“Fab 3 days”

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Scunthorpe
“Fab 3 days”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Lovely hotel and friendly staff, spotlessly clean rooms. The food was amazing, we booked bed breakfast and dinner and expected to get a set menu but was pleasantly surprised when we could choose anything from the menu, don't know who the chef is but he/she is excellent.
Although the hotel is old, and I expect has to adhere to planning etc, it has been decorated and modified tastefully. I would have given 6 stars but our room at the front was rather noisy, more especially I think, because the hotel is situated at traffic lights and emergency vehicles seem to use their sirens to get through them quickly on the way to the nearby hospital.
We didn't know when we booked, but the Taunton Flower and produce show was taking place when we were there and we'll certainly book again to go next year.

Room Tip: Room at the back if you want a quiet night's sleep.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Truro, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

As has been said the food is very good and there were no errors with our dinner. It was a shame that the breakfast sausage was not as good as the night before.

The room was in a poor state of repair and it felt grubby, although it may not have been. We didn't feel we could take a shower or have a bath . . . but for the price I suppose it was OK . . . BUT! The windows were in a very shabby state and the curtains horrid.
Service was OK, but the male on reception was not good. We discovered in the morning that we had no toiletries, but it was too late by then. When I mentioned it at reception I was told I should have done something about it sooner!!!
After we left we thought we'd left our phone charger there and rang to ask. The female on reception said she would ring me back and 3 weeks later, I still haven't heard. That is very poor.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Rotherham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Using this whilst working in Taunton. The room is clean, relatively cheap (I paid £65 a night most of the time) and well positioned. It has a restaurant where they serve breakfast (pay for this when you check-n not during the booking, its cheaper) and a nice bar when you can chill after work.

The internet connection is a bit flaky but I managed to get 4G some of the time.

Overall its nice enough place and worth the money. I have and would stay again

Room Tip: There is a Tesco just round the corner if you don't fancy eating in the restaurant which can be...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Ashford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel at the weekend and whilst it was ok, there were a few things which would have made it so much better. We went for a standard double which was very basic for the price. There was a crack in the window, and the basin in the bathroom had not been cleaned properly (and was not while we were there). There are no bedside tables or even a small shelf to put your bedtime drink/book on, despite there being room. We ate in the restaurant on Friday evening, with a table booked for 8.15pm. We weren't called through until 8.45 and didn't have anything to eat until gone 9. Service was poor, with our vegetables not being brought until we had finished our main courses! So they were taken away again - and put on the bill! On the Saturday morning we were not greeted or shown a table for breakfast and I had to grab someone passing to ask for some tea and toast. Extra toast was ordered but never showed up. For the extra we paid, the breakfast was really disappointing. On the Sunday, service was much better, and seemed to rely on someone who hadn't been there on Saturday holding everyone together. On the whole, I wouldn't recommend this hotel unless you get one of the £30 deals I have been reading in other reviews - in which case it is probably good value for money!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views - ours was of a roof covered in fag butts and was overlooked.
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Our destination was actually Torquay, but we chose to stay at The Corner House because of the price, especially over the August bank holiday. Some reviews have not been so kind but we decided to take a chance and we're very pleased we did! From the outside, the hotel looked beautiful - clean, tidy and very welcoming, as were all the indoor communal areas. All staff were very friendly, tentative & helpful. We had booked a 'compact double' but we have a 10 month old baby, so I telephoned once we'd booked to let them know we'd be bringing our own travel cot. I was informed that they would do their best to put us in a room with more floor space. The only slight criticism I have is that our room was on the second floor, & approached only via one decent staircase and one very steep & narrow staircase. Had we known this, we possibly would have asked for a room on the first floor. However, it didn't actually cause much hassle and we hadn't taken a lot of luggage with us (just pointing out in case it can be useful to anyone else!) We had dinner in the hotel restaurant on our first night - the food and service were excellent. They offer a nice menu and we took advantage of their early bird dinner offer. Our room, although very basic, was extremely clean and we have no negative comments to make. The room we stayed in was definitely not 'compact' in our opinion - our daughter had lots of floor space to crawl & play in! There was a travel cot already set up and an en-suite with a bath and overhead shower - very useful when travelling with a baby! Breakfast is possibly a little overpriced but saying that, the full English was very tasty! The quality of the ingredients is excellent, but perhaps should be served on smaller plates (perfectly adequate amount but looked slightly 'lost' on the large plates!) Overall, we had a fab stay and would not hesitate to book again in the future! Thank you!

• Stayed August 2013
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013

thank you for a lovely stay. the compact room for £30 was a absolute bargain. we enjoyed our stay and the staff where lovely.
The hotel is as explained a low cost chic hotel so I didn't delude my self before my arrival.

we ate in the sausage and wine which I might add do an early bird menu between 6 and 7. £15.95 per head. The breakfast was over priced and the waitress didn't really attend to my diet requirements. We would stay again if we where passing through Taunton. Thank you once again.

1 Thank MichelleHill33
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Corner House Hotel, Taunton. We were really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and have passed your comments around the team. We are very much a budget boutique hotel right in the heart of Taunton offering great value rooms from £30 on a Sunday. We do offer a full English breakfast and Continental Buffet for £5.95 per person. In our Wine & Sausage Restaurant we do offer an Early Bird each evening between 6pm and 7pm where you can enjoy two courses for £13.95 or three courses for £15.95. We look forward to welcoming you both back soon and thank you again for your kind comments.
Dorking, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013

The most dismal hotel experience I have encountered. Receptionist ubrupt in her manner when escorting us to our room. Bar/waiting staff extremely poor, bar stools and tables left unclean, room very grubby, staff ignored us when waiting for a drink at the bar, asked for a wine list prior to dining, no-one asked if we would like to order any wine, partners starter was forgotten to be delivered. The food overall far outshone the attitude of the staff on duty. When I complained the guy was attentive but did not offer to find a Manager to deal with the issues raised. Could not recommend this venue at all.

2 Thank Twincam1558
Thank you for taking the time to write a review however I can only apologise as clearly you did not enjoy your stay with us. We pride ourselves on our customer service and so please may I assure you that your recent experience is not our usual standard. I have tried today to look into this matter further. Please could I kindly ask you to contact me directly to gain more details and I assure you that I will resolve this matter immediately. I look forward to speaking to you soon. Email manager@corner-house.co.uk

Travelers are raving about these Taunton hotels