“A great location!”

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Calgary, Canada
“A great location!”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I arrived in Taunton without a place to stay. The TI was not particularly helpful, although they did provide a map marked with potential places to stay. I had seen this hotel's website before my trip so I knew it was a possibility. I arrived and got a compact double. While it was definitely compact, the space was well utilized and I appreciated the small fridge provided. My only possible quibble was that the wifi was not available in my room but was at the top of the stairs, where there were comfortable chairs. Also, although I didn't book through laterooms, the same price was available at the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
eastern england
Reviewed October 9, 2013

A reservation was made through Booking.com, for two nights in a Standard Double Room at the beginning of September. I had requested the allocation of a quiet room which despite confirmation proved not to be the case, the room overlooked the junction. We were moved to a quiet room the following day having complained, however it was to a Compact Room which comes in at a lower Room Rate. Upon Check out I requested a reduction in the bill to reflect this but was told by the Receptionist that she didn't have the authority and anyway we had been moved!!. Had they carried out my request, a move would not have been necessary. I also believe that if a quiet room was not available then I should have been told.
My second grumble was that having left my nightdress behind and notified the hotel within half an hour of our departure, it took them 4 weeks to return it.despite several emails. I was also asked how I intended to pay for the postage!.
Having emailed the General Manager with my complaints two weeks ago, I am still awaiting his response.
Poor administration and the Compact Room is a large Single.
The silver lining is the restaurant, where a varied Menu is available and the staff although new and short staffed were friendly and helpful.
We have cause to visit Taunton several times annually but this venue will not be at the top of our list.

• Stayed September 2013
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

We got a great deal for one nights stay in a compact double for £14 so the value was outstanding.

The hotel itself is lovely with a quorky design and very close to the town centre (5 mins walk). Parking is available but the car park is very tight.

Cannot comment on the food as we didnt eat there.

The room was indeed a compact double, clean and with enough room for two but the big criticism was that the bed was tiny! I cannot believe it was a double which made it a poor nights sleep for two average sized people. Also, I opened the window for some air but had to close it again because the nise of the morning shift starting work from about 5am was too loud.

Overall, a nice place but not a gpod nights sleep for us but it may better in standard rooms

• Stayed October 2013
swansea
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We did not pay a lot for this room and it exceeded our expectations ,We were greeted by friendly staff,.The room was and clean rooms. We did had a compact double ,which we knew we were staying in before hand ,It was more than enough room for a short stay .The Bath room was quiet large and a big plus the towels were big white & soft fluffy

Room Tip: don,t have room 16 if your staying more than one night .There was a dull drone in the back ground mo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2013

My first stay was in August for 5 nights with breakfast and the grand total was about £400 which I thought was extremely steep. When we got into our first room which was right at the top of the hotel we were shocked at how very small it was and the bathroom was merely a cupboard in the corner of the room so there wasn't very much privacy. The window had clearly been left wide open all day so it was a bit cold, there was a dirty wine glass and toilet paper scattered around the floor, and on the walls there was what appeared to be a smear of blood. At the price we paid I was shocked at the state it was in and we complained to reception straight away but because we had arrived very late and were tired we decided we'd stay in it for the night and deal with it the next morning when the manager arrived. We understood that it wasn't their fault and there was just a problem with the cleaning staff. The next day the manager came up to the room and was extremely apologetic and thankfully moved us to a lovely room on the first floor which was much larger and thankfully a lot cleaner, in fact it was absolutely perfect apart from the fact it was on a main corridor which people walk past all the time so it was quite noisy and we could hear people talking from time to time. The breakfast was absoutely lovely each morning and the location couldn't have been any better, my boyfriend was at work during the day so I spent most of my time walking around the shops which are only 5 minutes away and even found a little gem called Vivary Park where I ate lunch everyday. The staff were also very polite and friendly and after the first night I did thoroughly enjoy my stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

I have very little to say except that it was an excellent stay. Friendly staff, neat and clean rooms. Excellent view from my room as well.

Only negative about this hotel is the restaurant, and this is only the service I'm talking about. The service was SLOW! My wife had finished her meal before the waiter finally came with her water. I had to ask THREE times before a waiter came to our table to refill our drinks, as they were all busy chatting among their fellow staff. The food itself, though overpriced, was excellent.

Would DEFINITELY stay here again!

Stayed September 2013
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Quite a nice room, with comfy pillows but quilt very thin and was cold during the night. Dinner was disappointing - ordered chicken which came pasted all over with thick yellow sauce that I had to scrape off. Breakfast was eggs benedict, but to my horror, it had exactly the same thick yellow paste all over it that I had scraped off my chicken the night before - yuk! As I was on my own in the restaurant which was quite empty, I would have thought the staff could have considered that I didn't really want to sit sandwiched in between two other tables with men, and facing another table with a solo male - felt a bit overlooked which wasn't very nice. I suppose I could have asked to move but didn't. There were private tables available, but I think the main consideration for the staff was to have all the clients lined up in a row for ease of service. Service was also a little slow, considerning there were 3 waitors and only 4 tables in use. Staff were quite helpful though with directions etc. and overall not too bad, but wouldn't stay there again given a choice. Didn't feel it was very good value for money, particularly the food prices for the quality (no veg with the chicken - extra charge for that).There was quite a lot of noise in the bedroom too from people walking about on the next floor up.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo