76
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe penthousewisteria roommain restaurantafternoon teahigh streetcar parkmueslilovely hotelsingle roombuffet styletown centrewine listsconeslovely roommain courseone night staybreakfast was excellent
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I have been prompted by my husband and children to write,after reading a recent review.We travelled from Telford in November 2011,looking for properties in Somerset.We decided on the Castle as our nights stay,unfortunately due to a very bad accident on the M5,we didnt arrive until halpast midnight,tired,thirsty and hungry.We were greeted by the night porter,who helped us with our luggage from the car.We entered the delightful building,checked in,and enquired about food and coffee.The night porter offered us coffee,and paninis ,but said if we gave him a few minutes he would make us some fresh sandwiches.Although the bar was busy,and he seemed the only person around,10 minutes later he brought us fresh chicken mayo sandwiches,with sides of salad,and crisps,they were delightful.We didnt get his name,but he was english.Quite a novelty in hospitality these days.When we retired to our rooms all our bags had been taken up for us.The rooms were exceptionally clean,and well decorated.We had a very relaxing night,and enjoyed a wonderful buffet style breakfast in the morning,which set us up for the day.
All in all our stay was first class,from start to finish,and we would recommend you try the Castle.

Room Tip: We had rooms next to each other,but would have been nice to have had connecting rooms
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank travelling5Telford
Reviewed February 19, 2012

As the Castle part of this hotel suggests, this is a very old but well furnished and fairly modernised hotel with a very welcome free Wi Fi. With it comes the very classic nice touches that is sometimes lacking in some of the more modern establishments. Warm and welcoming staff at the reception and anywhere else they may be found. Decent size room with tea, coffee, drinking chocolate, bottle of water and of course a small kettle. Fresh milk can be delivered to your room if your not keen on the UHT stuff. LCD TV with a good reception on the basic channels. Decent bath and shower with ample hot water and supply of shampoo, soap,flannel. Evenings your bed is even turned down for you, bit OTT but nice touch. Breakfast has a fair range of both hot and cold options, locally produced and to a very high standard. Nice touch with fresh flowers on the table. Dinner at the a adjoining Brazz Restaurant is a delight apart from the side order of chips (chips not chunky, but small and greasy). Overall the restaurant offers a high standard of food and service, although not too happy about the 12.5% discretionary service added to the bill. Prefer to add my own gratuity and not to have it imposed on me. Would I recommend this hotel? Definitely.

Room Tip: Ask if you have neighbours. As you will be able to hear them because of the thin adjoining walls.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ChrisTaylorUk
Reviewed February 3, 2012

I spent two nights here and enjoyed my stay. Very centrally placed in Taunton, none-the-less very quiet with respect to noise from outside. Unfortunately, sound travels well within the hotel; I knew what my neighbour was watching on the TV and could hear the lift in spite of an intervening fire door. My room was furnished in an old-fashioned way but spotlessly clean and comfortable with a modern bathroom. I would have preferred a duvet to blankets. Helpful, polite staff.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Phyllida R
Reviewed January 21, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in 2007 and had a good stay. Therefore when we were passing through this area of the country again recently we decided to stop off there again.

Unfortunately our stay this time was far from ideal and we will not be returning! The main reasons for this are:

~The closure of the main restaurant is a real loss. It was one of the main attractions of the hotel - the Brazz is no replacement for it (it is perfectly adequate as a place to eat but that is all).

~The decor of the hotel is definitely getting tired (as a number of others have commented) - walking into the lobby was actually slightly depressing we felt.

~The town centre location dod make it very noisy (at least for the rooms we were in) - there was actually a fight right outside our window and revellers returning home disturbed us right into the early hours.

~The car park was fine (some comments say otherwise) but, on the night we stayed, our car was scratched all the way down one side even though it was parked well away from the entrance - unfortunately the hotel CCTV was not able to pick up this area of the car park.

~Most of the staff did their best to be helpful but were clearly overstretched - there was however one member of staff who stood out (but not in a good way) and that was the NIGHT PORTER who was extremely RUDE and AGGRESSIVE - there is at least one previous review that mentions this and I wish I'd read it before our stay.

Overall, it was one of the worst experiences we have had in a hotel...

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
15  Thank Chartists
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Situated right in the town centre, but its not noisy. Small free carpark but plenty of staff to help you park and move your bags to your room. Its a real castle and the character seeps through. The room was OK, it had a bath, it was warm and was quiet. However, the small single bed had an arrangement of covers made of materials that appear to be designed to slide off in the night. I like a duvet.

1. I'd be tempted to eat out, the evening meal wasn't that great. The cheese board disappointed most.
2. I like the snooker room. Made me feel good, like I was lord of the manor, rather than a low life, the feeling I get playing in the usual clubs.
3. Don't be alarmed if you think someone has been through your room when you get back, someone has, they come in and turn down your bed covers.
4. The museli at breakfast really is the best I've ever tasted. They say its their own recipe, but they should make more of a deal about it. The rest of the breakfast was good.
5. Colleagues also staying had a double bed room but said it was too small for two people.
6. The meeting room was the penthouse and had great views.

If I go back to the centre of Taunton I'd stay in the Castle again for £70. I don't know why I'm not giving it a 5.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business