“Wine and Sausage Restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Corner House Hotel

The Corner House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Taunton
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Wine and Sausage Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I have just celebrated our wedding anniversary this Sunday 4th November and we had a meal here in this restaurant of the Corner House Hotel.

It was superb and will most definately be going back there for another meal.

If I were to score out of 10 I'd give it 9

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful building. Small car park. Chipped paintwork. Friendly receptionist. All staff in training on saturday morning so breakfast took 35 minutes and was cold. No milk on the table for our tea. Waitress was snappy with another customer. Room however was warm a good size with a proper bath. Carton of milk in the fridge nice touch. Ok stay but not great.

• Stayed November 2012
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

This could be a nice hotel. If someone bothered to maintain it. The location is great, though the car park is too small and the exit is tight!

It's october. It's likely to be cold overnight. But the heating was not working. Ok somethings things fail. But that doesn't explain the window that doesn't have a working catch so falls open. Now I managed to jam it shut with the teaspoons in the room. But there was still a draft coming around it. I'm sure management will claim a listed building prevents a better solution. Yet I work in a listed building with similar windows, and we don't have this problem...

I've stayed here previously and been disappointed (the next rooms shower water coming up my shower drain is not what I expect), but thought I'd give them a fair shot. Let down again.

If I had paid £50 for the room I would have thought that about right. As it is it was an £85 B&B rate. You'd be better off staying at the Salisbury House Hotel, and definately better off at the Premier Inn.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Taunton hotels

Tadworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I received a warm welcome. The receptionist offered to carry my bag upstairs, which was a great help for me.

There was a very unpleasant smell of drains in the bathroom; hardly any water came out of the shower and the water was extremely slow draining form the basin ( which quite possibly contributed to the smell.). On immediately pointing all this out at reception, the room was changed right away. No surprise was expressed in reaction or expression and I got the impression that they might have been aware of the problems. However, the second room (24) was perfectly fine and very clean. The only thing was, which, of course, I didn't find out until later, was that the mattress was really not very good quality. I felt it had had very heavy use. I think it would be great if hotels bought their beds from Ikea, as they are always very good quality, firm, supportive and comfortable( ... no, I'm not on commission from them!)- they're also an incredibly reasonable price, with a 10 year mattress guarantee. Anyway, enough of the sales pitch! The staff were helpful in suggesting the museum to visit and giving directions and staff taking orders and serving dinner were great and made me very welcome, as a solo traveller. There's no lift, which might be a problem for some people, but, all in all a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Newquay, Cornwall
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the past year and each time it provides a consistent standard both in welcome and facilities. Welcome was very friendly although the car park was getting a little tight (more of that later.). Room was ideal for a single business traveller although would not be so happy if this had been booked for two of us. This said the room is described as compact on our company booking icons so can't say fairer than that. Bathroom big and very clean as was the whole hotel. Never visited and found any kind of cleaning issue as described in some other reviews. TV is excellent and so are tea and coffee making facilities. Best touch by far is the fresh milk in the fridge. Dinner was something else what a lovely meal from the restaurant, no room service but quite happy for me to take to my room as I was working. Beautiful toad in the hole with a delicious gravy and mash.fabulous. Breakfast was equally wonderful with lots on offer and friendly service. Only two slight downsides on this visit. Firstly, I stayed in room 16 and this was just too far away from the hotel router to make the free wifi usable, could connect in the reception but by the time I arrived back in room it had dropped out. Secondly and not a major issue for me but it could have been, the parking was a nightmare, not necessarily the hotels fault but very selfish guests double parking. If I had had to leave for a train for example as on previous stays I would have missed the train as one chap had to wait 30 minutes to get on car out and only then because of the efforts of the hotel chef acting as a car park attendant. Mine was a quicker job as it was a staff car double parked. Don't let this put you off of a wonderful hotel though.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

On the plus size, the room size was excellent and had a lovely bathroom.

On the other hand, the curtains and carpets were dirty and stained. The windows rattled with the wind (not great if you're a light sleeper). I was very disappointed for what I paid I would have expected a cleaner more comfortable room. We didn't like even sitting in the chair as most of the furnishings were not clean. The roof also had a big damp stain with some mold - not nice to look at. There was also some sort of tube of dirty stale water attached to the mirror, I assume it was for flowers, but if it's not going to be used for that purpose then one would expect it to at least be cleaned out.

The hotel has a lot of potential but they do need to improve the state of furnishings, curtains and carpets. I would not recommend this hotel, the price is not reflective of the quality you would expect. I wish I had spent a few more pounds and stayed in the clean holiday inn.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CHH01, General Manager at The Corner House Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Firstly may I apologise in that you were put in a room that had a plumbing leak from the room above as this should never have happened. May I advise that since your stay the leak has been fixed and the ceiling has been redecorated. Our budget rooms are spacious, clean and very comfortable, however Room 2 is overlooking the main road and so I would suggest a larger and quieter room overlooking our car park at the rear of the hotel. We are currently creating a concept room with a new colour scheme which will be rolled out throughout all our 44 Rooms. Please may I again offer our apologies for not experiencing our usual guest experience and truly believe that if Room 2 had not had the leak then the other points would not have been investigated so deeply. We look forward to showing you one of our new rooms during your next stay.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

for a one night stay the hotel was fine, however room 15 that I was allocated was very small for my expectation of a standard double room, and bathroom compact.
parking was a struggle arriving at 7.30pm.
Breakfast was fantastic value and even though short staff i felt the service received was good, felt like a sunday morning relaxing atmosphere that was cosy.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo