“Business, Not Pleasure”

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Business, Not Pleasure”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed for 1 night for a conference here the next day. The room and its en-suite were spacious and spotlessly clean. Coffee, tea, biscuits and fresh milk were plentiful (love a hotel that provides fresh milk!), there was also a fridge in the room. The chargeable room items e.g wine, crisps, nuts etc, were reasonably priced too. Only complaint is the stifling heat in the room and the window being in such a position, no air was able to make it through.

Dinner was 3 courses which was first rate and the hotel has a reputation for its wine selection and did not disappoint at all. There was many a sore head in the function room the next day. The waiting staff coped well with our numbers, general roudyness and joined in with our jokes and fun later in the evening, once the other diners had left.

A great place to stay for work with the comforts of home, but not sure if I would book it for a romantic weekend away for me and hubby.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This is a relatively cheap hotel in a convenient location on the edge of central Taunton, parking is available at the rear although at weekends it can be difficult to find a space. The bus station is a short walk away.
I booked a standard room which was small, the 'compact' rooms must be tiny! The bathroom was small but adequate with good shower/bath and plenty of hot water. There was a fridge and usefully a plastic milk bottle, a great improvement from those ghastly little tubs, the internet connection was fast and free. I was generally satisfied with the accommodation except that the room smelt musty.
Good bar downstairs with decent selection of beers and of course cider! I had dinner one night in the restaurant and it was good, the breakfast even better. Service throughout was friendly and efficient and the staff were charming and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank PutneySW
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Good place to stay if you are working in the centre of Taunton. I stayed in a Compact single room that turned out to very compact indeed!! They had a fridge in the room that is good for the summer nights. Restaurant and bar areas seem to be adequate for the size of the hotel.
They could have done with more garden furniture in the small beer garden. Parking was free but is a bit tight when the hotel is busy.

Room Tip: Look out for special deals when you are booking this hotel. Rooms can be very small but adequate fo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here twice in the last 2 months as I always had a nice stay in previous years. The first stay I had to move rooms as it stank of smoking when I entered the room. I told reception and they gave me a look as though I was telling a lie. We we're put into what can be described as a cupboard. That night I had no sleep as someone next door decided to have a party till 5 in the morning. I told reception but nothing happened. I received no apology. Then breakfast was discussing. I thought I would give them another chance and went again at the weekend. We arrived to find no parking, then we tried to get out of the carpark and found a car parked near the exit. We tried to get out and ended up scraping the car and causing hundreds of pounds of damage. I told reception, they didn't care. I asked where else I could park, they didn't know. We ended up driving around looking for somewhere. When I got to the room it was even smaller then before. There was no water (they said they had run out). The shower didn't work and another noisey night with no sleep. I told a guy at reception about the shower he said oh well (Didn't care). I will never stay here ever again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Barry J

Travelers are raving about these Taunton hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I arrived in Taunton without a place to stay. The TI was not particularly helpful, although they did provide a map marked with potential places to stay. I had seen this hotel's website before my trip so I knew it was a possibility. I arrived and got a compact double. While it was definitely compact, the space was well utilized and I appreciated the small fridge provided. My only possible quibble was that the wifi was not available in my room but was at the top of the stairs, where there were comfortable chairs. Also, although I didn't book through laterooms, the same price was available at the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
eastern england
Reviewed October 9, 2013

A reservation was made through Booking.com, for two nights in a Standard Double Room at the beginning of September. I had requested the allocation of a quiet room which despite confirmation proved not to be the case, the room overlooked the junction. We were moved to a quiet room the following day having complained, however it was to a Compact Room which comes in at a lower Room Rate. Upon Check out I requested a reduction in the bill to reflect this but was told by the Receptionist that she didn't have the authority and anyway we had been moved!!. Had they carried out my request, a move would not have been necessary. I also believe that if a quiet room was not available then I should have been told.
My second grumble was that having left my nightdress behind and notified the hotel within half an hour of our departure, it took them 4 weeks to return it.despite several emails. I was also asked how I intended to pay for the postage!.
Having emailed the General Manager with my complaints two weeks ago, I am still awaiting his response.
Poor administration and the Compact Room is a large Single.
The silver lining is the restaurant, where a varied Menu is available and the staff although new and short staffed were friendly and helpful.
We have cause to visit Taunton several times annually but this venue will not be at the top of our list.

• Stayed September 2013
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

We got a great deal for one nights stay in a compact double for £14 so the value was outstanding.

The hotel itself is lovely with a quorky design and very close to the town centre (5 mins walk). Parking is available but the car park is very tight.

Cannot comment on the food as we didnt eat there.

The room was indeed a compact double, clean and with enough room for two but the big criticism was that the bed was tiny! I cannot believe it was a double which made it a poor nights sleep for two average sized people. Also, I opened the window for some air but had to close it again because the nise of the morning shift starting work from about 5am was too loud.

Overall, a nice place but not a gpod nights sleep for us but it may better in standard rooms

• Stayed October 2013