Holiday Inn Express Taunton M5, Jct.25
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
All reviewsharvester restaurantsausagebeansadjacent harvesterbusiness parkfree breakfastthe sofa bedbudget hotelquick checkthe air conditioningplenty of parkingcar parkmotorway junctionpleasant stayconvenient locationovernight stopwould stay again
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We chose this hotel due to the proximity to the motorway and Taunton town centre which was only a 10 minute drive away.
Our room (113) was spotless clean as was the bathroom and all of the public areas of the hotel. Our bed was perfectly comfortable however the sofa bed which my sons shared was very uncomfortable, They could feel every spring, lump and bump in it which led to a sleepless night for one of our sons.
We arrived back at the hotel at just before 11pm, went to the bar to get a drink to take upstairs. We stood for a few minutes and waited for a member of staff to come to the bar but there was no-one around so we retreated to our room.
Breakfast was basic which is what I expected from an Express hotel. The staff I did encounter were plesant and friendly and were very obliging when I asked for a few more tea bags off the house keeping trolley as there are only the standard 2 bags in the room.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Chose this hotel as a base for a long weekend in Somerset. As always HIE lived up to its reputation. Reception staff were excellent, polite and efficient, The hotel is clean and well maintained. Housekeeping is excellent. The only problem we experienced was at Saturday breakfast when there was one (possibly a student) looking after the entire area. He obviously had other things on his mind and clearing away etc were kept to a bare minimum. After a 15 minute wait for scrambled eggs, which took three reminders from various guests, many diners gave up and settled for beans and/or sausage. Sunday was marginally better, but Monday everything was back on an even keel and there were no problems.
The hotel is next door to a Harvester restaurant, which meant being able to sit outside in the sunshine having an "aperitif" and it is just a few yards walk afterwards to the hotel.
A Holiday Inn hotel is also on the other side of this pub/restaurant making it extremely busy and unfortunately short staffing was apparent on all three days.
HIE is on a sort of commercial estate and not within walking distance of anywhere, but it is a very short drive into Taunton, not far from Bridgewater and Exmoor, so it is perfectly situated for a base.

Room Tip: 139 overlooks the car park, but can be a little noisier than 136 which looks out onto a pitched roof and that is all you can see - a pitched roof, but no noise and given the right guests is very quiet
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank des
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights from Friday 17 to Sunday 19 August. Checked in and went to our allotted room but the key card didn't work and we were confronted by a man asking why we were trying to enter his room. Went back to reception and changed key card and went to the correct room which was perfectly adequate but not on the ground floor which we had requested. Air con was useful as weather was unexpectedly hot. Room was clean but there was a fairly large stain on the carpet next to the bed. Lots of lights but even with them all on it wasn't that light with the curtains closed - need better light for putting on make-up. Breakfast was OK but scrambled eggs were horrible - they had been out for far too long - and lots of families with noisy small children so stressful for the childfree. Went out for the day on Saturday and returned at 5pm to find our room had not been made up - called reception to be told that rooms are only visited by housekeeping once every 3 days!! There is no mention of this on the website and if there had been I may well not have stayed here. Wi-fi is free in the bar area but charged for in the rooms which seems off if they are trying to appeal to business travellers.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
TauntonManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Taunton M5, Jct.25, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Dear Fiona

Thanks you for your review of Holiday Inn Express Taunton and may I take this opportunity to apologise for the issues you encountered during your stay. Firstly can I apologise for the issues you had with your key card I am investigating how this happened as this seems to be a computer glitch but I have been assured that this will not happen in the future by our IT supplier. May I also address the issue you had with your room not being cleaned during your stay. Our policy is that every room is cleaned each day during a guests stay. This includes changing towels, hovering, emptying bins, making beds, refreshing tea/coffee etc. The only thing we do differently on the 3rd days is a complete bedding change, the only time this would not happen is if a do not disturb sign was hung on the door. However on this occasion it seems as this was not the case and your room was missed by our housekeeping team, for which I am very sorry and have addressed this with the housekeeping manager to ensure that this does not happen in the future. Thank you for raising the issue you had with the lighting in the rooms this will be helpfully in reviewing improvements that can be made to improve our guest experience, and I will endeavour to find a solution to this and as for the stain on the carpet I have checked the room that you stayed in and I can confirm that there is not stain present, unfortunately some marks on carpets can take two or three cleanings to be fully removed and it seems that the housekeeping team may have managed to remove this before my checking. Lastly I would like to thank you for your comment regarding the breakfast service, we are constantly trying to improve our breakfast service and your comments will help us in this effort, our eggs are cooked fresh and are only held for a maximum of 20min once cooked and as you can appreciate during busy periods it doesn’t last that long, we will review this and the way the eggs are being cooked as this may have contributed to them seeming dry and over held.

Once again I would like to thank you for all your comment and I hope that when you next visit you will see the improvements that these have helped achieve.

Kind Regards

Robert Holmes

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Nothing has changed stayed there Monday 14th August, a really nice place to stay for a night or two. Staff are still very friendly and this hotel is spotless. Great free super fast wi-fi downstairs in the bar area too!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I was only staying one night, and experienced a problem with the key and the door to my room. Reception staff were extremely helpful, despite needing to run up and down stairs, and after third attempt changed my room. This was on a busy evening, and a long shift.

The room itself was spotless and if I did have any cause to have a little moan it would be that there isn't a socket near a mirror, which makes hair styling a little difficult, and I had to heat up my straighteners, unplug them and then take them to the mirror. Slightly irritating. Next time will take an extension lead!

The bed was comfortable, the heating/air con easy to deal with, and the shower was fabulous - at the turn of a knob I could get the precise temperature I required. Shampoo/Body Wash and Handwash in wall-attached cylinders. Tea/Coffee but no other bits and pieces, although sign does say you can get complimentary from Reception if you've not brought your own.

Breakfast, part of the deal, is very simple. Buffet choice of cereals, fruit juice, tea coffee, little cakes, toast, small rolls, beans, sausage and scrambled egg, and hard fruit (apple etc).

A bit crowded and busy around the tables, but as someone who was eating alone it made me a little more 'invisible' as I read my complimentary Independent newspaper (found in a rack at Reception).

There is a Harvester next door, same car park, for those who want to eat. Don't know if there is a need to book, but I would suggest finding out as it looked busy.

I didn't hear any noise in the corridor when I settled down, and the motorway is far away enough not to disturb either. The next day I heard there had been a thunder and lightening storm which went from Taunton to Bristol. Don't know if it missed the Holiday Inn, but I didn't hear it! I was sound asleep :) The car park is well lit.

Absolutely spot on for female travelling alone and I plan to use again when in the area.

Room Tip: I was offered 231 - it is right next to the stairs and lift so I declined.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo