“Overall great few minor issues”

The Corner House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Bolton, UK
“Overall great few minor issues”
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in a compact double room for one night in November 2013. The staff on reception and the bar/restaurant area were very nice and welcoming. They were quick to help and give advice. I had drinks at the bar which were fine and there are a large selection of different wines in the shop. Unfortunately I am not a connoisseur so didn't buy anything but the prices seemed reasonable and staff gave recommendations. I ate an evening meal in the restaurant. There is a large choice available and they are reasonably priced. I opted for cheddar rarebit for starters which was very tasty. I had lamb shank on a bed of garlic mash with seasonable veg. The meat was cooked well and tasty. The mash was slightly bland and tasted quite processed like instant mash. The veg was fine. For dessert I ate chocolate orange bread and butter pudding with clotted cream. It was scrumptious but by then I was pretty stuffed so couldn't finish. The room was quite basic yet comfortable. The downside was the overwhelming heat (in November!) despite no heating on. Could do with air con. I had to open a window but I was placed under the kitchen which was very noisy. Pans and cupboards being slammed, people talking loudly, banging and general noise. I wouldn't have been so bothered but I was tired after a long drive and had an early start so was quite annoyed. I didn't complain being typically English but would have done if it had continued much longer. The breakfast was lovely I had full English, with coffee and brown toast. Can't complain at that. So in summary it was a nice place to stay, not spectacular but not bad either. Good value for money overall.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Penzance, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed, just the one night, we arrived at about 2pm hoping to check in and were told we would have to wait until 3pm, which was fine as had a drink in the bar while we waited, with some other guests waiting to check in, once 3pm arrived it seemed very chaotic when everybody tried to check in at the same time, also I had prepayed for breakfast although the young man on reception insisted I hadn't, this was rectified the following morning when we checked out when I again pointed this out. Yes the entrance to the car park is narrow, but I found it easy enough to drive in an out.
We had a room at the rear of the hotel which was probably quieter as the hotel is situated on a main road.
The breakfast menu was a very varied choice and very nice, although my partner was not too keen on the very sweet sausage served with the breakfast, I had the smoked haddock which was lovely.
All in all a pleasant stay and would stay here aga

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Stourbridge
Reviewed November 2, 2013

This was my first stay here and it came as a recommendation from a colleague,well I think we have different views,don't get me wrong there are not major problems at the corner House just a succession of irritations
Firstly the entrance and exit to the car park is narrow,and I mean fold your wing mirrors in narrow
My room was small and the bathroom incredibly small and as I am a larger than average person it was a bit cramped,however it was clean the bed was comfortable and once in the shower the temperature was easily controllable.
The meal was a different proposition ,if you like Mash and "Hand cut Chips " you are fine but i don't,there was no Rice pasta or Noodle option so I asked for a Pie and Peas and carrots with no Mash,well had I asked the waiter for Roast Wooly Mammoth the look on his face would not have been more incredulous,anyhow it arrived,finally,and speed of service is not the best.
The food itself was excellent,a selection of really nice pies amongst other things but the delay in service (23 minutes for Cheese and Biscuits) was irritating
And so to breakfast if the waitress had written my order down then maybe she would have got it right and not had to return to the kitchen to get the eggs and to be honest based on the quality of the evening meal the breakfast was not really up to much,watery eggs ans chewy bacon.
Finally on checkout because the young lady did not read the booking form properly she wanted payment for the meal and drinks rather than charging them back to the company account.
So in conclusion this place could be good but at present,well next time its the Premier Inn

Room Tip: Ask for one in which you can swing a cat
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Cliffy315
Launceston, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel conveniently located by a short walk to Taunton's city center.
The Hotel has parking for guests at the rear of the building, as for the hotel itself its a very nice Grand Victorian building, inside its a mixture of Victorian and modern style tastefully done and a great Restaurant with an excellent selection of very good wine and fantastic food.The staff were ever so helpful at all times and genuinely so. If I had one word of caution that is when it states a room as compact double, it is! It's a single room with a double bed, for me staying on my own fine but if I was sharing the room, there would have been a divorce ! So be warned!

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2013

My wife and I got a great deal at this hotel - 3 nights in a double room for £100 (breakfast wasn't included). And overall, it was a comfortable enough stay. But there was a series of small issues that individually we might have shrugged off, but added together highlighted a lack of attention to detail.

On our first evening we ate in the Wine and Sausage restaurant at the hotel. The menu was mouth-watering, but to my disappointment the first meal I ordered had sold out (this was at 8.15pm). Then, when I ordered a medium-rare steak, it came extremely well done and had to be sent back.

We chose to have breakfast in the hotel the next morning. There were a few small annoyances at breakfast: no butter on our table (we took some from the next table); having to ask for a second knife after using the first for butter and jam; but, most of all, the sausage that came with the cooked breakfast was called a 'Taunton Marmalade Sausage' on the menu. I thought this was a fancy name for some new sausage. But no, it was a pork sausage with marmalade in it... and it was as disgusting as it sounds.

I could go on in more detail - the complimentary water and milk in our room not being replaced when we'd used it; being put in a small side room when we ate in the restaurant again and ignored for ages; then waiting 40 minutes for our meal; being overcharged on the final bill.

But the point is, the hotel's in a great location - literally 5 minutes from the centre of Taunton and on a main route into the surrounding countryside. The food in the restaurant, once it arrives, is excellent. And they do good deals. It's just the staff all seem to be very young and inexperienced and, particularly in the restaurant, don't seem to have been trained in the basic art of customer service. In short, it could be so much better.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Looking forward to our restaurant visit on a groupon voucher so , never having visited before we were excited to try somewhere new in Taunton.
We asked what we were entitled to with the voucher as it said two courses and was told by our waiter anything on the menu apart from the extras. We decided to share a starter and sweet. As a glass of wine was included my husband as driving ordered a pint of orange squash. We had to request this three times, which was a bit embarrassing,
the first time the waiter said he had passed the order to the bar staff and they were doing it, the second that the bar staff was on a break and the third, the waiter went and got it himself.
When we ordered our food, the order was taken and then the waiter returned to tell us that the main my husband had ordered, they didn't have.
The people on the next table had the same problem ordering a different main course but with the waiter returning to say they didn't have that either. It was a Sunday eve.

The food we did have was nice although the portions were small.
When we went to pay for the extras we were charged for the sweet, which the waiter had said was included in the deal.
The deal had been a good one but
would I visit again? Probably not.

Room Tip: We weren't staying just eating.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2013

6 of us stayed here and we do like the hotel. Food is lovely and the staff waiting on you for breakfast are very helpful. A bit disappointed we could not get a drink at bar the 2nd night as the night staff that does bar was on leave and the standin could not use bar. We would stay again though.

• Stayed October 2013